The great Beanie Baby Bubble

Move Over, Beanie Babies, Webkinz Are Coming to a Store -- and Virtual World -- Near You

If you don't yet know about the Webkinz craze, you soon will, especially if you have children of your own or at least know one or two on your block. What makes Webkinz different from other hot toys of years gone by -- Cabbage Patch Kids, Beanie Babies, Tickle Me Elmo and even the century-old teddy bear -- is the business model behind them.

Move Over, Beanie Babies, Webkinz Are Coming to a Store -- and Virtual World -- Near You - Knowledge@Wharton

Should You Invest In Retired Webkinz? | EDU.UDYM.com

Move Over, Beanie Babies, Webkinz Are Coming to a Store -- and Virtual World -- Near You

If you don't yet know about the Webkinz craze, you soon will, especially if you have children of your own or at least know one or two on your block. What makes Webkinz different from other hot toys of years gone by -- Cabbage Patch Kids, Beanie Babies, Tickle Me Elmo and even the century-old teddy bear -- is the business model behind them.

Move Over, Beanie Babies, Webkinz Are Coming to a Store -- and Virtual World -- Near You - Knowledge@Wharton

. The key phrase here is, “while the craze lasts.” You may remember all the retail stores that sprung up selling Beanie Babies a few years ago. Not one of those brick-and-mortar stores is still in business. Those vendors actually lost their businesses because they were based on a fad.
When Webkinz fades, many people will lament that they had “tens of thousands of dollars” in inventory when the fad ended. Actually, while they have inventory priced at those levels, it was never worth that, or they could have sold it for that.

The key to these fad collectables is they must be of some intrinsic vale. A Beanie Baby has no value if it has a pink ear and every other one has red ears. There must be some intrinsic value. You have to ask.....would someone fifty years from now pay a premium for this toy?

Last edited:
John Aziz is an economics writer. He is an analyst at Pieria and writes a daily blog on finance, geopolitics, and economics.

This "economics writer" ought to learn the argot of economics.

The term he is looking for to explain these kinds of BUBBLES is ANIMAL SPIRITS.

It was an econcomic term coined about 70 years ago, so it isn't like it's a new concept REAL economic "writers" wouldn't already know.

Last edited:
I always thought anyone buying beanie babies as some kind of investment was nuts. They're nothing more than stuffed animals made to fit the hands of a child. They're meant to be played with and aren't any more valuable than the cost of the material to make them. We have a box load of them; my oldest never played with them by my youngest sure did. She just said to me yesterday that she could sell them for lots of money, along with her Tomagatchis. Yeah, have fun finding someone who will pay 'lots of money' for them.

The tigers in the pic at the link are positioned as if they are mating. :lol:

I always thought anyone buying beanie babies as some kind of investment was nuts. They're nothing more than stuffed animals made to fit the hands of a child. They're meant to be played with and aren't any more valuable than the cost of the material to make them. We have a box load of them; my oldest never played with them by my youngest sure did. She just said to me yesterday that she could sell them for lots of money, along with her Tomagatchis. Yeah, have fun finding someone who will pay 'lots of money' for them.

omg--I remember when people thought these things were like diamonds. My MIL would by my son a couple of these things from time to time and tell him not to play with them because they were too valuable. Hysteria strikes deep too

omg--I remember when people thought these things were like diamonds. My MIL would by my son a couple of these things from time to time and tell him not to play with them because they were too valuable. Hysteria strikes deep too

Imagine, buying the perfect child-sized stuffed animal and then telling the kid they can't play with it. :cuckoo:

Imagine, buying the perfect child-sized stuffed animal and then telling the kid they can't play with it. :cuckoo:

It's exactly what happened. Adults gone loony. We gave em away at a garage sale recently cause no one wanted them.

I remember seeing a mother screaming at a child because she tore the Ty tag off a Beanie Baby. The kids had more sense than the adults

I remember seeing a mother screaming at a child because she tore the Ty tag off a Beanie Baby. The kids had more sense than the adults

Yup.

I encouraged my kids to play with them.

. The key phrase here is, “while the craze lasts.” You may remember all the retail stores that sprung up selling Beanie Babies a few years ago. Not one of those brick-and-mortar stores is still in business. Those vendors actually lost their businesses because they were based on a fad.
When Webkinz fades, many people will lament that they had “tens of thousands of dollars” in inventory when the fad ended. Actually, while they have inventory priced at those levels, it was never worth that, or they could have sold it for that.

The key to these fad collectables is they must be of some intrinsic vale. A Beanie Baby has no value if it has a pink ear and every other one has red ears. There must be some intrinsic value. You have to ask.....would someone fifty years from now pay a premium for this toy?

Fifty years? Doubtful. It's a short term investment.
Webkinz sell for around $14.
One needs to gauge the market to know when to sell.

These are a few of the first Webkinz released.
RETIRED Webkinz CHEEKY CAT~New With SEALED UNUSED Code TAG~FREE SHIP & INSURANCE $299.99

WEBKINZ RARE CHEEKY DOG-1ST WEBKINZ-PERFECT FOR COLLECTORS-W/NEW UNUSED TAG The item is listed as a Top Rated Plus item $499.99

WEBKINZ RARE LOVE PUPPY W/NO MAGIC W-PERFECT FOR COLLECTORS-W/NEW UNUSED TAG The item is listed as a Top Rated Plus item $599.99

Retired Webkinz Cheeky Cat New with SEALED Unused Code Tag Free SHIP Insurance | eBay

Webkinz RARE Cheeky Dog 1st Webkinz Perfect for Collectors w New Unused Tag | eBay

Webkinz RARE Love Puppy w No Magic w Perfect for Collectors w New Unused Tag | eBay

btw-I have an original Pokemon card game, sealed! lol

RETIRED Webkinz CHEEKY CAT~New With SEALED UNUSED Code TAG~FREE SHIP & INSURANCE $299.99

WEBKINZ RARE CHEEKY DOG-1ST WEBKINZ-PERFECT FOR COLLECTORS-W/NEW UNUSED TAG The item is listed as a Top Rated Plus item $499.99

WEBKINZ RARE LOVE PUPPY W/NO MAGIC W-PERFECT FOR COLLECTORS-W/NEW UNUSED TAG The item is listed as a Top Rated Plus item $599.99

Retired Webkinz Cheeky Cat New with SEALED Unused Code Tag Free SHIP Insurance | eBay

Webkinz RARE Cheeky Dog 1st Webkinz Perfect for Collectors w New Unused Tag | eBay

Webkinz RARE Love Puppy w No Magic w Perfect for Collectors w New Unused Tag | eBay

Where are you hiding it?:eusa_whistle:

It's like a game of hot potato

Someone is going to get stuck with a useless investment.

You have a low quality stuffed toy with no intrinsic or historical value. You might find some sucker to pay $600 because some book tells her to. Sooner or later it will collapse as some new fad takes its place

Same goes for Pokemon cards

It's like a game of hot potato

Someone is going to get stuck with a useless investment.

You have a low quality stuffed toy with no intrinsic or historical value. You might find some sucker to pay $600 because some book tells her to. Sooner or later it will collapse as some new fad takes its place

Same goes for Pokemon cards

Some of it is supply and demand.

How much is Enron stock worth these days?

Pokemon is making a huge comeback.
Some of the holographic and foil cards my boys collected are in high demand.

If I tell you, I see roasted duck in my future. ;)

If I tell you, I see roasted duck in my future. ;)

I'm way faster than you

Forum List

Back