Obama drone oversight proposal prompts concern over 'kill courts'

Hey, it didn't seem that way when Bush was President. So what's the deal?

When did I ever object to going after Al Qaeda?

Well, the fact you are defending Obama's behavior, when in one instance he DID NOT SEEK APPROVAL FROM CONGRESS in Libya, for example? Or what about just recently when his AG signed off on kill 4 American citizens "in his pursuit of Al-Qaeda"?

Funny how you so called "independents" work. You show the same partisan characteristics as the rest of them.

The question was when did I ever object to going after Al Qaeda?

Who makes the decision to execute Americans right now? The theory is that it's too hard to apprehend them so we launch a missile to kill them and their whole damned family if they are in the way because some unnamed bureaucrat puts him on the list? Dangerous stuff.

It's amazing that apparently there are some people who don't realize that Congress gave the President the authority to use force against Al Qaeda.

Care to show us where Congress gave the President the authority to kill American Citizens anywhere in the world if the President alone determines them to be threat without oversight or review?

That is the power Obama claims that he has.

Who makes the decision to execute Americans right now? The theory is that it's too hard to apprehend them so we launch a missile to kill them and their whole damned family if they are in the way because some unnamed bureaucrat puts him on the list? Dangerous stuff.

If Al Qaeda started recruiting sympathetic Americans to serve as human shields to protect their training camps, hideouts, homes, etc., from drone attacks,

based on your desired limitations on the use of that weapon,

might that not change your mind?

It's amazing that apparently there are some people who don't realize that Congress gave the President the authority to use force against Al Qaeda.

Care to show us where Congress gave the President the authority to kill American Citizens anywhere in the world if the President alone determines them to be threat without oversight or review?

You can't hide behind your American citizenship if you join forces with an enemy of the United States that the Congress has given the President the authority to use force against.

Nutters are so sad. A dude named Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, was killed and they were not the ones who got to do the killing. So, so, sad.

Having a 'Kill Court' issue a 'Kill Order' is better than having none - better than an unaccountable and anonymous bureaucrat issuing a 'Kill Order'.

Much better an unaccountable and anonymous judge.
We can always make the judge accountable, anyway...

And, who better to decide... a Judge, or some law-ignorant bureaucratic slug?

How?

And I don't see that it matters, frankly. If we're going to have bureaucrats sign off on people getting assassinated or secret courts it's unconstitutional regardless.

When did I ever object to going after Al Qaeda?

Well, the fact you are defending Obama's behavior, when in one instance he DID NOT SEEK APPROVAL FROM CONGRESS in Libya, for example? Or what about just recently when his AG signed off on kill 4 American citizens "in his pursuit of Al-Qaeda"?

Funny how you so called "independents" work. You show the same partisan characteristics as the rest of them.

The question was when did I ever object to going after Al Qaeda?

Actually, the question is: When did I say or imply that you objected to anything? Leave it to you to confirm it.

You can't hide behind your American citizenship if you join forces with an enemy of the United States that the Congress has given the President the authority to use force against.

Abdulrahman didn't "join forces with the enemy," nor should we simply take the administration's word for it that somebody did so. That's the purpose of due process.

As I said, show me where Congress gave the office of the President of the United States of America the authority to kill an American Citizen anywhere in the world, even issuing secret Kill on Sight orders, lwithout review or oversight simply because the President determined them to be a danger to the country.

As I said, show me where Congress gave the office of the President of the United States of America the authority to kill an American Citizen anywhere in the world, even issuing secret Kill on Sight orders, lwithout review or oversight simply because the President determined them to be a danger to the country.

Show me where the Congress could give that authority in the first place.

What? Congress was unaware of the drone strikes before they were carried out? I'm with you! Lets bring Obama up on murder charges!

The 'legality' and 'constitutionality' questions can be resolved by identifying the Legal Basis for such sorties.

I don't know how to find that, but I'm guessing it's there for the viewing, by someone with the savvy to ferret it out from amongst the tons of Federal legalese available online.

Ya'll don't really think that they would undertake such sorties without having had a fairly thorough review of legality and the basis for same, do you?

Having a 'Kill Court' issue a 'Kill Order' is better than having none - better than an unaccountable and anonymous bureaucrat issuing a 'Kill Order'.

If he really wants to do it right they should hold public trials, and let a jury issue the kill order. The fact that he wants to keep it secret proves to me that all he really wants is to plaster a band aid over it to cover it up for the idiots.

Much better an unaccountable and anonymous judge.
We can always make the judge accountable, anyway...

And, who better to decide... a Judge, or some law-ignorant bureaucratic slug?

Which judges sit on the FISA courts? How can you hold them accountable if you don't know who they are?

There is the problem.

When did Congress actually determine that random groups vetted solely by the president are waging war against the US?

Forum List

Back