anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Why not go to hell? This is why hell is quintessential for you. You need to repair your collaterals as you go on in life. This is however impossible, because this would require to reset time. So, who can reset time? Only the Creator can. Resetting it then requires that you are not put back in the simulation, so hell with you. Your take?

No one ends up in hell unless they make that decision ahead of time. It's a decision to be separated from God. Hell is just an affirmation of that decision, and makes it permanent.

No one ends up in hell unless they make that decision ahead of time. It's a decision to be separated from God. Hell is just an affirmation of that decision, and makes it permanent.
But if you don't pray, and I exclude self serving prayers, then you have not made any work for your balance. Then what choice do you have but to go to hell? Prayer itself is helpful to work with the time problem too, but not much when you begin praying only because you don't have enough time left.

I'm trying to imagine why anyone, even a masochist, would decide "Yeah, yanno, I think I'll opt for Eternal Torment. I mean, why not, right?"

I'm trying to imagine why anyone, even a masochist, would decide "Yeah, yanno, I think I'll opt for Eternal Torment. I mean, why not, right?"

Even ISIS burns people to death once and its done.

But we're supposed to worship some imaginary, invisible creature who says that if I don't worship him, if I don't get down on my knees and mumbo some jumbo, he'll burn me for ever and ever and ever.

Pffft.

But if you don't pray, and I exclude self serving prayers, then you have not made any work for your balance. Then what choice do you have but to go to hell? Prayer itself is helpful to work with the time problem too, but not much when you begin praying only because you don't have enough time left.

There is no balance. God doesn't grade on a curve. There is nothing you can add to the sacrifice Christ made to remove the sin that separates us from our Father. It is a gift. Your contribution to your salvation from hell is to accept that gift.

Hell is not literal fire, that is a metaphor. Hell is eternal separation from God, with all that implies.

God is the source of all light, the source of all truth, the source of all life, the source of all love. Being cut off from the source of all light, truth, life and love for all eternity is what hell is. It's actually much worse than fire, if you think about it.

This is not a decision God makes. If you read the Parable of the Prodigal Son, God wants us all back, no matter how much we've done wrong, or how long we've been gone.

Atheist objections that somehow God is to blame for people's decision to reject him are illogical. The decision to reject God must be possible as a consequence of free will.

Salvation is a gift, but we are free to accept or reject the gift of salvation, and we do that with our thoughts, words and deeds.

Even ISIS burns people to death once and its done.

But we're supposed to worship some imaginary, invisible creature who says that if I don't worship him, if I don't get down on my knees and mumbo some jumbo, he'll burn me for ever and ever and ever.

Pffft.
God will not force you to love him Luddly Neddite, that is your decision. Your choice to love or not love God is your own. You have free will.

Why not go to hell? This is why hell is quintessential for you. You need to repair your collaterals as you go on in life. This is however impossible, because this would require to reset time. So, who can reset time? Only the Creator can. Resetting it then requires that you are not put back in the simulation, so hell with you. Your take?

I'm living my hell on earth. A liberal hell!

Hell is not literal fire, that is a metaphor. Hell is eternal separation from God, with all that implies.

God is the source of all light, the source of all truth, the source of all life, the source of all love. Being cut off from the source of all light, truth, life and love for all eternity is what hell is. It's actually much worse than fire, if you think about it.

This is not a decision God makes. If you read the Parable of the Prodigal Son, God wants us all back, no matter how much we've done wrong, or how long we've been gone.

Atheist objections that somehow God is to blame for people's decision to reject him are illogical. The decision to reject God must be possible as a consequence of free will.

Then it's a tautology. If God permeates the universe, you can't exactly step off the universe.

Or, to look at it another way, you're separated from God right now (unless you hear someone speaking to you that no one else can hear, in which case I'd suggest that's probably not God), and you're doing just fine.

The idea that finite created beings can comprehend the intentions of That Which Created Them because of something they read in a book is...mind-boggling.

And I say this as someone raised in a fundamentalist religion.

Hell should be the preferred destination for a whole lot of folks who want with all their hearts to remove God from everything. I would venture a guess that in Hell, these folks will have achieved their desire for I do not believe God will be in Hell.

Then it's a tautology. If God permeates the universe, you can't exactly step off the universe.

Or, to look at it another way, you're separated from God right now (unless you hear someone speaking to you that no one else can hear, in which case I'd suggest that's probably not God), and you're doing just fine.

The idea that finite created beings can comprehend the intentions of That Which Created Them because of something they read in a book is...mind-boggling.

Being raised in a fundamentalist religion means you are very confused about religion, because it teaches many things that are untrue. I suggest you read "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, which is a very good starter book to introduce you to ideas that all Christians agree on, mostly.

Also, hell is not in this universe so that it why it is possible that God is not there.

I believe hell would be a dark place, but I do not believe it would be hot or cold. Perhaps people in hell would have the company of other people, perhaps not. If there were company, it would not be a pleasant experience, since there would be no love between the people in hell.

Being raised in a fundamentalist religion means you are very confused about religion, because it teaches many things that are untrue. I suggest you read "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, which is a very good starter book to introduce you to ideas that all Christians agree on, mostly.

There's a chasm of difference between being raised in a fundamentalist religion and having the luxury - as Lewis did - of converting to it as an adult.

Still doesn't explain how finite beings have the chutzpah to presume they know what their Creator is thinking because some old men in the desert pooled their mythologies into a scripture.

There's a chasm of difference between being raised in a fundamentalist religion and having the luxury - as Lewis did - of converting to it as an adult.

Still doesn't explain how finite beings have the chutzpah to presume they know what their Creator is thinking because some old men in the desert pooled their mythologies into a scripture.
There's more to it than that:

The Holy See - Archive

Misleading young people into thinking hell is not a bad place is a very bad idea.

Forum List

Back