Seattle Crane collapses onto street, 4 dead: Retards want to investigate why.

The2ndAmendment

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2013
I'm going to tell you right now why it collapsed. The construction industry now builds everything to ABSOLUTE MINIMUM STANDARD to SAVE EVERY PENNY.

I myself (not even an architect) had to build shoring posts made by 6x6 timbers BOLTED together to hold up several buildings and floors and roofs under construction to load the floor with block (cinderblock), roofing shingles and tiles, because the floor/roof itself was not designed to hold the weight of pallets (eventually the materials on the pallets gets distributed to walls or evenly dispersed).

To this day, I've have one my shoring posts holdings up steel, cement and shingles for over a YEAR at one of my worksites. That 12x12 wood pillar, going up 38 feet (12x12 after all four 6x6 are staggered and bolted together) has dutifully stood the test of time after pallet after pallet has been stacked on top of it.

Back in 1980's (and before), old construction workers told me that every was overengineered, extra pillars, posts, beams, trusses, etc, but once computers were introduced into everyday architecture, the computers were used for penny pinching, reducing each and every part of a building's strength to minimum standards.

The same applies to equipment and tools on the job.

You don' need an investigation, you need new laws the DOUBLE the minimum standard.

Cleanup under way after 4 killed in construction crane collapses in Seattle

Human foundation paying people off has massive preminance over Structural foundation. A few more decades and Asia will be the dictating a lot more to us.

Forum List

Back