🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

NYPD’s stop-and-frisk blasted by judge, Mayor Bloomberg fights back

THORAX

Jul 22, 2013
A federal judge blasted the NYPD's use of stop-and-frisk as unconstitutional on Monday and appointed a federal monitor to oversee the program - a move Mayor Bloomberg warned could have deadly consequences.

"There is just no question that stop-question-frisk has saved countless lives. And we know that most of the lives saved, based on the statistics, have been black and Hispanic young men," a combative Bloomberg told reporters at City Hall, where he denounced the finding by Judge Shira Scheindlin that cops had been making "unconstitutional stops and conducting unconstitutional frisks" based on race.

The mayor said, "It's worth remembering that as recently as 1990, New York City averaged more than six murders a day. Today, we've driven that down to less than one murder a day.

"Think about what that change really means: if murder rates over the last 11 years had been the same as the previous 11 years, more than 7,300 people who today are alive would be dead" - and many of those lives were saved by stop and frisk.

"I worry for my kids and I worry for your kids," Bloomberg said.
In her pair of much-anticipated rulings, Scheindlin said stop and frisk is a perfectly legal practice - but the way the NYPD was carrying it out, including making hundreds of thousands of stops without reason, was not.
"To be very clear, I am not ordering an end to the practice of stop-and-frisk," Scheindlin wrote.

But in its current form, "the policy encourages the targeting of young black and Hispanic men based on their prevalence in local crime complaints. This is a form of racial profiling," she said.

NYPD?s stop-and-frisk blasted by judge, Mayor Bloomberg fights back * - NY Daily News

This is about the only thing Bloomberg is doing right. If he can defend Stop and Frisk and maintain the policy then in my eyes he has redeemed himself by me.

The people of new york can only be kept safe if Obamas and Trayvons and liberal voters are kept in check, otherwise the city will turn into another Chicago/Philly/Detroit.

obama said Chicago was a model for the nation. He meant it and he has judges to make it happen.

Well, being that 70% of the crimes is committed by blacks. How do you enforce the law without going after that portion of the city???

This will only end up with more dead blacks at the end of the day. Why do blacks so not want to bring up their children to want better?

I have to say that I have to agree in part with the courts here.

I have never liked the "Stop and Frisk" program.

The idea that simply walking down the street is sufficient reason for the cops to stop you and frisk you is a horrifiing thought to me. A pure violation of the 4th Amendment in my opinion.

I have to say that I have to agree in part with the courts here.

I have never liked the "Stop and Frisk" program.

The idea that simply walking down the street is sufficient reason for the cops to stop you and frisk you is a horrifiing thought to me. A pure violation of the 4th Amendment in my opinion.

I agree,

but the cops should still be able to go after the bad guys. :doubt: We need to work towards less crime. ;)

There are ways to prevent crime without violating the people's Constitutional Rights.

I don't care if it is in Miami, Detroit, New York, or TwoCalves. Our Rights are our Rights and the Government should not be violating them, even if it is the name of "Protecting" the populace.

Here's an idea. Let's enact government policies which do not result in criminals running freely in the streets like animals.

No, I don't mean harsher prison sentences and anally probing women at traffic stops.

I mean preventing them from becoming animals in the first place.

When you fuck things up this badly, the answer is not to become more of a dick. This is some kind of fucked up tunnel vision from which all totalitarians suffer.

We have a wide range of idiotic and dangerous policies, left and right, which have brought us to this point.

Last edited:
A federal judge blasted the NYPD's use of stop-and-frisk as unconstitutional on Monday and appointed a federal monitor to oversee the program - a move Mayor Bloomberg warned could have deadly consequences.

"There is just no question that stop-question-frisk has saved countless lives. And we know that most of the lives saved, based on the statistics, have been black and Hispanic young men," a combative Bloomberg told reporters at City Hall, where he denounced the finding by Judge Shira Scheindlin that cops had been making "unconstitutional stops and conducting unconstitutional frisks" based on race.

The mayor said, "It's worth remembering that as recently as 1990, New York City averaged more than six murders a day. Today, we've driven that down to less than one murder a day.

"Think about what that change really means: if murder rates over the last 11 years had been the same as the previous 11 years, more than 7,300 people who today are alive would be dead" - and many of those lives were saved by stop and frisk.

In her pair of much-anticipated rulings, Scheindlin said stop and frisk is a perfectly legal practice - but the way the NYPD was carrying it out, including making hundreds of thousands of stops without reason, was not.
"To be very clear, I am not ordering an end to the practice of stop-and-frisk," Scheindlin wrote.

But in its current form, "the policy encourages the targeting of young black and Hispanic men based on their prevalence in local crime complaints. This is a form of racial profiling," she said.

NYPD?s stop-and-frisk blasted by judge, Mayor Bloomberg fights back * - NY Daily News

This is about the only thing Bloomberg is doing right. If he can defend Stop and Frisk and maintain the policy then in my eyes he has redeemed himself by me.

The people of new york can only be kept safe if Obamas and Trayvons and liberal voters are kept in check, otherwise the city will turn into another Chicago/Philly/Detroit.

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to believe that stupidity and ignorance are not prerequisites to being a conservative.

The NYPD may continue to use a stop and frisk policy, there’s nothing in the ruling that changes that.

But New York must implement and use the policy correctly.

Being African-American or Hispanic alone does not justify a Terry Stop.

Being African-American or Hispanic alone does not constitute ‘reasonable suspicion.’

The NYPD is free to stop and frisk provided the stop is not predicated on racial profiling alone.

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to believe that stupidity and ignorance are not prerequisites to being a conservative.

The NYPD may continue to use a stop and frisk policy, there’s nothing in the ruling that changes that.

But New York must implement and use the policy correctly.

Being African-American or Hispanic alone does not justify a Terry Stop.

Being African-American or Hispanic alone does not constitute ‘reasonable suspicion.’

The NYPD is free to stop and frisk provided the stop is not predicated on racial profiling alone.

The judges ruling is bogus because there's no evidence that suggests racial profiling is taking place.

If all the crime in the city is being committed by blacks and latinos then you cannot say that stop and frisk is bad because it racially profiles.

Blacks and latinos racially profile themselves by committing all the crime.

Amos and Andy are trying to free up as many voters as they can for 2014.

How do we reduce crime...I'd say education and teaching our children moral standards.

Do you agree?

Minority children have the same access to education that other children have. If they wanted to learn they would be making an effort to do so. So education isn't the answer.

I think the problem is one of culture in the case of blacks and lack of assimilation in the case of hispanics.

How do we reduce crime...I'd say education and teaching our children moral standards.

Do you agree?

Minority children have the same access to education that other children have. If they wanted to learn they would be making an effort to do so. So education isn't the answer.

I think the problem is one of culture in the case of blacks and lack of assimilation in the case of hispanics.

It's the "I don't want to act 'White'" syndrome. To many of these kids, getting a decent education, learning to speak proper English, learning to read, learning to comprehend complex issues is "acting White" not to be done.

Do you agree?

It's the "I don't want to act 'White'" syndrome. To many of these kids, getting a decent education, learning to speak proper English, learning to read, learning to comprehend complex issues is "acting White" not to be done.

East Asians are the most intelligent group in this country. ;) We need to break this belief system.

The funny thing is that the last couple of decades of pop-culture media seemed to confirm the notion that right wing law-enforcement would cause violations of human rights. The exact opposite is in evidence and yet the radical left wing still thinks that the vast right wing conspiracy is the enemy.

Forum List

Back