Ordering Americans To Buy $50 Lightbulbs

I liked analog cell phones.

I still favor rotary phones. Bummer for me.

I have a rotary phone on the wall at my house and an old Bell telephone too that I still use. Hasn't broke in over 20 years.

Oh and my cell phone is ancient, lol

Old-nokia-cell-phone-1.jpg

I use CFL's virtually everywhere.

No problems. I have had 2 go bad in 5 years.

Rmemeber you can get CFL's in different wavelengths of light.

Yeah I dont mind the CFLs all that much, i just dont like them when im reading for the most part (sorry if that made you figure out why i use the others in the bathroom :lol:).

I've been using them for a long time and have had about 8 wear out, but that was after i had the bulbs for more than 8 years!

I like what they do to my electric bill ;)

Myth: CFLs produce a harsh blue light.
Reality: Many now light like ordinary bulbs. Those with a 2,700 to 3,000 Kelvin (K) number have a warmer, yellower color; 3,500 K to 6,500 K bulbs emit a bluer or whiter light. Energy Star CFLs must include the Kelvin number on the package as of December. Look for CFLs labeled "soft" or "warm" white for light like an incandescent's, and choose "bright white," "natural," or "daylight" for whiter light.

CFLs, light bulb myths and realities, from Consumer Reports

Reality: Many now light like ordinary bulbs. Those with a 2,700 to 3,000 Kelvin (K) number have a warmer, yellower color; 3,500 K to 6,500 K bulbs emit a bluer or whiter light. Energy Star CFLs must include the Kelvin number on the package as of December. Look for CFLs labeled "soft" or "warm" white for light like an incandescent's, and choose "bright white," "natural," or "daylight" for whiter light.

The light still sucks ravi, I know from several years of experience. Its bearable but not as nice as incandescent bulbs.

You can post 300 articles saying otherwise but they wont convince me that what I see with my own eyes is wrong ;).

The light still sucks ravi, I know from several years of experience. Its bearable but not as nice as incandescent bulbs.

You can post 300 articles saying otherwise but they wont convince me that what I see with my own eyes is wrong ;).

Well you are still using older bulbs and yes they were not as good as the newer ones.

Well you are still using older bulbs and yes they were not as good as the newer ones.

some of my bulbs are probably 10+ years old, im not tossing them they still work but I use those ones outside now and put my newer ones with more yellowish light inside.

BTW a local Lowes recently were selling the flourescent bulbs for $1 each.
So how does this mandate a person buying the most expensive bulbs?

This is a much better post...the first one was just nonsense.

The question is, should the government be mandating or banning lightbulbs?

I'm gonna guess, from that other post, that you would be fine with the gov sticking to its Constitutional powers, pretty much.
Should the government ban whale oil lamps? Should the government regulate emmissions into the air, water and soil? Should the government ban dangerous consumer products? Is there something in the Constitution about promoting the general welfare?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-29490-23-Watt-Twist-White/dp/B000V77B4K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305722677&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Sylvania 29490 23-Watt CFL Mini Twist 6 pack, Soft White: Home Improvement[/ame] 100w CFL 6pack for 9 bucks

I only know because I just added a 6-pack of them to a movie i ordered to get free shipping, lol.

Yep. Much easier to whine about old bulbs than get up off your ass and change them. :lol:

Yep. Much easier to whine about old bulbs than get up off your ass and change them. :lol:

I just got some new ones last week and put the older ones outside. The light spectrum is better but still not as nice as the incandescents.

I still favor rotary phones. Bummer for me.

I have a rotary phone on the wall at my house and an old Bell telephone too that I still use. Hasn't broke in over 20 years.

Oh and my cell phone is ancient, lol

Old-nokia-cell-phone-1.jpg

You are unamerican! You should throw that old one a away and get a new iPhone or somesuch. Join the disposable society age man.
I'd be happy to dispose of LOTS of our current society. I don't believe it's recyclable, so where's the incinerator?

Again, for me, the basic issue is not whether one is better than another or whether everybody else in the world is doing something.

For me the issue is that the government presumes to tell me what I should prefer and what I should and should not be allowed to buy rather than me deciding that for myself.

