The Apartment

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
The Apartment is one of the great movies of 20th century. It's a drama and a comedy but most of all it's a romance. It is the kind of movie that will put a smile on your face. Nominated for 10 academy awards and winning 5 including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Script.

Even if you stay away from older movies and B&W's you should give this one a try. It's available on Prime, Comcast, and a number of other streaming services.

The Apartment! great great movie! and you don't mention Jack Lemmon, OP? OMG! he was a genius ! I adore that movie, Shirley MacLaine wasn't bad either!

Love the year 1960, love the black and white love the music .....love everything about that movie! one of my favs in fact!:eusa_dance:

The Apartment is one of the great movies of 20th century. It's a drama and a comedy but most of all it's a romance. It is the kind of movie that will put a smile on your face. Nominated for 10 academy awards and winning 5 including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Script.

Even if you stay away from older movies and B&W's you should give this one a try. It's available on Prime, Comcast, and a number of other streaming services.

If you're interested:

"Shut up and deal."

The Apartment! great great movie! and you don't mention Jack Lemmon, OP? OMG! he was a genius ! I adore that movie, Shirley MacLaine wasn't bad either!

Love the year 1960, love the black and white love the music .....love everything about that movie! one of my favs in fact!:eusa_dance:

Yep. It was on TV a few years ago and I saved it to hard drive. One of Jack's funniest movies right up there with The Out-Of-Towners!

Can't agree more with you. This movie is the brainchild of Billy Wilder who wrote it while directing Some Like it Hot. He convinced Jack Lemon who was fantastic in his production of Some Like it Hot to to play the lead in The Apartment. The question of who would play Miss Kubelik was resolved in an elevator where Shirley MacLaine was going to a scene in Can-Can. When Wilder saw her, he knew he had found his Miss Kubelik.

I first saw this movie in New York where I accepted my first job after graduating from college. I didn't know anyone and spent Christmas eve at home in my new apt. drinking and watching old movies, incredibly alone and miserable. I spend New Years Eve n a bar and like C.C. Baxter. I picked up a girl but unlike the movie there was no Miss Kubelik in my apartment. For anyone who has spent the holidays alone in the big city, the movie is likely to appeal.

Last edited:
Yep. It was on TV a few years ago and I saved it to hard drive. One of Jack's funniest movies right up there with The Out-Of-Towners!
Yes, it was funny but what made the movie so successful was the finial scene between C.C. Baxter and Miss Miss Kubelik playing cards when Baxter said "I absolutely adore you Miss Kubernik" and she said "Deal" with a smile that said a lot more.

Last edited:
There is a scene in "The Apartment" that Wilder meant as a small revenge on Marilyn Monroe for her making everyone's life a living hell on "Some Like It Hot". Monroe, with an ego that FAR outweighed her talent, often threw tantrums on the set of that film, she refused to come out of her dressing room or even show up to set on some days. There were more than a few occasions where the cast and crew were kept waiting for Monroe to recall her line, her marks, or her cues. Tony Curtis said that kissing Marilyn Monroe was like "Kissing Hitler".

So, when Wilder hired Joyce Jameson to play a seedy, over the hill blonde, and gave Ray Walston the line, "She looks just like Marilyn Monroe", he got a little bit of his overdue revenge.

MV5BMWQ5OWM3ZmMtODhkZC00MjA3LTk2ZTMtYjQ0NjQ2OWY3ZDA2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI4MjYzOTIy._V1_.jpg

Can't agree more with you. This movie is the brainchild of Billy Wilder who wrote it while directing Some Like it Hot. He convinced Jack Lemon who was fantastic in his production of Some Like it Hot to to play the lead in The Apartment. The question of who would play Miss Kubelik was resolved in an elevator where Shirley MacLaine was going to a scene in Can-Can. When Wilder saw her, he knew he had found his Miss Kubelik.

I first saw this movie in New York where I accepted my first job after graduating from college. I didn't know anyone and spent Christmas eve at home in my new apt. drinking and watching old movies, incredibly alone and miserable. I spend New Years Eve n a bar and like C.C. Baxter. I picked up a girl but unlike the movie there was no Miss Kubelik in my apartment. For anyone who has spent the holidays alone in the big city, the movie is likely to appeal.

