Something I never knew about Detroit

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
So I was having a discussion with my father about Detroit and Detroit politics. He told me something that I could not believe but actually makes it easier to understand how Detroit went down the shitter over the years. We were discussing how Detroit finally has a white mayor and that he is actually doing some things that may be positives for the city.

What I learned during our conversation is that for the past 100 years or so, Detroit's entire city council has been elected at large rather than by district. When he told me that, my jaw dropped as I was thinking just how absolutely stupid that is. Basically, the entire city council represents nobody specifically. Well, in 2012, Detroit put through a new city charter where all but two of the council members will now be elected by district and were so in the 2012 election.

I thought back to all the time I lived in Chicago and how our Alderman (that's what they call them in Chicago) was really important to the local community. When a business needed something done, they went to the Alderman. With no direct representation, who do you go to? I'm still baffled at how Detroit allowed such a thing to continue so long to their own detriment, but that does explain so many of Detroit's problems to me.

It main problems were liberal policies mixed with race politics. Colman Young segregated the majority of Detroit with public relations and zoning laws.

tapatalk post

One of my favorite cities on the planet at one time destroyed by politics. Detroit really used to rock. Boot down from Toronto and party hardy.

*sigh*

Now it's just a wasteland. I'm out west now and when I see pictures of Detroit today I just want to cry.

It main problems were liberal policies mixed with race politics. Colman Young segregated the majority of Detroit with public relations and zoning laws.

tapatalk post

Colman Young had a plan. Detroit would be all black. It would be the first large city to be totally segregated. He was a separatist and saw Detroit as the capital of a new black nation carved within the United States.

So I was having a discussion with my father about Detroit and Detroit politics. He told me something that I could not believe but actually makes it easier to understand how Detroit went down the shitter over the years. We were discussing how Detroit finally has a white mayor and that he is actually doing some things that may be positives for the city.

What I learned during our conversation is that for the past 100 years or so, Detroit's entire city council has been elected at large rather than by district. When he told me that, my jaw dropped as I was thinking just how absolutely stupid that is. Basically, the entire city council represents nobody specifically. Well, in 2012, Detroit put through a new city charter where all but two of the council members will now be elected by district and were so in the 2012 election.

I thought back to all the time I lived in Chicago and how our Alderman (that's what they call them in Chicago) was really important to the local community. When a business needed something done, they went to the Alderman. With no direct representation, who do you go to? I'm still baffled at how Detroit allowed such a thing to continue so long to their own detriment, but that does explain so many of Detroit's problems to me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqOSNI7l0bQ]Detroit City Council hearing adjourned amid shouting match - YouTube[/ame]

tapatalk post

Colman Young had a plan. Detroit would be all black. It would be the first large city to be totally segregated. He was a separatist and saw Detroit as the capital of a new black nation carved within the United States.
You mean no more welfare checks :confused:

As a youngster growing up in Detroit, this guy took tons of photos for a hobby.

35 years later, he returned. And focused on the true Detroit- it's people...

Interview with Photographer Dave Jordano About 'Detroit: Unbroken Down'

This fascination by other photographers and the media to only see Detroit from this narrow, one-sided point of view affected me deeply. It became imperative that I needed to figure out a way to flip the script so to speak, to try and right what I thought was a horrible misrepresentation of a city that had fallen on hard times.

Forum List

Back