Take Home a Stray Cat

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
One of the best things I ever did in my life was to take home my cat, Tommy, who was a stray cat roaming around an auto salvage yard, where I used to work as a night security guard. Tommy is a tuxedo cat, and he was the dominant male of his territory (the auto yard). He ran all the other male cats off, and was the only one who ever mated with the female cats.

LOL. Selfish little rascal he was, but that's the way they do it in the cat world. So, consequently, all the offspring cats were black & white in the typical tuxedo pattern (black, with white feet, & white bib), or some variation thereof.

Tommy was a cat that I could tell had been somebody's housecat previously. He wasn't born and raised outside feral. When I first saw him, unlike the feral cats, he walked right over to me, stopped, looked at me, and meowed loudly. I couldn't believe how loud his meow was. I'll bet he scared off a lot of male cats just by meowing at them. LOL.

One night when doing my rounds, I heard him bellowing from underneath a car, but it sounded like there was another cat there too. Sure was. It was Squeaky. A female calico cat who, just like Tommy, had to have been somebody's castaway, because of how calm and friendly she was. So, they mated, and about a month later (I guess it was) Squeaky gave birth to 6 kittens (all black and white). They were cuddled up together on the floor of one of the cars, and each one was barely bigger than a golf ball.

Well after about a month of feeding Tommy and some of the other cats around the yard, I decided to take Tommy home with me. He didn't have his name then. I was calling him "little white feet". I brought him to a vet to get cleaned up thoroughly, with shots and all. And took him home. At first he was in shock and went under my bed, and stayed there for 3 days. I kept feeding him, and he then got used to his new home pretty quickly.

Back at the auto auction yard, after a few weeks, the kittens started eating regular food, and most drifted off. One stayed behind, and staked out a little place for herself in one of the cars. I fed her day by day, and then decided to take her home too. She is now my other cat. I named her Lucky, and she is black and white like her dad, but with more white on her than him.

I'm now so used to living with my 2 cats that I wonder how I ever lived all the years I did without having a cat. People who have never had a cat or a dog don't know what they're missing. If you have a living situation that fits it,I recommend getting yourself one or two. I'd say they would be a good fit if there are not pregnant women in the house, or if you can't afford to feed the animals + some veterinary bills occasionally, which can be pretty steep. Most any other situation is probably good. Give it some thought.

Lastly, where would you get this dog or cat ? Absolutely do NOT get one from a pet store. I worked in a pet store once, and practically every cat and dog there was in bad physical shape. They come from mills who turn them out like cell phones, and for that matter why pay for an animal when you can get one free ?

I think the best idea is to look around at night, where you live. Apartment complexes tend to have lots of stray cats. You can very easily find one like Tommy and Squeaky who will look at you and meow at you, as if to say "Hey how about taking me home with you ?" The thing is, these are cats that were housecats, and some nincompoop idiot just callously put the cat out in the street, and drove away. Take them to a vet first, get them fixed, vaccinated, tests, dewormed, defleaed, and cleaned up a bit.
Soon afterwards, you'll wonder why you didn't do that years ago.

That's a fun read. The first thing you should do if you find a cat (or dog) is get them neutered.

Right. Or "spayed" if it's a female. I usually just use the word "fixed". Covers both sexes.

I've taken in five stray cats along with my two purebred, "on-purpose," purchased cats. The purebred cats were not from mills, they came from reputable breeders and are show-quality cats, although I never showed them. One is a silver-shaded Persian, the other is an Abyssinian.

One of my strays, Kan Balam, died a few months ago. His kidneys were failing, he was very sick and I had him euthanized. I had had him for nine years. A man in my neighborhood had lost his cat and I thought I'd seen the cat so I put out a trap and caught it. But the man said "That's not my cat!" and was going to take him to Animal Control, where they would have killed him because he wasn't adoptable...he was stark, raving wild! It took me 17 weeks of working with him before I could pet him. He had his own room, and then I blocked the door open just wide enough that he could come out if he wanted. My other cats started going in to check him out, but the big dogs couldn't bother him. Nonetheless, the first "person" he approached in the house was one of my dobermans, Hannah. He walked up to her and started rubbing on her legs. A couple days later he rubbed on my legs and a couple days after that I was able to start petting him and even pick him up.

My other strays are as you describe, protectionist, they were once someone's cat. Although, one of them, Lazarus, it took me a good part of one summer before he'd let me come up and pet him. Once I could do that I started picking him up. Once I could do that, I swooped him into a kennel and brought him into the house, where he adapted quickly.

