Reverse Air Conditioning to spin a generator

To eliminate the confusion that will cause, you need to explain that there is heat outside even when the temperature is 0 Fahrenheit. Explain heat and lack of heat.

There will be entertainment value in the denial!
Heat pumps do not work well at very low temperatures. That's why they have electrical heating coils as well. You really do not have to take the word of someone has worked in HVAC services in the past. Here's a link that explains the process.

How Does a Heat Pump Work | How Do Heat Pumps Work | Carrier

That's why they have electrical heating coils as well.
Some do. Some don't.
I was more interested in hearing from those who will say there's no heat outside when it's 0 Fahrenheit and so the heat pump can't work.

This thread started with some people not even knowinge what a heat pump is!

And I did throw out the bait when I said that some were 300% efficient.

Some do. Some don't.
I was more interested in hearing from those who will say there's no heat outside when it's 0 Fahrenheit and so the heat pump can't work.

This thread started with some people not even knowinge what a heat pump is!

And I did throw out the bait when I said that some were 300% efficient.
Whatever. I'm a practical sort of guy that knows how a lot things work because I've been fixing what is broke for a living for 40 years. Practical knowledge of the nuts and bolts of things is worth a lot in this world.

Whatever. I'm a practical sort of guy that knows how a lot things work because I've been fixing what is broke for a living for 40 years. Practical knowledge of the nuts and bolts of things is worth a lot in this world.
Good point to be well rounded on many different disciplines.

I've always said that the kid at MacD's would have to ask his boss how to leave the pickles off if a customer wanted it that way.

An American adult doesn't know heat pumps even exist??

I don't know if this thermometer idear would be sufficient output of energy, but maybe mixing alcohol in a boiler would be a good idea because you would increase pressure inside the boiler making it more efficient to the heat being burned.

I guess may be were looking at the thermometer trick wrong, Neon has the highest expansion ratio with 1 to 1445. neon might do a better job in a thermometer power plant.

As an earlier poster said, converting one form of energy to another entails loss. That being said there are experimental energy systems that use the properties of temperature differential to drive turbines.

Electricity from the ocean depths could power entire islands
The inefficiency of the conversion doesn't necessarily result in loss, which would defy the laws of physics. What is meant by loss is the apparent unusable energy involved.

The inefficiency of the conversion doesn't necessarily result in loss, which would defy the laws of physics. What is meant by loss is the apparent unusable energy involved.
Every kind of power generation has an efficiency rating. This is the difference between the potential energy put into a process and the yield.

Okay so I read more about heat pumps and the Organic Rankine Cycle that they build them with. Also it seems different the working fluid used in power plant boilers has been experimented with in the early days of electricity. Not sure what the results were as far as how much energy can be saved.
Here's my original thought which is for non boiling temperature's of under 173 F for alcohol:
It's a turbine generator much like a heat pump. The alcohol pool at 5 puts pressure in the system that balances with the weight of the magnet in the generator at 4. When the hot liquid at 1 heats up the alcohol in the system at 2, the alcohol expands like in a thermometer and spins the turbine at 3 which is a type of turbine that can be used as a pump or in this case holds pressure in the system. It has many uses really. But anyway the alcohol passes through the turbine back into the alcohol pool at 5 and the system gradually drains energy out of the hot liquid converting pressure in the closed system to electricity.
thermometer power plant.jpg

Okay so I read more about heat pumps and the Organic Rankine Cycle that they build them with. Also it seems different the working fluid used in power plant boilers has been experimented with in the early days of electricity. Not sure what the results were as far as how much energy can be saved.
Here's my original thought which is for non boiling temperature's of under 173 F for alcohol:
It's a turbine generator much like a heat pump. The alcohol pool at 5 puts pressure in the system that balances with the weight of the magnet in the generator at 4. When the hot liquid at 1 heats up the alcohol in the system at 2, the alcohol expands like in a thermometer and spins the turbine at 3 which is a type of turbine that can be used as a pump or in this case holds pressure in the system. It has many uses really. But anyway the alcohol passes through the turbine back into the alcohol pool at 5 and the system gradually drains energy out of the hot liquid converting pressure in the closed system to electricity. View attachment 686209
As long as the alcohol remains a liquid, the expansion due to heating will not be enough to accomplish very much. Not enough expansion/motion to turn an electric generator enough to get a significant amount of electricity.

As long as the alcohol remains a liquid, the expansion due to heating will not be enough to accomplish very much. Not enough expansion/motion to turn an electric generator enough to get a significant amount of electricity.
what if you used a huge long hose filled with alcohol and let it lay on the bottom of the pool, the more alcohol your heating up, the more pressure you would put into the system I think

Forum List

Back