Senate passes farm bill 68-32

RandomVariable

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
It has already passed the House. The bill will now go to the President's desk where it is expected to be signed. That was one HUGE bill. Any comments?

I'm hopeful the changes to price supports will make less corporate welfare.

What's in the Farm Bill - ABC News

That literally depends on the weather.

The switch from price supports to insurance was a right wing demand. It would be hilariously ironic if global climate change led to even higher government payouts due to extreme weather conditions. :)

The switch from price supports to insurance was a right wing demand. It would be hilariously ironic if global climate change led to even higher government payouts due to extreme weather conditions. :)

Yeah, all that CO2 in the air can't be good for crops..... :dunno:

I'm surrounded by geniuses :eek:

It cuts the food stamp program and increases spending on farmers markets
AH GREAT! Lets punish the poor some more...VOTE REPUBLICAN STARVE A KID!

Here's why the compromise level of cuts is a Republican win: In addition to the $9 billion in food stamp cuts in this five-year farm bill, another $11 billion will be slashed over three years as stimulus funding for the program expires. The first $5 billion of that stimulus money expired in October; the rest will disappear by 2016. In the months since the first $5 billion in stimulus funding was cut, food pantries have been struggling to provide enough food for the hungry. Poverty remains at record high levels, and three job applicants compete for every job opening.
I will never vote republican again...bank on that.

No they weren't..Republicans twice tried to get 20$ billion and 40$ billion cut from it...either way they still won and the poor lose.

Droughts are great for crops! Right...genius?

Just ask the alfalfa growers of Texas.

Last edited:
No they weren't..Republicans twice tried to get 20$ billion and 40$ billion cut from it...either way they still won and the poor lose.

It was an $8 billion cut. Barely one percent.

If trends continue as per current predictions, the continued drought in California will have serious impacts to forage production in 2014, affecting the availability and price of animal feed.

It’s like an 800-pound gorilla in the room, worrying everyone including growers, suppliers, livestock operators and consumers alike. According to the Western Regional Climate Center, October-December of 2013 was the driest on record in California. Other western states are also experiencing drought to varying degrees (note the U.S. Drought monitor map for the west below). Current predictions are for zero to slight chances of rainfall for the rest of January for most of California.

California Alfalfa: Drought Will Affect Producers, Markets For Years To Come

Serious??

Serious??

Sadly, he is. This is the kind of idiotic hogwash fed to the rubes by their manipulators.

10h3992.jpg

Moar carbon dioxide good!

Last edited:

It was an $8 billion cut. Barely one percent.

I know, and I honestly don't know. I've read what I thought reputable reports that food pantries will see LOTs of extra demand. Yet, I know people who get or have gotten foodstamps, and while they are not your typical "welfare cadillac driving baby mama," the people were shocked at all they could buy.

Forum List

Back