Some people probably think I'm a crazy cat lady, but excuse me, 6-7 cats does not make a crazy cat lady! In addition I have three rescued dogs, and had my two "on-purpose" dobermans up until my sweet Greta died this past January 4th. She was my heart-dog and I have never grieved so hard for anyone in my life. 43 days and still crying my heart out every day for that dog...she was the light of my life and the center of the universe.

One word of caution...if you're going to adopt a stray make sure it's actually a stray and not someone's cat! A lot of people let their cats run loose, and whether you agree with that practice or not, those cats do have a home to go to and plenty of food and love, etc. So observe the cat carefully over a period of time and make sure it is truly a stray. Then, by all means, save it!

Oh, and once you save the cat, as protectionist indicated it's off to the vet for a check-up, shots and making an appointment for neutering/spaying. I was lucky with the crazy/wild cat I took in. I had a carrying kennel with the door open in the room he was in and he took to sleeping in it. Therefore, within a week of getting him I was able to sneak in there and shut the door of the kennel and whisk him off to the vet. They had to gas him right in the kennel to put him to sleep because he couldn't be handled, but then they checked him all over, gave him shots and neutered him.

Last edited:
P.S. Since I had other cats, whenever I'd bring a new cat in I'd also have them tested for feline leukemia. Didn't want to infect all my other cats! Luckily, none of them tested positve. Not sure what I would have done, but probably seek a home for them with other feline leukemia cats or where they would be the only cat.

If I took a stray cat home, the dogs would kill it.

You sure? My dobermans have never harmed any of the stray cats I've brought in. They know the command "NO CATS!" And besides, once they realize this is THEIR cat, they leave it alone.

Of course, the grew up from puppyhood with cats around. I brought in a stray Chinese sharpei and she leaves the cats alone, even when they come up and rub all over her and she doesn't particularly like it. :)

Last edited:
We have a regular little menagerie here. We have two inside cats that are SPCA rescues, then we have five feral cats that have adopted us. They do an excellent job of keeping the mouse population under control and when there are no mice around we keep them fed and watered. A good arrangement for everyone!

If I took a stray cat home, the dogs would kill it.
That nearly happened to us about 10 years ago. The girls brought home (yet another) stray cat and the 2 dogs tried to eat it LOL. I took it to my office figuring I'd find someone to take it. Eight years later, I still had Office Kitty.

After we moved, one of the salon gals next to my new office said that her mother lost one of her cats (old age) and was looking for another. My O.K. now has a kindly old grandmother to look after her, and a cat for company. I have peace and quiet and a hair free office. :thup:

More evidence of dogs tolerating stray cats! Oh, wait...is that cat in the foreground...DEAD!!!????

(JUST KIDDING!!)

See, that orange lump on the back edge of the bed is a cat, also. That little bitty open space is where I sleep. :) My husband moved into his own room some time ago...I wonder why. :)

Last edited:
I've taken in five stray cats along with my two purebred, "on-purpose," purchased cats. The purebred cats were not from mills, they came from reputable breeders and are show-quality cats, although I never showed them. One is a silver-shaded Persian, the other is an Abyssinian.

One of my strays, Kan Balam, died a few months ago. His kidneys were failing, he was very sick and I had him euthanized. I had had him for nine years. A man in my neighborhood had lost his cat and I thought I'd seen the cat so I put out a trap and caught it. But the man said "That's not my cat!" and was going to take him to Animal Control, where they would have killed him because he wasn't adoptable...he was stark, raving wild! It took me 17 weeks of working with him before I could pet him. He had his own room, and then I blocked the door open just wide enough that he could come out if he wanted. My other cats started going in to check him out, but the big dogs couldn't bother him. Nonetheless, the first "person" he approached in the house was one of my dobermans, Hannah. He walked up to her and started rubbing on her legs. A couple days later he rubbed on my legs and a couple days after that I was able to start petting him and even pick him up.

My other strays are as you describe, protectionist, they were once someone's cat. Although, one of them, Lazarus, it took me a good part of one summer before he'd let me come up and pet him. Once I could do that I started picking him up. Once I could do that, I swooped him into a kennel and brought him into the house, where he adapted quickly.

Some people probably think I'm a crazy cat lady, but excuse me, 6-7 cats does not make a crazy cat lady! In addition I have three rescued dogs, and had my two "on-purpose" dobermans up until my sweet Greta died this past January 4th. She was my heart-dog and I have never grieved so hard for anyone in my life. 43 days and still crying my heart out every day for that dog...she was the light of my life and the center of the universe.

