Obama's "surge" .... medicaid

Medicaid is mostly surging in blue states. Red states are doing everything they can to block the uninsured from getting health insurance. This is the best strategy the GOP could come up with. :lol:

This strategy will blow up in their faces.

Well if expanding welfare rolls was the goal, it seems effective.

Yup. The taxpayers are gonna be subsidizing all those who can't pay for themselves.

Medicaid is the venue.

Well, there's nothing inherently wrong with subsizing, but using medicaid that has no cost controls, and no requirement for any patient cost sharing is sort of like the worst of all worlds.

The ACA is a stepping stone to single payer healthcare. I have heard at least two Democratic politicians openly admit this on the air in the past few days.

The top welfare recipient states are all bright red. If they were forced to have a job, the GOP would cease to exist.

Well, it's largely the red states that are turning down the medicaid dollars, and the people getting on medicaid rolea are the working poor, so I don't see you having a point here.

However, if instead of expanding medicaid, the tax dollars were going to subsidize private insurance, my objections to obamacare would be more along lines that it does little to make private markets more transparent for consumers. It has exchanges ... sort of, and that's good.

The idea of government exchanges is abhorrent to me. This is a bastardized version of single payer healthcare. The government as gatekeeper, deciding who is worthy to be listed on the exchange, and who isn't. This is ripe for abuse and corruption by both political parties.

Pay the right Congressmen and Senators enough campaign cash, and you're in. Piss off the wrong politician, and you will be called to a public hearing to explain why your insurance company is killing little old ladies with your death panels. Don't hire enough blacks or women, and you are delisted as the result of a demagogue's populist demonstrations.

Last edited:
The idea of government exchanges is abhorrent to me. This is a bastardized version of single payer healthcare. The government as gatekeeper, deciding who is worthy to be listed on the exchange, and who isn't. This is ripe for abuse and corruption by both political parties.

Pay the right Congressmen and Senators enough campaign cash, and you're in. Piss off the wrong politician, and you will be called to a public hearing to explain why your insurance company is killing little old ladies with your death panels. Don't hire enough blacks or women, and you are delisted as the result of a demagogue's populist demonstrations.

I dunno. In my state, and all others I know of, and insuror must first be licensed with the state insurance commissoner. The commissioner is empowered to investigate complaints. In Miss, there's something for hurricane property coverage that is akin to what prior existing condition pools would have looked like.

Aside from increasing the number of people on medicaid, Obamacare's biggest initial problem seems to be the states that didn't buy in, and by buying in they run their own exchanges.

Well, there's nothing inherently wrong with subsizing, but using medicaid that has no cost controls, and no requirement for any patient cost sharing is sort of like the worst of all worlds.

Want to source those assertions? And then please tell us how Medicaid is doing in terms of rising costs historically.

The top welfare recipient states are all bright red. If they were forced to have a job, the GOP would cease to exist.

Well, it's largely the red states that are turning down the medicaid dollars, and the people getting on medicaid rolea are the working poor, so I don't see you having a point here.

However, if instead of expanding medicaid, the tax dollars were going to subsidize private insurance, my objections to obamacare would be more along lines that it does little to make private markets more transparent for consumers. It has exchanges ... sort of, and that's good.

The states have their choice to either expand medicaid, or come up with their own programs. Most of the red states are just political pandering trying to "stick it to O'bummer" by refusing, but just watch them all jump on board by the end of the year.

The states have their choice to either expand medicaid, or come up with their own programs. Most of the red states are just political pandering trying to "stick it to O'bummer" by refusing, but just watch them all jump on board by the end of the year.

In Miss it was pretty clear that a bipartisan maj of the legislature wanted to go the Ark route and use the money to give working poor tax credits or vouchers to buy on a state run exchange. The tea party governor nixed it ... even though he voted for exchanges mult times when he was a legislator.

They complain that the cost would be 500 million, but the state had a surpllus of 400 million this year.

Forum List

Back