Pope Francis Urges Bishops to Deny Communion to Pro-Abortion Catholics

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
by Dr. Susan Berry4 May 2013
Pope Francis has directed the bishops of Argentina, his home country, to govern the Church there following a document that makes clear that holy communion should be disallowed for any person who facilitates abortion, including politicians.

Read more @ Pope Francis Urges Bishops to Deny Communion to Pro-Abortion Catholics

Why there and not everywhere there are Catholic bishops?

You need to stop reading trash like Breitbard, where they do nothing but lie and mislead.

No bishop can instruct one of his priests to ‘deny’ holy communion to someone who has presented himself for the sacrament in good faith. To receive holy communion, one must be of good conscience that he is in a state of grace and worthy to participate in the eucharist. That decision cannot be made by the clergy because they have no way of knowing the true state of mind of the individual in the context of his personal communication with god during his act of contrition.

Moreover, one can support privacy rights and receive communion because advocates of privacy rights can also be opposed to abortion, which is why a politician cannot be denied the sacrament.

Indeed, no one ‘supports’ abortion, all are opposed to the practice, the conflict concerns the solution to the problem. An American catholic, opposed to abortion, who follows the Constitution of his country, where banning abortion manifest a violation of the right to privacy, may take communion in good faith because advocacy of privacy rights in no way condones abortion.

Pope Francis has directed the bishops of Argentina, his home country, to govern the Church there following a document that makes clear that holy communion should be disallowed for any person who facilitates abortion, including politicians.

Read more @ Pope Francis Urges Bishops to Deny Communion to Pro-Abortion Catholics

I look at it from a different angle.

The Catholic Church is a private organization. If they decide their scripture says this or that it is their right.

What if the NRA said to be a good member you had to do this or that?

As long as it is legal non terrorist stuff I don't care as an American.

Now if I am Catholic and want to hold Vatican III or whatever that is the process to change their scripture. Lutherans can send the two most popular members of their congregation to Wisconsin or wherever to vote for what the word of god is. Not Catholics. Right or wrong it comes from the Pope and slow councils.

Is he happy to provide communion to pedophile priests?

Communion should not be denied for anyone. The Pope needs to be in the business of salvation... not condemnation. All people, be they murderers or even rapists, can be forgiven if they seek it.

No good Noomi... the Pope does not support pedophilia. That statement is comparable to Republicans thinking that Obama is a Kenyan muslim.

No good Noomi... the Pope does not support pedophilia. That statement is comparable to Republicans thinking that Obama is a Kenyan muslim.

Would the Pope provide communion to such priests, though?

Communion should be provided to all who genuinely seek it. Everyone's a sinner even if some people's sins are worse than others. According to the Bible all sins, no matter how bad, can be absolved. That's the message I'd like to see the Pope send.

Since the interpretation of the words of Jesus regarding 'communion' by the R.C. Church is so limited and short-sighted, it is obviously only a technique aimed at mind control. Those who choose to believe it choose their own torment.

Communion should be provided to all who genuinely seek it. Everyone's a sinner even if some people's sins are worse than others. According to the Bible all sins, no matter how bad, can be absolved. That's the message I'd like to see the Pope send.

Ummm... I have to disagree with part of your post....according to the bible no one sin is worse or better than another.... but you're right as far as the forgiveness of them.

Jesus said only blasphemy against the Holy Spirit could not be forgiven. This is one of his most difficult statements for me to understand.

Jesus said only blasphemy against the Holy Spirit could not be forgiven. This is one of his most difficult statements for me to understand.

I would say that there are going to be a lot of us who aren't forgiven....but wait a second...you said the Holy Spirit. I wonder how one does that.

The key with a pedophile or ex NAZI getting Catholic communion is they must have confessed their sins. Once they do if they are honestly repetant their sins are forgiven. Nicer than my court of law, then again we are not a Catholic nation.

I will join the outrage if we find inconsistencies in the Pope's views.

Still if the views and opinions of his club are consistent then so be it, it is his club which is not imposed on you are I. Any of us are members by faith not by force (anymore).

I would say that there are going to be a lot of us who aren't forgiven....but wait a second...you said the Holy Spirit. I wonder how one does that.

That is one of the questions I see no answer to presently.

The key with a pedophile or ex NAZI getting Catholic communion is they must have confessed their sins. Once they do if they are honestly repetant their sins are forgiven. Nicer than my court of law, then again we are not a Catholic nation.

I will join the outrage if we find inconsistencies in the Pope's views.

Still if the views and opinions of his club are consistent then so be it, it is his club which is not imposed on you are I. Any of us are members by faith not by force (anymore).

And that really is the point. The idea of confession deals with a relationship with a deity. One can confess, be forgiven and be alllowed into heaven, all while sitting behind bars. It is only when the priesthood wields secular power that this is an issue.

????????????:eek: everyone is a sinner??? So eating a cracker that catholics think turns into their man god is logical and takes away sins. This stuff belongs in the rubber room!!:cuckoo:

Thankfully my mind wasn't filled with such nonsense as a child:eusa_whistle:

The Catholic Church has wanning numbers, too many of us raised Catholic have been appalled by the behavior of some priests and the cover up by the church hierarchy. A church is only as powerful as its numbers, thus, its similarity to political parties.

It amazes me that the new pope wouldn't recognize the relationship ship between abortions and the church policies on contraception, demestic violence and divorce. If the Cathoic Church hopes to remain relevant, it needs to recognize reality (one can easily conclude some Repubican is advising the Vatican) and the world as it is, not as they want it to be. Punishment of the flock isn't in the best interest of anyone; education, understanding and pragmatic solutions will be more effective, IMO.

The Catholic Church has wanning numbers, too many of us raised Catholic have been appalled by the behavior of some priests and the cover up by the church hierarchy. A church is only as powerful as its numbers, thus, its similarity to political parties.

It amazes me that the new pope wouldn't recognize the relationship ship between abortions and the church policies on contraception, demestic violence and divorce. If the Cathoic Church hopes to remain relevant, it needs to recognize reality (one can easily conclude some Repubican is advising the Vatican) and the world as it is, not as they want it to be. Punishment of the flock isn't in the best interest of anyone; education, understanding and pragmatic solutions will be more effective, IMO.

Is the GOP advising the Vatican on health care, immigration, education, taxes and war?? :cool:

Forum List

Back