New Mosquito-borne Virus Spreads

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
AOL.com Article - New mosquito-borne virus spreads in Latin America

Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, which transmit dengue fever as well as chikungunya, stand in a cage to be examined by scientists at the Gorgas Memorial Institute for Health Studies in Panama City, Friday, Sept. 26, 2014. Chikungunya is a word that comes from the Makonde language of Tanzania and translates roughly as “that which bends up,” in reference to the severe arthritis-like ache in the joints that causes sufferers to contort with pain. It’s usually accompanied by a spiking fever and headache.

Mosquito's are terrible! They're the one species of animal that I would wish off of this planet!

There are a lot of different traps that you can find online to get rid of them but there will always be more!

It seems that DDT is the best way to kill them. I know that it's terrible for the planet but if someone came up with a plan to use DDT to kill ALL of the bastards then I'd be willing to live with whatever the consequences were :thup:

I already have RA...so I know the pain of which they speak. Heaven forbid I get bit by one of them skeeters and have it doubled. Oy.

Mosquito's are terrible! They're the one species of animal that I would wish off of this planet!

There are a lot of different traps that you can find online to get rid of them but there will always be more!

It seems that DDT is the best way to kill them. I know that it's terrible for the planet but if someone came up with a plan to use DDT to kill ALL of the bastards then I'd be willing to live with whatever the consequences were :thup:

That and fleas, ticks and cocroaches. Fleas and mosquitos have killed many millions of people over the centuries and left many millions more physically devastated with permanent injury. We would pool our resources as nations to wipe out these dangerous pests and blood suckers but their victims are almost entirely in the poorest of countries and usually of little consequence to the wealty countries.

Eventually something will breed in these insects that passes through the normal barriers that protect the U S A and Europe and if there are enough casualties we will finally aim our science at erradicating these worthless and deadly vermin. We have the means...just not the will. Let the owners of Walmart go to an out door picnic and die from something biting them and we would move heaven and earth to squash the source. Short of that we are totally content to see 100 million poor Africans or South Americans die on our T V sets. We secretly think to ourselves..."better them than us. The world can't afford to feed them anyways."

Even if it meant retiring your screen name, Black Flag?

Yes, DDT was widely used for years and killed lots of things besides mosquitoes.

I already have RA...so I know the pain of which they speak. Heaven forbid I get bit by one of them skeeters and have it doubled. Oy.

You can take a bath in skin so soft by Avon and they will not come near you - or you can rub it on your skin without the bath. Still works - they won't bother you, Gracie. Try that.

AOL.com Article - New mosquito-borne virus spreads in Latin America

Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, which transmit dengue fever as well as chikungunya, stand in a cage to be examined by scientists at the Gorgas Memorial Institute for Health Studies in Panama City, Friday, Sept. 26, 2014. Chikungunya is a word that comes from the Makonde language of Tanzania and translates roughly as “that which bends up,” in reference to the severe arthritis-like ache in the joints that causes sufferers to contort with pain. It’s usually accompanied by a spiking fever and headache.

Dammit — where's a frick'n asteroid the size of Rhode Island when we really need one?!?!? :badgrin:

Mosquitoes feed alot of fish

Actually they don't. I have done a bit of research on this subject and the food mass in the specific catagory your comment refers to is about less than 1.5% of the food fish and birds eat. Many miss informed people believe that bats for instance eat a lot of mosquitos but in fact they mainly eat moths as do other carnivors in the general catagory of insect preditors as the comon moth is roughly 100 times the mass volu
Mosquitoes feed alot of fish

Actually they don't. I have done a bit of research on this subject and the food mass in the specific catagory your comment refers to is about less than 1.5% of the food fish and birds eat. Many miss informed people believe that bats for instance eat a lot of mosquitos but in fact they mainly eat moths as do other carnivors in the general catagory of insect preditors as the comon moth is roughly 100 times the mass volume of food than the mosquito.
Also the ways of defeating the insects have gotten very specific to the exact species of insect. Did you know that there are over 3500 types of mosquito? The newer methods generate steril males that depending on the type manufactured (GM'd) can create female offspring that cannot fly or have several similar fatal flaws engineered into the reproductive characteristics. The main problem is that creating these GM'd insects is that it is very highly human intensive labor. AKA expensive.

Yes, DDT was widely used for years and killed lots of things besides mosquitoes.
Apparently its ban has killed more.

Yeah umm...without them everything from aquatic ecosystems to animal migrations would be devastated. You might want to pick up a book before making such a statement.

That's a crazy urban legend that has no basis in reality. DDT was abandoned for mass mosquito control mainly because it no longer worked. The bugs had developed resistance to it. If mass spraying was tried again, that resistance would pop back up even faster.

DDT is useful for household-level control, and there's no ban on it for that case. By ending the mass-spraying that would have led to total resistance and made DDT useless at a household level, Rachel Carson saved millions of lives.

Yeah umm...without them everything from aquatic ecosystems to animal migrations would be devastated. You might want to pick up a book before making such a statement.

Yea because life has never adapted and survived change before. You might want to go pick up a book about that.

That's a crazy urban legend that has no basis in reality. DDT was abandoned for mass mosquito control mainly because it no longer worked. The bugs had developed resistance to it. If mass spraying was tried again, that resistance would pop back up even faster.

DDT is useful for household-level control, and there's no ban on it for that case. By ending the mass-spraying that would have led to total resistance and made DDT useless at a household level, Rachel Carson saved millions of lives.
Crazy urban legend? NIH promotes crazy urban legends? Abuse of DDT May have been the problem but it's outright ban created a greater problem.

Crazy urban legend? NIH promotes crazy urban legends? Abuse of DDT May have been the problem but it's outright ban created a greater problem.

Hmmmm....ever seen a blue heron with it's bills twisted sideways? DDT is rotten stuff on fish and wildlife. I once powdered up my junk hair with it to get rid of the crabs....it worked and I didn't go sterile or grow another nose or anything.

Yea because life has never adapted and survived change before. You might want to go pick up a book about that.
Yeah unlike you I have. You probably think we could live without bees too.

Forum List

Back