Swiss massacre

Esmeralda

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2013
Washington State
"'Three dead' in Swiss shooting

Three people have been killed and seven injured during a shooting at a factory near the Swiss city of Lucerne, local media quote officials as saying.

The killer is among the dead, police and prosecutors are reported as saying.

Shooting broke out in the canteen at the Kronospan wood processing plant in the town of Menznau at around 09:00 (08:00 GMT).

Police and rescue services are at the scene and the entire area is currently sealed off.

"The workers were eating a snack in the cafeteria during the morning, and there was a massacre," said a man quoted by the Swiss news website 20minutes, who had phoned the factory to check on the welfare of his father.

An emergency telephone line had been set up for families of the factory's employees.

"There were three dead and seven injured, some of them seriously injured," prosecutors' spokesman Simon Kopp told Swiss newspaper Blick.

Switzerland has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world, but such gun attacks are relatively rare.

All healthy Swiss men aged between 18 and 34 are obliged to do military service and all are issued with assault rifles or pistols which they are supposed to keep at home.

Until recently, many kept their weapons even after completing their military service - though rules on this have recently been tightened.

According to the Geneva-based Small Arms Survey, Switzerland ranks third in terms of gun ownership, behind the United States and Yemen.

Street gun violence is very rare in Switzerland, says Emma Jane Kirby, who recently investigated the subject for BBC News.

However, there are more domestic homicides and suicides with a firearm in Switzerland than virtually anywhere else in Europe except Finland, she says."

BBC News - 'Three dead' in Swiss shooting

Though the rate of gun violence doesn't come anywhere near what it is in the US, I think it's interesting that they have 'tightened' rules on gun ownership in recent years. They must be concerned about the level of violence rising. It is also interesting that Switzerland, which has been touted as having an extremely low rate of gun violence, actually has "more domestic homocides and suicides than anywhere else in Europe except Finland."

It seems they are not as in control of their gun situation as has been claimed.

Yes, I suspect that the virus of mass killing is going to spread throughout the West.

I'm sure social psychology has a theory to explain how events like these become more common as more people hear about them.

Cluster mass killings or something like that, much like there's cluster suicide events in towns where some kid recently kills himself.

Switzerland has the lowest gun related crime rate of any civilized country in the world. A perfect society will never exist

Switzerland has the lowest gun related crime rate of any civilized country in the world. A perfect society will never exist

Strange, though, how the international media has began focusing a lot more attention on a seeming utopia of responsible gun ownership following the Sandy Hook tragedy. Don't you think? I've started a thread on it it the Clean Debate Zone.

Yes, I suspect that the virus of mass killing is going to spread throughout the West.

I'm sure social psychology has a theory to explain how events like these become more common as more people hear about them.

Cluster mass killings or something like that, much like there's cluster suicide events in towns where some kid recently kills himself.

Excellent points.

Apparently this is not true. ~ Apparently they have the second highest rate of suicide and domestic murder (with guns) in Europe. So, the lowest gun related violence? No.

Sounds like you are somewhat blaminig technology.. I can agree
I dont think it a virus. Unstable more like it

Strange, though, how the international media has began focusing a lot more attention on a seeming utopia of responsible gun ownership following the Sandy Hook tragedy. Don't you think? I've started a thread on it it the Clean Debate Zone.

No, I don't think it is interesting. I don't believe in conspiracy theories. I don't believe the international media, or anyone else, is master minding a conspiracy to get Americans to give up their guns. People around the world may think the US is crazy to have so many guns, but they are not interested in doing anything about it, like getting involved in American domestic affairs such as the right to own a gun.

Last edited:

Apparently this is not true. ~ Apparently they have the second highest rate of suicide and domestic murder (with guns) in Europe. So, the lowest gun related violence? No.

You were somewhat right PolitiFact Rhode Island | Facebook posting says the gun-rich Swiss have the lowest firearm crime rate in the civilized world

When I read them, it must not have been true.. Wish I could remember what it was..:confused:

No, I don't think it is interesting. I don't believe in conspiracy theories. I don't believe the international media, or anyone else, is master minding a conspiracy to get Americans to give up their guns. People around the world may think the US is crazy to have so many guns, but they are not interested in doing anything about it, like getting involved in American domestic affairs such as the right to own a gun.

