MLK Jr. Day: Fun Facts

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
King was such a gifted student that he skipped grades nine and 12 before enrolling in 1944 at Morehouse College, the alma mater of his father and maternal grandfather. Although he was the son, grandson and great-grandson of Baptist ministers, King did not intend to follow the family vocation until Morehouse president Benjamin E. Mays, a noted theologian, convinced him otherwise. King was ordained before graduating college with a degree in sociology.

In 1983 President Ronald Reagan signed a bill that created a federal holiday to honor King. The holiday, first commemorated in 1986, is celebrated on the third Monday in January, close to the civil rights leader’s January 15 birthday.

In 1983 President Ronald Reagan signed a bill that created a federal holiday to honor King. The holiday, first commemorated in 1986, is celebrated on the third Monday in January, close to the civil rights leader’s January 15 birthday.
Many conservatives still do not recognize it

He's the only other American, other than George Washington, to have a holiday to himself. I don't think anyone really recognizes any holidays for what they are..... except for maybe Veteran's Day......

He's the only other American, other than George Washington, to have a holiday to himself. I don't think anyone really recognizes any holidays for what they are..... except for maybe Veteran's Day......
What day does George Washington's holiday land on?

Lincoln and Washington both used to have a day, then they combined all of the presidents on one.

No mail today? That's all it would mean to me. Lots of people have done a lot for this country. I don't like singling out one for the purpose of political correctness. Lincoln did more for blacks than king and 600,000 Americans died.

I have no reason to do so. I'll stick with Robert E. Lee Day. It's today, too, in case you didn't know.

While he never completely abandoned his commitment to traditional American principles, towards the end of his life King embraced views which were more in line with progressives like Franklin Roosevelt and Lyndon Johnson than Abraham Lincoln or the Founders. For example, King advocated for extensive anti-poverty and wealth redistribution programs.

In light of this tension in King’s thinking, what are we to make of his political teachings and, ultimately, his legacy?

Peter Myers, a political science professor at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, explains in “Martin Luther King, Jr., and the American Dream,” that the key to properly understanding King is to distinguish the two phases of his activism.

After the passage of the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act, King’s focus shifted from racial inequality and natural rights-based advocacy to a broader conception of socioeconomic inequality and the modern progressive notion of positive rights-based advocacy. This marked the beginning of the second phase of King’s advocacy, which lasted until his death in 1968.

Martin Luther King Jr.’s Time as a Progressive Activist

I have no reason to do so. I'll stick with Robert E. Lee Day. It's today, too, in case you didn't know.

A man who fought to enslave other humans

While he never completely abandoned his commitment to traditional American principles, towards the end of his life King embraced views which were more in line with progressives like Franklin Roosevelt and Lyndon Johnson than Abraham Lincoln or the Founders. For example, King advocated for extensive anti-poverty and wealth redistribution programs.

In light of this tension in King’s thinking, what are we to make of his political teachings and, ultimately, his legacy?

Peter Myers, a political science professor at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, explains in “Martin Luther King, Jr., and the American Dream,” that the key to properly understanding King is to distinguish the two phases of his activism.

After the passage of the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act, King’s focus shifted from racial inequality and natural rights-based advocacy to a broader conception of socioeconomic inequality and the modern progressive notion of positive rights-based advocacy. This marked the beginning of the second phase of King’s advocacy, which lasted until his death in 1968.

Martin Luther King Jr.’s Time as a Progressive Activist

MLK would have been appalled at the policies of the Republican Party

A man who fought to enslave other humans

That's the indoctrinated opinion. Try reading about Lee and why he chose the way he did. You are aware he was offered a senior command position with the Union forces?

Forum List

Back