Senate Democrats supported rule that led to insurance cancellations

Washington (CNN) - Senate Democrats voted unanimously three years ago to support the Obamacare rule that is largely responsible for some of the health insurance cancellation letters that are going out.

In September 2010, Senate Republicans brought a resolution to the floor to block implementation of the grandfather rule, warning that it would result in canceled policies and violate President Barack Obama’s promise that people could keep their insurance if they liked it.

“The District of Columbia is an island surrounded by reality. Only in the District of Columbia could you get away with telling the people if you like what you have you can keep it, and then pass regulations six months later that do just the opposite and figure that people are going to ignore it. But common sense is eventually going to prevail in this town and common sense is going to have to prevail on this piece of legislation as well,” Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley said at the time.

“The administration's own regulations prove this is not the case. Under the grandfathering regulation, according to the White House's own economic impact analysis, as many as 69 percent of businesses will lose their grandfathered status by 2013 and be forced to buy government-approved plans,” the Iowa Republican said.​
So, Obama lied...and it's the Senate Democrats' fault.
Pure GOP hate radio bullshit!

As long as your insurance company doesn't try to screw you, you can keep your grandfathered plan till you die!!!! The insurance co. cannot cut or reduce benefits, raise co-insurance charges, raise co-pays, raise deductibles, lower employer's contribution, or reduce the insurance co.'s pay out limit on a grandfathered policy. So any changes that screw the policy holder void the policy. The insurance co. is under no obligation to make a grandfathered policy conform to the ACA minimum requirements.

Banyan News: Health Care Reform Bulletin Grandfather Clause

Ed, may I point something out to you?

Washington (CNN) - Senate Democrats voted unanimously three years ago to support the Obamacare rule that is largely responsible for some of the health insurance cancellation letters that are going out.

In September 2010, Senate Republicans brought a resolution to the floor to block implementation of the grandfather rule, warning that it would result in canceled policies and violate President Barack Obama’s promise that people could keep their insurance if they liked it.

“The District of Columbia is an island surrounded by reality. Only in the District of Columbia could you get away with telling the people if you like what you have you can keep it, and then pass regulations six months later that do just the opposite and figure that people are going to ignore it. But common sense is eventually going to prevail in this town and common sense is going to have to prevail on this piece of legislation as well,” Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley said at the time.

“The administration's own regulations prove this is not the case. Under the grandfathering regulation, according to the White House's own economic impact analysis, as many as 69 percent of businesses will lose their grandfathered status by 2013 and be forced to buy government-approved plans,” the Iowa Republican said.​
So, Obama lied...and it's the Senate Democrats' fault.
Pure GOP hate radio bullshit!

As long as your insurance company doesn't try to screw you, you can keep your grandfathered plan till you die!!!! The insurance co. cannot cut or reduce benefits, raise co-insurance charges, raise co-pays, raise deductibles, lower employer's contribution, or reduce the insurance co.'s pay out limit on a grandfathered policy. So any changes that screw the policy holder void the policy. The insurance co. is under no obligation to make a grandfathered policy conform to the ACA minimum requirements.

Banyan News: Health Care Reform Bulletin Grandfather Clause

ed, you ignorant slut.

I have it right here in my lap- in black and white AND pretty colorful illustrations.

My health insurance company is in fact cancelling my current policy.

Here's a quote from the cover letter:

"One change- what plan you're on in 2014. All of our members must move to a plan that meets the law's "minimum essential benefits" standard. For example, in the past, your plan may not have had pharmacy or maternity benefits. In 2014, the law requires that you have both".

I must move to another plan. NOT stay with my current plan. At a 120% increase in premiums and a precipitous increase in deductibles.

Take a hike bitch.
Your insurance company is trying to gouge you and blaming the ACA!!!! The insurance industry is lying about the ACA to get you to commit to a more expensive policy before you find out how much you would save in the exchange. Not only does the insurance industry admit it, they say it is simply Capitalism in action!!!!!!

Special Investigation: How Insurers Are Hiding Obamacare Benefits From Customers

Across the country, insurance companies have sent misleading letters to consumers, trying to lock them into the companies' own, sometimes more expensive health insurance plans rather than let them shop for insurance and tax credits on the Obamacare marketplaces -- which could lead to people like Donna spending thousands more for insurance than the law intended. In some cases, mentions of the marketplace in those letters are relegated to a mere footnote, which can be easily overlooked.
The extreme lengths to which some insurance companies are going to hold on to existing customers at higher price, as the Affordable Care Act fundamentally re-orders the individual insurance market, has caught the attention of state insurance regulators.
The insurance companies argue that it's simply capitalism at work.

