NFL New Overtime Rule

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
New concept being considered is Extended Play

If the game ends and you have the ball on your opponents 35 yard line, you just keep the ball and continue the drive during an extended play period.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Just play a fifth quarter. Same rules as the previous 4 quarters....

This shouldn't be that difficult. If it ends in a tie...it ends in a tie. Two teams can be pretty evenly matched ya know.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

This shouldn't be that difficult. If it ends in a tie...it ends in a tie. Two teams can be pretty evenly matched ya know.
Do you start with a coin flip for possession or just continue play?

I like this idea, it changes how the team with possession would play late in the 4th quarter, maybe planning on just running the clock out. It would mean more games with OT.

you just continue play for another full quarter and keep doing so until someone is ahead when the clock runs out.
I prefer sudden death in the extended period
You score, you win

None of this….If you get a FG, the other team gets a chance. If you get a TD, game over

You score, you win

None of this….If you get a FG, the other team gets a chance. If you get a TD, game over
I don't like sudden death it's no better than free kicks in soccer.

In baseball and basketball you play out the innings or the quarter why should football be different?

I would do that and then go with the system they had until now. Wins and losses in a 17 game schedule means a lot for making and not making playoffs. As it is there may be tie breakers that eliminate teams even with expanded playoffs.

You score, you win

So If the score is tied at the end of the fourth quarter and the Raiders have the ball on the one yard line. Time expires. Do you kick off and have a sudden death period or do the Raiders keep the ball on the one?

I don't understand the opposition to just playing a fifth quarter. Can you detail it?

So If the score is tied at the end of the fourth quarter and the Raiders have the ball on the one yard line. Time expires. Do you kick off and have a sudden death period or do the Raiders keep the ball on the one?

I don't understand the opposition to just playing a fifth quarter. Can you detail it?
The proposed plan would allow the Raiders to pick up where they left off when the game ended.

If they had the ball at the opponents one, they would probably kick a field goal before the end of regulation

But say they had the ball at their own one when the game ended and it was fourth down. They would start the extended period at fourth down at their own one

If the game ends and you have the ball on your opponents 35 yard line, you just keep the ball and continue the drive during an extended play period.

I didn’t like the one where if you score a td and 2 point conversion the game is over. Just give the other team a chance period.

I’ll read the details on your option.

If the 4th quarter ends and I have the ball on the 50, I keep playing. What if I score in ot? Does the other team get a chance?

If the 4th quarter ends and I have the ball on the 50, I keep playing. What if I score in ot? Does the other team get a chance?

Look at it as continuation of the 4th quarter

Next team to score wins, Sudden Death

Its more fair than flipping a coin

I don’t like it. I can imagine Aaron Rogers has the ball on the 1 yard line with ten seconds to go. He needs to go 99 yards. You want to give him unlimited time?

I don’t like it. I can imagine Aaron Rogers has the ball on the 1 yard line with ten seconds to go. He needs to go 99 yards. You want to give him unlimited time?
I’ll take that over losing the coin flip and having him start the drive from the 25.

I just don’t like the idea the game is over, tied, and the team with the ball gets to use that to their benefit.

Aaron Rogers has them within field goal range with time running out But it’s a 48 yrd try. 2nd down. Spike the ball and kick a field goal? Nope. Just keep running plays. Bullshit! Lol

Forum List

Back