People born bad?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Anyone remember the movie The Bad Seed? Rhoda was 8 years old and didn't mind murdering a few folks. Which begs the question......

Can children be born psychotic? Or are they made that way due to upbringing and/or environment?

Gracie, I think you are talking about psychopathic people, not psychotic people.

And I believe people are born psychopaths. There is something different about their brains. Too late to say more right now, I'm going to bed! : )

Anyone remember the movie The Bad Seed? Rhoda was 8 years old and didn't mind murdering a few folks. Which begs the question......

Can children be born psychotic? Or are they made that way due to upbringing and/or environment?

Gracie, you might want to read this book: THE FIFTH CHILD, by Doris Lessing. Lessing is a brilliant Pulitzer Prize winning author; THE FIFTH CHILD is a novel which addresses this issue. When you read this book, you see a brilliant mind (Lessing) trying to determine the answer to your question.

We do not yet know if sociopathic personalities are made or born.

It's sociopathic personalities (rather than psychotics) who are likely to be "bad seeds".

One can be psychotic and be perfectly harmless. In fact most psychotics aren't really functional in society.

But an otherwise functional human being completely lacking empathy is capable of doing anything.

Last edited:

Good Lord! Haven't hear of that movie in quite awhile! Patty Duke played Rhoda and boy did she turn in a good performance. Funny how the only actor I remember is Patty Duke!

I think people can be born bad. Occasionally, we hear of some child showing the signs of or carrying out some horrible deed at a very young age. Other times these actions don't occur until other ages. A bad environment certainly doesn't help the situation. And it's also true that siblings of the bad child come away from everything unscathed and are people who are good as gold.

excellent movie!

i have known one person like this....no empathy no compassion....the total inability to love...an empty vessels was all it was...sad and scarey

Good Lord! Haven't hear of that movie in quite awhile! Patty Duke played Rhoda and boy did she turn in a good performance. Funny how the only actor I remember is Patty Duke!

I think people can be born bad. Occasionally, we hear of some child showing the signs of or carrying out some horrible deed at a very young age. Other times these actions don't occur until other ages. A bad environment certainly doesn't help the situation. And it's also true that siblings of the bad child come away from everything unscathed and are people who are good as gold.

honey hush....patty duke was not in this movie

Patty McCormack - IMDb

Patty McCormack - IMDb
Maybe she's thinking of The Flying Nun!

I loved the scene in the courtyard where Leroy and Rhoda are arguing and Leroy tells her....

They have a little electric chair just for children

I hold the opinion that all children are born neutral, but with the capacity to become little Mozarts or Ted Bundys`.

Patty McCormack - IMDb
Maybe she's thinking of The Flying Nun!

Thanks for the correction ... give an old lady a break!:tongue:

I saw that movie when I was a young girl...it scared the beejeebus out of me.

And yes, I do think there are people who are "born bad", but they are extreme outliers.

Yes, sociopaths are born, not made. No amount of emotional support or kindness will change them. They are predators through and through.

Yes, sociopaths are born, not made. No amount of emotional support or kindness will change them. They are predators through and through.

And a lot of them become professional politicians....

;)

;)

I would say the majority!:eusa_whistle:

;)

Or message board posters

Forum List

Back