The Senate Dems said they could grandfather all plans in effect before the day the ACA was passed. The Right is bitching that the insurance industry is NOT grandfathering the old plans, and to the Idiot Right that means the insurance industry is doing what the Senate Dems said they could do!
:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Remember it was the Senate GOP in 2010 who tried to prevent grandfathering the old plans, as stated in the OP!!!!
And now for a little honesty:
In September 2010, Senate Republicans brought a resolution to the floorto block implementation of the grandfather rule, warning that it would result in canceled policies and violate President Barack Obama’s promise that people could keep their insurance if they liked it.​
Senate Republicans tried to keep Obama from stepping on his crank with golf spikes, but the Senate Dems wanted nothing to do with it.

The grandfather rule, as I have already linked to, said that the insurance industry could keep ALL plans in existence before the ACA was passed, the industry would only be limited to increases based on the medical inflation rate. But private industry's greed wanted to gouge their customers for MORE than the medical inflation rate so they ignored what the Dems enacted and did what the GOP wanted and dropped the plans they were told by Dems they could grandfather.
Get it??????
Yes, I get that you're desperate to blame the people who took advantage of the rules established by Democrats.

If said Democrats gave a shit about people, they'd have made it mandatory to grandfather in all plans.

The Senate Dems said they could grandfather all plans in effect before the day the ACA was passed. The Right is bitching that the insurance industry is NOT grandfathering the old plans, and to the Idiot Right that means the insurance industry is doing what the Senate Dems said they could do!
:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Remember it was the Senate GOP in 2010 who tried to prevent grandfathering the old plans, as stated in the OP!!!!
And now for a little honesty:
In September 2010, Senate Republicans brought a resolution to the floorto block implementation of the grandfather rule, warning that it would result in canceled policies and violate President Barack Obama’s promise that people could keep their insurance if they liked it.​
Senate Republicans tried to keep Obama from stepping on his crank with golf spikes, but the Senate Dems wanted nothing to do with it.

The grandfather rule, as I have already linked to, said that the insurance industry could keep ALL plans in existence before the ACA was passed, the industry would only be limited to increases based on the medical inflation rate. But private industry's greed wanted to gouge their customers for MORE than the medical inflation rate so they ignored what the Dems enacted and did what the GOP wanted and dropped the plans they were told by Dems they could grandfather.
Get it??????

The grandfather rule, as I have already linked to, said that the insurance industry could keep ALL plans in existence before the ACA was passed, the industry would only be limited to increases based on the medical inflation rate.

One of two things is happening here, you are either just lying, or you are ignorant of the way insurance works.

Can you tell me how insurance policy premium increases are calculated?
Can you tell me what steps must be followed to get a rate increase?

But private industry's greed wanted to gouge their customers for MORE than the medical inflation rate so they ignored what the Dems enacted and did what the GOP wanted and dropped the plans they were told by Dems they could grandfather.

This answers my questions, you have no idea.
Can you tell me what a Qualified Health Paln is?

Your insurance company is trying to gouge you and blaming the ACA!!!! The insurance industry is lying about the ACA to get you to commit to a more expensive policy before you find out how much you would save in the exchange. Not only does the insurance industry admit it, they say it is simply Capitalism in action!!!!!!

Special Investigation: How Insurers Are Hiding Obamacare Benefits From Customers

Across the country, insurance companies have sent misleading letters to consumers, trying to lock them into the companies' own, sometimes more expensive health insurance plans rather than let them shop for insurance and tax credits on the Obamacare marketplaces -- which could lead to people like Donna spending thousands more for insurance than the law intended. In some cases, mentions of the marketplace in those letters are relegated to a mere footnote, which can be easily overlooked.
The extreme lengths to which some insurance companies are going to hold on to existing customers at higher price, as the Affordable Care Act fundamentally re-orders the individual insurance market, has caught the attention of state insurance regulators.
The insurance companies argue that it's simply capitalism at work.

And here's the REST of the story!

Here is the original story:

Before Obamacare, Donna paid a $724 monthly premium for $10,000 deductible, catastrophic health coverage from LifeWise, a subsidiary of the state's Blue Cross/Blue Shield affiliate.

The Sept. 16 letter from LifeWise told her that her existing plan was being canceled to comply with the new requirements of Obamacare and that she would automatically be rolled over into a new plan that was the "closest match" to her old plan. "If we don't hear from you, we'll automatically move you to this plan and you'll be covered starting January 1, 2014," the notice read.
LifeWise Renewal Letter.pdf

Under the new LifeWise plan, Donna would have to pay more than $1,000 a month, a nearly $300 per month increase and a huge hit for a family with an income around $40,000. It was bare-bones coverage by ACA standards, with a $6,350 deductible.

No she would not. Read the letter the HI company sent her.
She had choices.
She also had a health insurance agent.
Now her agent has lost part of his commissioned income.

Here are the numbers you need to plug in the data for her:
*56-year-old Seattle resident with a 57-year-old husband and 15-year-old daughter
*a family with an income around $40,000
Estimate Your Premium

This is what the family qualified for.
It sounds like a co-op.
I like co-ops and wish there were more of them around!!
Understanding Basic Health

http://www.basichealth.hca.wa.gov/documents/handouts.pdf

Forum List

Back