Not sure where to post this, but Shell gas stations making a come back?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
I thought it left in the 90's..... seen a new one being built on my way to work today.

Shell has been around this whole time, there's been one on my corner forever.

They recently purchased Texaco, and are re-branding them as Shell - so that might be what you're seeing.

There are literally 2 shells directly across the street from each other about half a mile from where I'm typing this. They've been there my whole life. Shell and Sunoco are very dominant in Northern Virginia which has many of the richest counties in this country. I'd say Shell is doing fine.

I've been filling up at Shells on cross country trips ever since I moved across the country two decades ago. Still do. Matter of fact, my first credit card ever was a Shell card, me a young college student, needing gasoline on occasion. Still have, and use, the card.

The magic and simplicity from the past.... will it ever come back? ....don't think so sadly :(

The magic and simplicity from the past.... will it ever come back? ....don't think so sadly :(

Yes...magic and simplicity...known as lead in the fuel and the pollution it entailed, horrendous fuel mileage because hey...being wasteful is so American!...and back when infant mortality was high and unpasteurized milk and e coli killed goodness knows how many people, polio was wiping out legions of the young, yup, darn modernization!! What were we thinking!

Yes...magic and simplicity...known as lead in the fuel and the pollution it entailed, horrendous fuel mileage because hey...being wasteful is so American!...and back when infant mortality was high and unpasteurized milk and e coli killed goodness knows how many people, polio was wiping out legions of the young, yup, darn modernization!! What were we thinking!

Whoa there homie...

:lol:

I've never understood why people fantasize about the past as much as they do.

The world changes. It always has, and it always will. There's no going back.

because.... like William Faulkner said:

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.”

Whoa there homie...

:lol:

I have noted that most of the people glorifying the good old days were not there to experiance them. Of course, one good thing about the good old days, was that half a century ago I was twenty instead of nearly seventy. Other than that, 2013 has a lot more going for it than 1963 did.

Something warm and fuzzy about "the good ol' days". Never quite figured it out either, unless it has something to do with that is when we were kids, and life revolved around playing and friends at school and an age of little responsibility and plenty of free time. Then adulthood hits and it isn't quite the same. But it anchors "the good ol' days" back in the past for the rest of our lives.

shell.jpg

Oh I just thought it was weird, I just remember shell & Standard were every where when I was a kid, then BP bought out standard/Amoco and then I thought shell just kind of the left the U.S. market for some reason. Then all of a sudden these mini mart gas stations, that I never heard of, started springing up every where.

Yeah. Haven't seen one in ages.
But then, I don't get out much.

Remember the Sinclair stations with the big green dinosaurs?

But of course. I buy gasoline there nearly every week. Are you under the impression that they are gone?

Where? just in Denver? I dont even remember them in the 70's? just pics......

Denver. Southern Kansas. Certainly north into Wyoming. Utah for sure. Not back east, haven't seen one east of the Mississippi before.

Forum List

Back