So About that Starbucks "scholarship..."

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
...It turns out, they're not really doing anything. At all:

...Initially, Starbucks said that workers would be able to offset the costs through an upfront scholarship it was providing with Arizona State, but declined to say exactly how much of the cost it was shouldering. The chain estimated the scholarship would average about $6,500 over two years to cover tuition of about $20,000.

Following the announcement, however, Arizona State University President Michael Crow told The Chronicle of Higher Education that Starbucks is not contributing any money toward the scholarship. Instead, Arizona State will essentially charge workers less than the sticker price for online tuition. Much of the remainder would likely be covered by federal aid since most Starbucks workers don't earn a lot of money.

Workers would pay whatever costs remained out of pocket for the first two years, and Starbucks would bear no costs.

Starbucks Corp. had previously declined to say how much it was contributing to the scholarship. But in a subsequent email Wednesday evening, Starbucks said that the scholarship is being "funded by ASU."

Starbucks Contribution to Scholarship Overstated

The best that can be said is, Starbucks negotiated a bulk discount for their employees. That's something...

I guess.

It bothers me that I am neither bothered nor surprised by this revelation...

Last edited:
Just as I thought. Schulz basically gave some grand PR so the bleeding heart liberals will feel better about themselves and continue to pay for overpriced coffee!

He set up a deal with ONLINE ASU for the students to get a discount.

Also starbucks doesn't pay their employees more. Average is $8.80 an hour. Not much different than McDonald's!

Starbucks Salaries and Benefits | Glassdoor

Just as I thought. Schulz basically gave some grand PR so the bleeding heart liberals will feel better about themselves and continue to pay for overpriced coffee!

He set up a deal with ONLINE ASU for the students to get a discount.

Also starbucks doesn't pay their employees more. Average is $8.80 an hour. Not much different than McDonald's!

Starbucks Salaries and Benefits | Glassdoor

Actually the McDonald coffee is better and they don't try to sell you a over priced scone and round off the price at $5.00

Starbucks coffee proves American have bad taste. They suck as a company, did some sub contracting work for them and they refused to help me get paid, nothing but a bunch of dead end people pretending to care and shuffling me along to the next dead end. No way to get higher up than the phone drones. I didn't like them before that happened, now I know they are just a bunch of phonies that care only about money.

They definitely do char their beans, black and oily means over roasted.

Forum List

Back