I don't think it's a "conspiracy theory". Neither did I claim that the media is "master minding a conspiracy to get Americans to give up their guns." Though it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were attempting to influence dialogue in favour of anti-gun proponents im the U.S.

I don't think it's a "conspiracy theory". Neither did I claim that the media is "master minding a conspiracy to get Americans to give up their guns." Though it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were attempting to influence dialogue in favour of anti-gun proponents im the U.S.

I don't think the international media care one way or another about the pro-gun or anti-gun proponents in the US and certainly not enough to try to influence it. It's just a sideshow to them.

27 February 2013
@ Pictures of the day: 27 February 2013 - Telegraph

snow-swans_2494186k.jpg

The vast bulk of Americans will discuss anything that deflects from the fact that they are the Violence crazy people of the developed world .
With over one third of their total population in poverty or very close to it , plus huge falling standards in education , the future looks very bleak for this country with an economic tsunami to roll in later in the year.
It is as though the national character has morphed and that guns and violence are replacing brains and compassion .

Some say that survivalists are complete whack jobs. If that is the case, then the Swiss are first class loons. Surprising they let them travel outside of their own country.

Some say that survivalists are complete whack jobs. If that is the case, then the Swiss are first class loons. Surprising they let them travel outside of their own country.

We say exactly the same about Americans . Heal yourselves first .
There is nothing worse than meeting an escaped family of American Hilly Billy people over here on holiday in Europe . Apart from their profound ignorance of all things , places and people that are non American , the lack of culture and good taste is frightening .
There are exceptions -- of course -- but they are lost among the waddling crowd of obese sight seers looking for a city somewhere named Europe .

There is nothing worse than meeting an escaped family of American Hilly Billy people over here on holiday in Europe . Apart from their profound ignorance of all things , places and people that are non American , the lack of culture and good taste is frightening .
There are exceptions -- of course -- but they are lost among the waddling crowd of obese sight seers looking for a city somewhere named Europe .

Yeah I never did find that there Europe city. The bus driver spoke foreign like and I ain't to sure he knew where he was going. Golly gosh do you know where that Europe is?

For those trying to make a case for gun control in the wake of the tragedy in Switzerland, I'm surprised that no one has tried to link this incident to Switzerland's survivalist mentality. How many here know that Swiss law requires each new building to be equipped with a nuclear bunker? The Swiss in fact have more than enough bunkers to house their entire population. Go figure.

Swiss Renew Push for Bomb Shelters - WSJ.com

If you had ever been to Switzerland, you would realize there is nothing 'whack job' about them. It is one of the sanest countries in existance. A calm, safe, efficiently run country.

Why would you suggest they are 'whack jobs'?

Yeah I never did find that there Europe city. The bus driver spoke foreign like and I ain't to sure he knew where he was going. Golly gosh do you know where that Europe is?

For those trying to make a case for gun control in the wake of the tragedy in Switzerland, I'm surprised that no one has tried to link this incident to Switzerland's survivalist mentality. How many here know that Swiss law requires each new building to be equipped with a nuclear bunker? The Swiss in fact have more than enough bunkers to house their entire population. Go figure.

I am not trying to make a case for anything. I am, however, trying to debunk a common argument used by the pro-gun people. The pro-gun people are always using the argument that 'every man in Switzerland' has a gun at home and yet they have virtually no gun violence in their country. Obviously that is not true.

I am not trying to make a case for anything. I am, however, trying to debunk a common argument used by the pro-gun people. The pro-gun people are always using the argument that 'every man in Switzerland' has a gun at home and yet they have virtually no gun violence in their country. Obviously that is not true.

They also forget that Switzerland has no standing army. All gun nuts in this country, who claim they love our Constitution, conveniently forget about the part that says "A well regulated Militia". Our National Guard is our well regulated militia.

Forum List

Back