If I prefer the brighter more efficient light of an incandescent, I want that to be my choice. If I don't want to have to follow hazmat rules in order to have light in my home, I would like to have that choice. If I want the energy savings of the CFLs I like having that choice. And if I am only one of few who prefers incandescent, the market itself will phase out that product and I will use something else.

I much prefer that the United States do what is best for the United States and not be subservient to the whims of Europe or anywhere else. And in almost all cases, the free market is far superior to promote innovation, productivity, and prosperity than are government mandates.

I do not want the government to continue to have power to take away more and more of our rights, choices, options, and opportunities.

NEW YORK – Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.

Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.

The new bulbs will also be expensive — about $50 each — so the development may not prevent consumers from hoarding traditional bulbs.

The technology in traditional "incandescent" bulbs is more than a century old. Such bulbs waste most of the electricity that feeds them, turning it into heat. The 100-watt bulb, in particular, produces so much heat that it's used in Hasbro's Easy-Bake Oven.

To encourage energy efficiency, Congress passed a law in 2007 mandating that bulbs producing 100 watts worth of light meet certain efficiency goals, starting in 2012. Conventional light bulbs don't meet those goals, so the law will prohibit making or importing them. The same rule will start apply to remaining bulbs 40 watts and above in 2014. Since January, California has already banned stores from restocking 100-watt incandescent bulbs.
LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms - Yahoo! News

So...exactly which part of the Constitution covers 'mandating which light bulbs Americans can use'?
(in 2007, Democrats controlled both chambers of Congress)

Is that after the 'toilet bowl amendment'? ("When the federal government mandated that new toilets use no more than 1.6 gallons per flush,...")

Now I won't be able to use my Easy-Bake oven...FUCK!!!

Again, for me, the basic issue is not whether one is better than another or whether everybody else in the world is doing something.

For me the issue is that the government presumes to tell me what I should prefer and what I should and should not be allowed to buy rather than me deciding that for myself.

If I prefer the brighter more efficient light of an incandescent, I want that to be my choice. If I don't want to have to follow hazmat rules in order to have light in my home, I would like to have that choice. If I want the energy savings of the CFLs I like having that choice. And if I am only one of few who prefers incandescent, the market itself will phase out that product and I will use something else.

I much prefer that the United States do what is best for the United States and not be subservient to the whims of Europe or anywhere else. And in almost all cases, the free market is far superior to promote innovation, productivity, and prosperity than are government mandates.

I do not want the government to continue to have power to take away more and more of our rights, choices, options, and opportunities.

Wait hazmat rules? Ummmm...........uh oh.

Individual liberty FTW

This is a much better post...the first one was just nonsense.

The question is, should the government be mandating or banning lightbulbs?

I'm gonna guess, from that other post, that you would be fine with the gov sticking to its Constitutional powers, pretty much.

Nope, because the constitution is way out of date. The writers could not envision our electric grid or our dependence on oil nor the effects of polloution, etc.
And our govt has not kept up in updating the constitution.

Nor could the founders envision how lazy and spoiled the American people would become.

Oh yeah, you left have no brains at all. Our Constitution is the only thing that is keeping the far left from becoming a totalitarian type government. And they are spewing this stuff so that you will hate our Constitution.
WAKE UP YOU FAR LEFT DUMMIES !!!!!
Why would you want to lose your freedom and have Government telling you what you can and can not do. That is not what America is.

Individual liberty FTW

The theory is that the high cost of the new LED lighting will inspire people to recycle the product, but I don't believe it is listed as toxic or will require special disposal rules. I use them in flashlights all over the house, and don't worry about it; however, the verdict is still out on how safe this form of lighting is with prolonged use.

Here's one opinion:

Are LED Lights Hazardous To Your Health?
by Pete Danko, February 27th, 2011

Reds are the worst. They have eight times the amount of lead allowed under California law. But all of the light-emitting diodes (LEDs) tested by UC Irvine scientists were brimming with toxins – lead, arsenic and many other potentially hazardous substances – linked to cancer and other horrible diseases and maladies.

