More than 70 Sears stores to close across the country

consequences of a stolen election, my friends

rarely happened under Trump

:wtf:

I had to look to make sure this isn't satire........ Result of a stolen election? Really? Where have you been the last couple of decades, in a hermits cave? Sears has been dying off for a couple of decades now and may be taking their final breath with this. It has everything to do with shifting markets and nothing to do with elections.

SEARS was ahead of the curve for a long time. They seemed like the company that could have been AMAZON.

Hasn’t Sears been gone a few years now?
In Jackson, TN, probably 3 or more, with the closing announced almost a year before that. Goldsmith/Macy's has closed on the north end of the mall. Old Hickory mall at Christmastime is not what it used to be. Large brick and mortar retail stores have been and are having a tough go of it, and Malls in general.

I was retired by the time this deal got dealt, but my old colleagues and partners were unanimous in their disdain for this bit of business. KMart & Sears......a sick dog mating with a dying dog, ain't a recipe for success.

There was some speculation that Ed Lampert did it because he had a 'real-estate play' as the floor to the merger. Meaning, the old Sears and KMart stores sat on ground they owned. And some of it had appreciated considerably from purchase...and was likely valued very near zero on the balance sheets. So the merger could pick up big big assets that were not reflected in the price.
I'm long away from the game, so have not followed if the 'real estate play'....actually played out, or paid off.

As some poster mentioned......Sears could have been Amazon. Well, actually, they were Amazon at one time. Or at least the equivalent of it. Sears drove many small mom & pop rural general stores out of business....with their catalog and warehouses full of inventory, and US Postal Service.
But times change. Business changes.

Remember Wayne Huizenga with his pocket full of Waste Management cash buying.....and greatly expanding.....Blockbuster Video?

Times change. Businesses change. Competition changes. Things go kaboom!

Sears killed itself with shitty "service", that has become legendary in its suckery.
The also hastened their demise by venturing into the financial industry.
consequences of a stolen election, my friends

rarely happened under Trump

No one could have prevented
Sears demise. Their last chance to survive was when G.E. Capital took over ownership of the company in the 80"s

Their marketing strategies were stale and outdated, just like their stores, and when they embarked into the financial services sector as the parent of companies like Allstate insurance, Dean Witter Financial Services Group and Coldwell Banker & Company, the real estate firm, that did not help them either.

Add the expansion of Walmart in the mid 90's to the equation and they were done.

We lost ours (a very large one, one of the anchors of Old Hickory Mall, years ago, during the Trump administration. Sears has been going downhill for years.
Lost ours several years ago now. The service really did get worse and worse, and the entry into clothes ------- BAD decision.

The also hastened their demise by venturing into the financial industry.

No one could have prevented
Sears demise. Their last chance to survive was when G.E. Capital took over ownership of the company in the 80"s

Their marketing strategies were stale and outdated, just like their stores, and when they embarked into the financial services sector as the parent of companies like Allstate insurance, Dean Witter Financial Services Group and Coldwell Banker & Company, the real estate firm, that did not help them either.

Add the expansion of Walmart in the mid 90's to the equation and they were done.
They used to have parts catalogs for everything and you could order the parts and fix it yourself ----- and then they stopped that! It was so disappointing.

And they started that awful "warranty" thing where the appliance salesman harasses the customer for a long time to buy (throw away hundreds of dollars on) some extra warranty. I was young when I first experienced it at Sears --- it was a stove, and the repulsive worthless nothing nagged and nagged and I just said no, no, no and finally that turkey said that we had to SIGN A PAPER saying he had explained all the great advantages to us and we had all the same, amazingly, failed to agree. And my then-husband (note the "then") signed it!!

Appliance stores still do the warranty trick. I'm pretty curt about refusing now, but it's hard to stop them carrying on. I've decided I'm done with this kind of bullying and will tell them up front that any talk of warranties at the end of the sale, and I will walk out immediately, complaining all the way. And Sears started all this, so I'm glad they are out of business.

Last edited:
Lost ours several years ago now. The service really did get worse and worse, and the entry into clothes ------- BAD decision.
I grew up getting a lot of clothes from Sears, all the way back to Sears and Roebuck. Their purchasing decisions became worse in that area over the years. They have been winding down, a long time.

They used to have parts catalogs for everything and you could order the parts and fix it yourself ----- and then they stopped that! It was so disappointing.

And they started that awful "warranty" thing where the appliance salesman harasses the customer for a long time to buy (throw away hundreds of dollars on) some extra warranty. I was young when I first experienced it at Sears --- it was a stove, and the repulsive worthless nothing nagged and nagged and I just said no, no, no and finally that turkey said that we had to SIGN A PAPER saying he had explained all the great advantages to us and we had all the same, amazingly, failed to agree. And my then-husband (note the "then") signed it!!

They still do the warranty trick. I'm pretty curt about refusing now, but it's hard to stop them carrying on. I've decided I'm done with this kind of bullying and will tell them up front that any talk of warranties at the end of the sale, and I will walk out immediately, complaining all the way. And Sears started all this, so I'm glad they are out of business.
I remember the days that you speak of. My most frustrating experience with them has been their service on appliances.

Last year, I waited a month just to get the icemaker replaced in my refrigerator, in the middle of the summer.

Even though I bought their so called "Peace of Mind" extended warranty in good faith, I certainly did not feel peace of mind when I had to make multiple trips to the store to buy ice, while they kept us waiting.

Forum List

Back