Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Record growth of atmospheric CO2 in 2013

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Posted on 22 May 2014 by Guest Author

The fact that last year the atmospheric CO2 concentration reached 400 ppm at Mauna Loa observatory was widely publicized. However, almost unnoticed is the fact, that according to preliminary NOAA ESRL data, global CO2 concentration increased in that same year by a record amount.

During 1987 and 1998 land-based vegetation absorbed almost no carbon. This can be largely explained by the occurrence of strong El Niño during this period. Indeed, CO2 atmospheric growth is generally higher than normal during El Niño events, and generally lower than normal during La Niña events (for more details see also a study by Bastos et al., 2013).

If we look in more detail at Fig. 3, we can see that the slope for La Niña years is slightly lower than during neutral years, and the slope for El Niño is slightly higher than during neutral years. This suggests that we should be able to observe “carbon saturation” first during hot years, and later during colder years. Indeed, a recent publication by Schneising et al. (2014) quantified the temperature dependence of global carbon rise using the SCHIAMACHY satellite data. Their key conclusion from the abstract is following (emphasis added):

“We find linear relationships between warming and CO2 growth as well as seasonal cycle amplitude at the 98% significance level. This suggests that the terrestrial carbon sink is less efficient at higher temperatures during the analysed time period. Unless the biosphere has the ability to adapt its carbon storage under warming conditions in the longer term, such a temperature response entails the risk of potential future sink saturation via a positive carbon-climate feedback.”

While there is still an ongoing scientific debate if the planetary carbon sinks are decreasing its efficiency or not, the record rise of CO2 in 2013 seems to be significant, because:

2013 was not El Niño year

Previous non-El Niño record was surpassed by 0.53 ppm, which as also a record

Thus if we are going this or next year to experience an El Niño event, as one recent study suggest, a CO2 rise of more than 3 ppm and possibly closer to 4 ppm should not be too surprising.

2.48 ppm global raise in co2 in 2013! ESRL Global Monitoring Division - Global Greenhouse Gas Reference Network

Can you prove that that amount of increased CO2 is, in fact, unprecedented in the history of the earth? More importantly, can you prove that it has anything to do with the temperature of planet earth?

The Vostok ice cores show that the current levels of CO2 are unprecedented in at least the last 800,000 years. What was the status of human culture 800,000 years ago?

The mechanism by which CO2's absorption of infrared causes the atmosphere and the planet to warm is well established. Show us why you think it does not take place.

Last edited:
The mechanism by which CO2's absorption of infrared causes the atmosphere and the planet to warm is well established. Show us why you think it does not take place.

The BELIEFf that CO2's absorption of IR causes warming is well established....it in fact has never been observed, measured, experimentally reproduced, or quantified.

The BELIEFf that CO2's absorption of IR causes warming is well established....it in fact has never been observed, measured, experimentally reproduced, or quantified.

huh?

Did you even bother to google and look for the (very) many papers and experiments that exist on this exact study that you just said DOESNT exist?

Papers on laboratory measurements of CO2 absorption properties « AGW Observer

It's probably best you don't get your news from [MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION] - he's daft on the subject.

huh?

Did you even bother to google and look for the (very) many papers and experiments that exist on this exact study that you just said DOESNT exist?

It's probably best you don't get your news from [MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION] - he's daft on the subject.

Did you read and understand he said that he said "CO2's absorption of IR causes warming" and you link a bunch of papers that show one and not the other.

While you're using your amazing Google skilz, find us one (1) lab experiment that shows an increase in temperature from an additional wisp of CO2

Cay you do that?

huh?

Did you read and understand he said that he said "CO2's absorption of IR causes warming" and you link a bunch of papers that show one and not the other.

While you're using your amazing Google skilz, find us one (1) lab experiment that shows an increase in temperature from an additional wisp of CO2

Cay you do that?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

is my answer to this post.

I hope you spend all day wondering man, I really really do.

:lol:

here's an experiment so basic that maybe

maybe

maybe

mr [MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION] who has been (retarded) for years in saying such an experiment doesn't exist

could do it himself!

imagine?!?!?!

http://www.starhop.com/library/pdf/studyguide/elementary/GloJar-7.pdf

Are you retarded? I mean it in a compassionate way, not trying to say that you're too stupid to understand what you're posting. Seriously, are you a fucking retard?

I'll say it one more time, OK?

Your theory states that increasing CO2 from 280PPM to 400PPM will raise temperature 2-5 degrees. Did you understand that? DO you know what you're theory states?

Can you find one (1) experiment that demonstrates that?

The Mythbuster experiment showed a 380PPM increase in CO2 raising temperature 1 degree. That doesn't fit your theory

Go to it, Special One!

Wait, before you go, tell us what your theory is and what you're looking for, OK. I don't want you to waste any more time

Where can i find "my theory," dumbass.

No seriously, dumbass.

Being a dishonest schmuck with an axe to grind, as usual.

Get your story straight, hack.

does an increase in atmospheric co2 increase temperature, or does it not?

and has that been demonstrated in a lab, or has it not?

hell, like I said - - - - - you can do it right now.

After all the windmill junk and solar panels planted here and in in Europe it seems the CO2 level still goes up. Isn't it evidence that "green energy" might be the problem instead of the solution?

Wow, the only industry thriving is Green Energy, Renewable Energy. Seems that Green/Renewable set records in production of fiberglass, concrete, steel, and copper use.

We have seen records in the amount of land used, measured in Square Miles.

Record production of Solar Panels and record production in Wind Turbines at the same time we see a record increase in CO2 production.

If I was cynical I would say that the intent of the Global Warming nuts is to increase the level of CO2 in order to prove what they have failed to prove thus far.

does an increase in atmospheric co2 increase temperature, or does it not?

and has that been demonstrated in a lab, or has it not?

hell, like I said - - - - - you can do it right now.

An increase of 120PPM in CO2 does not raise temperature

The Vostok ice cores show that the current levels of CO2 are unprecedented in at least the last 800,000 years. What was the status of human culture 800,000 years ago?

The vostok ice cores don't even go back a million years....they only go further back into the ice age. Of course CO2 gets lower as you go deeper and deeper into an ice age. Do you ever use your brain?

I guess you must be abe...you tell the same sort of lies. I have never said that CO2 doesn't absorb IR. I have said that absorption and emission do not equal warming and to date, neither you nor anyone else has shown an experiment that demonstrates that absorption and emission equals warming.

huh?

Yeah...thats how I know that absorption and emission do not equal warming.

Forum List

Back