Strange or Surprising #1 songs

99 Luftballons (99 Red Balloons) - Nena
German song tops non German-speaking charts.
US an Australia preferred the German version whilst the Brits favored the English version.
Technically #2 on Billboard's Top 100 but charted #1 on Cashbox in the US. Also #1 in Australia and New Zealand. Not surprising #1 in West Germany, Austria and Switzerland. #1 in Belgium, Netherlands and Sweden. #1 in Japan too!

Speaking of songs sung in German.

Rock Me Amadeus - Falco
A (largely) German-speaking song about an 18th Century composer by new wave/rapper artist Falco. Ooooh, Rock Me Amadeus!
#1 in the US, Canada, Ireland, the UK, South Africa, and New Zealand. #1 in many other countries including Spain, Sweden, and of course West Germany and Austria.

The Stripper - David Rose

This very familiar instrumental stripper song did top the Billboard chart in 1962. The song was actually a B-side to "Ebb Tide"

Monster Mash - Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers

It was a graveyard smash.
It caught on in a flash.
Now this 1962 novelty song is a Halloween favorite.

Sukiyaki (Ue o Muite Aruko) - Kyu Sakamoto

A song in Japanese hits #1 in America in 1963? Yes, indeed. Also #1 in Australia, New Zealand, and Norway, and naturally, Japan.

Okay, here we go....

My Ding-A-Ling - Chuck Berry

Chuck Berry's one and only #1 in the United States and it's this song about a "cute little toy." The Brits, Canadians, and Irish were also caught playing with this #1 song.

By request (just kidding)

MacArthur Park - Richard Harris

The epic seven-and-half minute version.
And I'll never have that recipe again. Oh nooooooo!
#1 in Canada and Australia. Just missed in the US (#2)

Eloise - Barry Ryan

Enjoy. It's even "better" with the music video.
This 1968 song didn't do much in the United States, but top the charts in Australia, Belgium, France, Italy, Netherlands, Malaysia, New Zealand, Rhodesia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, and West Germany. #2 in many other countries.

Okay, you asked for it (not really)

Gangnam Style - PSY
Everybody's "favorite" chubby South Korean dancer/rapper. Too many countries to name had this at #1.

Lovin' You - Minnie Riperton

La-la-la-la-laaaa
La-la-la-la-laaaa
La-la-la-la-laaaa-la-laaa-laaa-laaa---laaa
Doo-doo-do-do-do-do-doooooo
AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

#1 song in the US in 1975.
She died so young (only 31)

Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) - Baz Luhrmann

Essentially the reading of a Chicago Tribune article to a backing track. Yup.
#1 in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada (adult contemporary chart)

Axel F - Harold Faltermeyer

Beverly Hills Cop instrumental hits #1 on US Adult Contemporary and Hot Dance Play. #1 in Ireland, Netherlands, Canada (Adult Contemporary

But then it gets weird...

Axel F - Crazy Frog
The Annoying Thing took this to #1 in Australia, Belgium, Denmark, France, Hungary, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and, of course, the UK.

Ding ding

Forum List

Back