On the Ground in Iraq, the Stealth Iranian Takeover Becomes Clear

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I don't think anyone would be surprised at what Iran is doing in Iraq.

On the Ground in Iraq, the Stealth Iranian Takeover Becomes Clear
By Jonathan Spyer August 5, 2015 , 9:00 am
18 20
3 1Email 64Share

In late June, I traveled to Iraq with the purpose of investigating the role being played by the Iranian-supported Shia militias in that country.

Close observation of the militias, their activities, and their links to Tehran is invaluable in understanding what is likely to happen in the Middle East following the conclusion of the nuclear agreement between the P5 + 1 powers and Tehran.
An Iranian stealth takeover of Iraq is currently under way. Tehran’s actions in Iraq lay bare the nature of Iranian regional strategy. They show that Iran has no peers at present in the promotion of a very 21st century way of war, which combines the recruitment and manipulation of sectarian loyalties; the establishment and patient sponsoring of political and paramilitary front groups; and the engagement of these groups in irregular and clandestine warfare, all in tune with an Iran-led agenda. With the conclusion of the nuclear deal, and thanks to the cash about to flow into Iranian coffers, the stage is now set for an exponential increase in the scale and effect of these activities across the region. So what is going on in Iraq, and what may be learned from it?

Power in Baghdad today is effectively held by a gathering of Shia militias known as the Hashed al-Shaabi (Popular Mobilization). This initiative brings together tens of armed groups, including some very small and newly formed ones. However, its main components ought to be familiar to Americans who remember the Iraqi Shia insurgency against the U.S. in the middle of the last decade. They are: the Badr Organization, the Asaib Ahl al-Haq, the Kataeb Hizballah, and the Sarayat al-Salam (which is the new name for the Mahdi Army of Muqtada al-Sadr). All of these are militias of long-standing. All of them are openly pro-Iranian in nature. All of them have their own well-documented links to the Iranian government and to the Revolutionary Guards Corps.

Read more at

On the Ground in Iraq the Stealth Iranian Takeover Becomes Clear - Israel News

Why do you think Bush senior didn't go in the first Gulf War?

If you make a power vacuum, which Bremer and Bush did by taking down the Iraqi police and army, then the vacuum is going to be filled but someone. Iran was clearly going to try.

It doesn't take much intelligence to figure this stuff out.

I'd say that the Bush administration didn't necessarily lack the intelligence to figure it out, I think they figured it out and realised that it would make for an excellent reason to invade Iran.

Make the world unsafe and people will vote for those who are tough on terror.

Forum List

Back