The scientists tested – crunched, leached and measured – Christmas strands, traffic lights and car headlights and brake lights. They reported their findings about the Christmas lights in the January 2011 issue of Environmental Science & Technology and plan to publish a more comprehensive paper at a later date.

Oladele Ogunseitan, chair of the university’s Department of Population Health & Disease Prevention, noted that breathing fumes from a single bulb won’t give a person cancer. But any exposure increases the odds of developing disease, and most consumers are utterly unaware of any risks from LEDs, he said. He recommended people use a special broom and wear gloves and a mask when cleaning up a broken bulb.

While there are rules about disposal of compact fluorescent bulbs, LEDs aren’t classified as toxic and can go into regular landfills. What angers Ogunseitan is that LEDs weren’t tested before they were introduced and promoted as an alternative to inefficient incandescent bulbs . . .
Are LED Lights Hazardous To Your Health? | EarthTechling

The small amount of mercury in CFLs is highly toxic and does require special handling including requirement that a spent or broken bulb be delivered to a proper disposal center. That isn't happening though. Mr. Foxfyre and I do dispose of ours properly as we are in the habit of recycling anyway, but we know many of our neighbors do not and I imagine there are hundreds of thousands who do not. It's just one little bulb. One little drop of mercury. Pitch it in the trash. It won't make any difference. . . .

tough titty

i'm a soldier in the green machine movement. i get all the trade mags, talk it up with the movers/shakers , read 'em for years

Let's not confuse it with some dopey altrusim, it's about corporate control , and by gawd this boy knows where his bread is buttered!

soon i'll have my green jackboots issued me, maybe a lightning bolt insignia, and a wind powered propellor beanie

we're going to demonize you energy hogs just like they did the smokers , drag you out in the street and stomp on your light bulbs in front of your kids , that'll teach ya's!

and hey, y'all bought into this sh*t, so don't be sqealin' like stuck pigs when we do

~S(GreenMachinecostyouaSpleen)parky~

Individual liberty FTW

The theory is that the high cost of the new LED lighting will inspire people to recycle the product, but I don't believe it is listed as toxic or will require special disposal rules. I use them in flashlights all over the house, and don't worry about it; however, the verdict is still out on how safe this form of lighting is with prolonged use.

Here's one opinion:

Are LED Lights Hazardous To Your Health?
by Pete Danko, February 27th, 2011

Reds are the worst. They have eight times the amount of lead allowed under California law. But all of the light-emitting diodes (LEDs) tested by UC Irvine scientists were brimming with toxins – lead, arsenic and many other potentially hazardous substances – linked to cancer and other horrible diseases and maladies.

The scientists tested – crunched, leached and measured – Christmas strands, traffic lights and car headlights and brake lights. They reported their findings about the Christmas lights in the January 2011 issue of Environmental Science & Technology and plan to publish a more comprehensive paper at a later date.

Oladele Ogunseitan, chair of the university’s Department of Population Health & Disease Prevention, noted that breathing fumes from a single bulb won’t give a person cancer. But any exposure increases the odds of developing disease, and most consumers are utterly unaware of any risks from LEDs, he said. He recommended people use a special broom and wear gloves and a mask when cleaning up a broken bulb.

While there are rules about disposal of compact fluorescent bulbs, LEDs aren’t classified as toxic and can go into regular landfills. What angers Ogunseitan is that LEDs weren’t tested before they were introduced and promoted as an alternative to inefficient incandescent bulbs . . .
Are LED Lights Hazardous To Your Health? | EarthTechling

The small amount of mercury in CFLs is highly toxic and does require special handling including requirement that a spent or broken bulb be delivered to a proper disposal center. That isn't happening though. Mr. Foxfyre and I do dispose of ours properly as we are in the habit of recycling anyway, but we know many of our neighbors do not and I imagine there are hundreds of thousands who do not. It's just one little bulb. One little drop of mercury. Pitch it in the trash. It won't make any difference. . . .

So say I tossed my CFL bulbs in the trash and dropped one at work a long time ago......what does that mean :eek:

Yeah i just toss mine in the work dumpster :eusa_silenced:

Forum List

Back