Wilder, in 1963, again paired MacLaine and Lemmon in the film "Irma La Douce". A sweet movie, much more contrived than "The Apartment" and therefore less funny.

I miss the days when we had actual actors and directors instead of CGI drawing us to the theaters.

I miss the days when we had actual actors and directors instead of CGI drawing us to the theaters.
There are tens of thousands of movies made in the 20th century, still available It's a shame we don't make movies like we use to when actors acted and directors directed. Today's movies are just a shadow of the past.

In 1940 the size of the average movie crew was about 50 people and 20 actors and movie budget averaged about $150,000. Today the average crew size is about 600 and the number of actors is about 10 and the average budget is about 30 million.

I had never seen this movie, never had even heard of it. This was pretty good. I don't usually go in much for the older movies, but this had a real charm.

I don't watch too much T.V., so I don't usually see stuff, nor am I alerted to older stuff. . . so this was nice.

Some of the elements in this film though, I can see echoed over and over again in Rom. Coms. since this film. I definitely see Rob Reiner borrowing the NYE tension from the ending in this film, for his When Harry met Sally flick. Although I didn't enjoy this one as much as When Harry met Sally, I can see, there never would have been a Harry met Sally with out this film.

Altogether an enjoyable film, I highly recommend it. . .

"The Apartment" (1960) Romantic Comedy Drama​

I saw it one xmas just after a break up with a girl who, to be fair, wasnt my girlfriend. Very bittersweet.Shirey Maclaine though ? Imagine coming home to find her in your bed ?

I had never seen this movie, never had even heard of it. This was pretty good. I don't usually go in much for the older movies, but this had a real charm.

I don't watch too much T.V., so I don't usually see stuff, nor am I alerted to older stuff. . . so this was nice.

Some of the elements in this film though, I can see echoed over and over again in Rom. Coms. since this film. I definitely see Rob Reiner borrowing the NYE tension from the ending in this film, for his When Harry met Sally flick. Although I didn't enjoy this one as much as When Harry met Sally, I can see, there never would have been a Harry met Sally with out this film.

Altogether an enjoyable film, I highly recommend it. . .

"The Apartment" (1960) Romantic Comedy Drama​

The film is the brainchild of Billy Wider who had just directed "Some Like it Hot". He talked to Walter Mirisch about his idea and Mirisch suggest he put together a rough script which he did. After reading the script Mirisch said he would produce it and it would be the biggest hit of the year. Actually it became a lot more. In the years since its release, The Apartment has come to be regarded as one of the greatest films ever made, appearing in lists by the American Film Institute and Sight and Sound magazine. In 1994, it was one of the 25 films selected for inclusion in the United States Library of Congress National Film Registry.

In the movie industry, hit movies are studied by directors and producers looking for parts of the movie that made it a success. No doubt The Apartment has been studied over and over to pull out ideas to use in other movies. There have been several remakes of the film, in the US as Wicker Park in 2004, in France in 1996 as L'Appartement.

Last edited:
I saw it one xmas just after a break up with a girl who, to be fair, wasnt my girlfriend. Very bittersweet.Shirey Maclaine though ? Imagine coming home to find her in your bed ?
Coming home to Shirley in bed, yep I could go for that.

The film was definably melancholy but funny. This is not easy to do but Jack Lemon pulls it off nicely. Playing the womanizing cad was something new for Fred MacMurray who was staring in the sitcom My Three Sons about a widower raising 3 boys while working as an Engineer.

In Wilder's book he described some of the challenging scenes in the movie. In the bar scene with Shirley listening to Ol Lang Syne on New Years Eve, she realized where she really wanted to be. Wilder want that realization in the expression on her face. That 10 sec shot took over 2 hours. One other scene that was really a challenge was Jack straining spaghetti with a tennis racket. That 30 second scene ended up taking all day. At first Jack missed catching it when he tossed it in the air. Then he spilled it all over stove. Then the spaghetti fell off the racket. Each time the area had to be cleaned. The crew was laughing and Jack hit the spaghetti with the tennis racket sending it across the set. After lunch, someone came up with the idea of sticking the spaghetti together which worked.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back