PBS Turns 50

lg325

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2020
Florida's Past
For me growing up in an underserved rural low income area. PBS TV And radio was about the only place to find good ,interesting programming.
And it still is. The information I got from it helped me in my school work and keep me informed on world events. The regular Tv and radio that was there at the time was good but really lacking in areas. Before the PBS station we had only 3 TV stations and a few small radio stations.

For me growing up in an underserved rural low income area. PBS TV And radio was about the only place to find good ,interesting programming.
And it still is. The information I got from it helped me in my school work and keep me informed on world events. The regular Tv and radio that was there at the time was good but really lacking in areas. Before the PBS station we had only 3 TV stations and a few small radio stations.

And the reason commercial broadcasting is lacking is that it's commercial. And that means content is irrelevant except to snag viewers and listeners so they can sell them soap.

When the idea that advertising might be done on radio first came up it caused an uproar. Sadly not enough of one. Now it's a vast wasteland (a phrase that was coined in 196).

NET= Miss Nancy's Romper Room. , Senorita Conchita taught us little kids Spanish. Sesame Street came along years later

Hopefully budget woes will put them on the chopping block. The world has changed, exit stage left

Why would anyone want a PUBLIC service "on the chopping block"?

Shall we close the libraries too?
How much wuhan vaccine could their budget buy,,,,,,,,you must want people to die;)

OK that post makes no sense whatsoever.
Oh come on its lib 101......lighten up

It's inchoate verbiage run through a blender, is what it is.

Hopefully budget woes will put them on the chopping block. The world has changed, exit stage left

How much wuhan vaccine could their budget buy,,,,,,,,you must want people to die;)

Denial is what that is

Denial is what that is

One cannot "deny" incoherent gibberish.
Pretty sure this thread is about PBS. Why do I think that? The title.

Denial is what that is

and their need to go...........no need for govt TV anymore, period, end of story

Denial is what that is

and their need to go...........no need for govt TV anymore, period, end of story

There's no such thing as "govt TV" in this country.

So you're "threatened" by educational resources huh. Doesn't that speak volumes. I take it the question you wouldn't answer gets a yes ----- burn down the libraries too. What a great idea. Hey you know what else needs to go? Museums. Can't have people "learning" and shit. Who knows what could happen.

First available to us on UHF, I think out of Murray, Ky. Just another antenna for the tower and change of the rotor position, but it did have many interesting and educational shows. We are supporters of National Public Radio, still. I am drinking coffee out of an "I heard it on NPR" cup as I type.

Forum List

Back