Prison Restrictions on Boston Bombing Suspect ‘Unwarranted,’ Lawyers Say

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Attorneys for surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev asked a federal judge this week to lift restrictions imposed upon him in prison, arguing they “limit Mr. Tsarnaev’s interactions with individuals assisting defense counsel.”

Tsarnaev, who is accused of planting an explosives-filled backpack at the feet of an 8-year-old, faces 30 charges, including several terrorism charges that could incur the death penalty, has been held at the Federal Medical Center Devens under special administrative measures, or SAMS, that defense attorneys say are “unlawful and unwarranted.”

A spokeswoman for Carmen Ortiz, the US attorney in Boston, declined to comment, but prosecutors and the FBI said previously that the special restrictions were warranted because of “Tsarnaev’s proclivity for violence.”

Defense attorneys argued in court papers that “there is insufficient factual basis to justify imposition of any SAMs” and they said the provisions “have a dramatic chilling effect on the defense teams’ ability to prepare a thorough and vigorous defense.”

Prison Restrictions on Boston Bombing Suspect ?Unwarranted,? Lawyers Say - ABC News

?? They have filed motions and that is allowed.

Not much more to say, imo.

Difficult to imagine a defense for Tsarnaev's actions. 'I wanted to do this'? I don't think I've heard more than that.

eta:http://www.policymic.com/articles/6...-meet-the-lawyers-defending-the-boston-bomber

There are countries that would not be concerned about whether he received a 'fair trial' or whether his rights were upheld.

I don't really know how an incident like this is handled in Russia but assume he wouldn't have a team of exceptionally qualified attorneys to defend him. Also possible that he wouldn't have had the opportunity to bomb a marathon.

What should I feel for Tsarnaev? If life in the US was unbearable he would have been allowed to leave.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back