🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should I refinance?

We will retire here most likely...
I've paid 4 years on my 30 year note at 4.5.

Well then, you're not even to the point where a substantial part of your monthlies is going to principle.. You COULD consider re-financing. But dont shop for the absolute LOWEST interest rate and keep it FIXED..

Look at a statement and see what part of the monthly payment is going to interest and what part is principle.

And if anyone asks for more than about $4K in "fees" -- keep shopping.

Fees are broken down as:
Points 2000
Origination fee 1200
Services (title. Etc) 1100
Prepaid (insurance and taxes) 4700
Does this sound reasonable?
Why do you have points, AND an origination fee? I thought they were the same???

Maybe they are not?

Origination fee runs 0.5% to 1.0%, on $100k loan at most should be $1000, NOT $1200....that's also high....20% higher than the high, norm.

Honestly, I'd skip that lender...they are just a rip off, all the way around.... You can do much better.

Maybe, because it was during the housing boom, 2004.... But we had an original loan of 165,000, we had paid it down to $155,000, I borrowed $155,000 to pay off my old loan....not a penny more...

The home value had gone from $165k to $300 value in the 6yrs we had the loan, $350,000 value by 2006, when we decided to sell it....we took that profit and ran to the boon docks in rural Maine, and bought a smaller cottage with the profit..... WaLa, no more mortgage....but the hubby did have to drive about 30 miles to the small city to get a job, so 60 miles a day driving to work!

During the time the refinancing/lender companies were fighting to get any mortgage....

And I paid nothing, to anyone, for the loan.... No reappraisal, no points, no other fees, and only borrowed what we owed on the mortgage.... I did not shop around....well, I might have picked a lender off lending tree.com, called a couple and went with the first one....easy peasy, during that time

AND at the time, neither of us, had a job....I had become a homemaker, and the hubby had lost his job, and had not started the new one he was going to, and they still gave us a loan.... With no fees to get it!

Things could be different now, but it still seems high...what's being offered to you....

Thanks everyone for responding. Thanks to you all, I decided to find another lender. I am working with a local bank rather than the national well known lender I had been working with. I'm glad I did. They offered me 2.1 and zero points. Only 2k in fees. I'm running with that.

Thanks everyone for responding. Thanks to you all, I decided to find another lender. I am working with a local bank rather than the national well known lender I had been working with. I'm glad I did. They offered me 2.1 and zero points. Only 2k in fees. I'm running with that.
Well done, sir.

Forum List

Back