One word of caution...if you're going to adopt a stray make sure it's actually a stray and not someone's cat! A lot of people let their cats run loose, and whether you agree with that practice or not, those cats do have a home to go to and plenty of food and love, etc. So observe the cat carefully over a period of time and make sure it is truly a stray. Then, by all means, save it!

Oh, and once you save the cat, as protectionist indicated it's off to the vet for a check-up, shots and making an appointment for neutering/spaying. I was lucky with the crazy/wild cat I took in. I had a carrying kennel with the door open in the room he was in and he took to sleeping in it. Therefore, within a week of getting him I was able to sneak in there and shut the door of the kennel and whisk him off to the vet. They had to gas him right in the kennel to put him to sleep because he couldn't be handled, but then they checked him all over, gave him shots and neutered him.

Sorry to hear about Greta and Kan Balam. I know how tough it is to take when the pet you love "goes away." Tommy died last September. I still haven't gotten over it completely and probably never will. I'm just thankful for the great 6 years I had with him. I'm sure he was grateful for the warm, loving home I gave him, and his biological daughter, Lucky, to be with him too. I suspect the people who had him before me, who abandoned him, didn't love him like I did. He always knew my living room was the right place for him. He used to jump up on my lap, and put his little round face (big as far as cats are concerned) right in front of me, as if to say > "OK Daddy, give me the works." And I did just that. An hour of huggin and lovin and rubbin.

Tommy was very affectionate to his daughter Lucky also. They would sit and cuddle up together, and lick each others head (where they couldn't lick themselves). Usually, this lovefest would end up in a fight though, as sometimes Lucky fearful of Tommy because of his large size (18 lbs), would swipe at him with her paw, and I'd have to go break it up.

Now, after Tommy died,I got another cat. Also, a tuxedo cat, her name is Lily and she is calm, and serene, and just like to sit by the window, alternating looking out with intermittant cat naps. I'm having a bit of struggle to get her and Lucky to accept each other. Both of them are tough cats, who grew up in a tough environment before I had them. They growl at each other when they get too close to one another. Lucky seems to be a bit afraid of Lily, who like Tommy, is also a large cat, bigger than Lucky. They seem to be acclimating toward each other though, SLOWLY.

Now it 's at the point where I can go out and not have to put them in seperate rooms, and I know they'll be OK. I just worry a bit about Lucky's aggressiveness. When she was only 3 months old (about 5 lbs), one of the auto salvage yard cats came by to Lucky's car (her territorial "home"). This was Midnight, another one of Tommy's offspring, and Lucky's half sister. Lucky chased Midnight away (who was twice Lucky's size) and chased her for about 100 yards, before letting her go.

I now try to give both Lucky and Lily a lot of love while they are just a few feet apart, and it seems to be working to get them to accept each other more now. Each passing day, they seem to be a little more friendly. :)

Last edited:
In my dog grooming shop, I have five cats. One was my life companion and the other four were all strays I picked up along the way. They had the run of the shop. The dogs that came in never bothered them, except for one rottweiler that lunged. He got used to the cats pretty quickly.

Some of the dogs that came in were reputed to be cat killers. Except they never bothered the shop cats. Some of them even made a particular friend of one of the cats. Actually most of the dogs had their companion cat that would come and hang out with that dog every time. I had all kinds of dogs come in, blind, deaf, disabled, some had lost a family member and been grief stricken and depressed. These dogs might be nervous when they came in, but with a feline friend cuddled up, calmed down and felt secure. There was one ancient pekinese, deaf and blind, he was so old he could hardly walk. Bubba was "his" cat friend and would get in the cage with him and lay down so the dog didn't feel alone.

I credit those cats with a huge part of the shop's success.

It was about a barn cat I loved so much I stole her. She's long gone. I don't blame myself one bit. My husband bless his soul was my buddy in crime.

In my dog grooming shop, I have five cats. One was my life companion and the other four were all strays I picked up along the way. They had the run of the shop. The dogs that came in never bothered them, except for one rottweiler that lunged. He got used to the cats pretty quickly.

Some of the dogs that came in were reputed to be cat killers. Except they never bothered the shop cats. Some of them even made a particular friend of one of the cats. Actually most of the dogs had their companion cat that would come and hang out with that dog every time. I had all kinds of dogs come in, blind, deaf, disabled, some had lost a family member and been grief stricken and depressed. These dogs might be nervous when they came in, but with a feline friend cuddled up, calmed down and felt secure. There was one ancient pekinese, deaf and blind, he was so old he could hardly walk. Bubba was "his" cat friend and would get in the cage with him and lay down so the dog didn't feel alone.

I credit those cats with a huge part of the shop's success.

I bet that rottie did. :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back