Message in a Bottle

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
This is really lovely. Andrew Malcolm has been launching messages in bottles since the 1950s, and has received quite a few replies. Great read!

Imagine typing a message, sending it off and waiting months for a reply, even years.

In an age of instant communications, we get annoyed if we must wait 30 minutes for a reply. I’m still awaiting replies to messages I launched decades ago – in bottles.

One day around 1950 on a ferry far off the New England coast, my father suggested we write a note, slip it into a bottle and toss it into the North Atlantic to see what might happen.

That was the first of many times we did that. We called it “doing a bottle.” It became an avocation I continue to this day.

Back at home after a bedtime story, Dad would reach to turn off the light. Just before darkness captured my room, he’d say, “I wonder where our bottle is tonight?”

So I would drift off to sleep, imagining the exotic foreign lands where our bottle might be washing ashore, and who might be finding it at that very moment. The bottles might have to survive fierce storms and rocky shores. They could land on a beach, then be washed out to sea again before someone happened by.

Dad and I got a world map so we might discuss possible landing spots, which, of course, meant researching ocean currents and foreign lands.

It’s not a coincidence that my first career goal was to become a foreign correspondent traveling to far-off lands to witness exotic events and sights, talk to strangers and write newspaper stories to send home – via cable in those days.

Here’s the amazing thing: I’ve received answers to my messages in bottles, many of them, in fact....

Messages in a bottle: Mysterious missives to distant strangers

I'd guess that beaches where sea glass washes up oughta be a good place to look.

I'd guess that beaches where sea glass washes up oughta be a good place to look.

I love looking for sea glass. There is a beach in Mendocino where I found found some really lovely pieces. No message in bottles, though. :(

I love looking for sea glass. There is a beach in Mendocino where I found found some really lovely pieces. No message in bottles, though. :(

Well hey send some out then. :eusa_dance:

Send a message in a bottle about sending messages in bottles. And ask the finder to send a message about the message about the message in another bottle.

I've read about that beach :) Know a great spot for it in Cape Breton which is prolly out of your range.
But my guess is the same currents would bring in intact glass as well as the shattered. :dunno:

Well hey send some out then. :eusa_dance:

Send a message in a bottle about sending messages in bottles. And ask the finder to send a message about the message about the message in another bottle.

I've read about that beach :) Know a great spot for it in Cape Breton which is prolly out of your range.
But my guess is the same currents would bring in intact glass as well as the shattered. :dunno:

Dagnabbit! I'm inspired to have a new mission. Messages in a Bottle from BATFINK!!!!

Batfink
by boedicca on US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Someone needs to inform Andy that they have this thing called emails today.

That's missing the point. An email completely lacks the charm and randomness of a message in a bottle.

30 years from now, a bottle washes up on a shore in California. An old man opens it, takes out a piece of paper and is astonished! It's a message. It said, "hillary lost, are you over it yet?"

30 years from now, a bottle washes up on a shore in California. An old man opens it, takes out a piece of paper and is astonished! It's a message. It said, "hillary lost, are you over it yet?"

Damn you. I just did a Cappuccino Angry Dragon all over my keyboard.

Amazin'. We got to SEVEN WHOLE POSTS before some obsessed asshat tried to make it about politics.

Seven.

thud.gif

We're gettin' better I tell ya.

Anyhoo, back to the #1 post. I think this is quite lovely and rather refreshing when contrasted with the revolting Pop Culture that poisons present day existence.

Anyhoo, back to the #1 post. I think this is quite lovely and rather refreshing when contrasted with the revolting Pop Culture that poisons present day existence.

Imagine how many message-bottles may be washing up in plain sight while beachgoers stare blankly into their rectangular gods, blithely oblivious to everything going on around them. :(

Imagine how many message-bottles may be washing up in plain sight while beachgoers stare blankly into their rectangular gods, blithely oblivious to everything going on around them. :(

Indeed.

Thursday night mr. boe and I went out to dinner at one of our favorite local spots. At the table next to us were a middle aged couple and two millenials (one looked like she was their daughter). All four spent the entire meal playing with their "smart" phones instead of actually having a conversation.

How sad.

Indeed.

Thursday night mr. boe and I went out to dinner at one of our favorite local spots. At the table next to us were a middle aged couple and two millenials (one looked like she was their daughter). All four spent the entire meal playing with their "smart" phones instead of actually having a conversation.

How sad.

I'm ever reminded of being on a light rail train in --- Boston, Chicago, wherever it was, doesn't matter --- looking at six people standing on the other side of the car. Older, younger, male, female, black, white and Hispanic. Obviously six unrelated people. All six of them staring at and punching on, rectangular devices in their hands, oblivious to everything around them including each other. All I could think was, I should have torn the cover off that book of matches and sent away for that pickpocket correspondence course. I could be cleaning up right now.

Say, speaking of water and since you're in the Bay area -- have you been to the Wave Organ? That seems like a cool thingy.

Forum List

Back