The Neuroscientific Basis of Consciousness?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
The Neuroscientific Basis of Consciousness

Baroness Susan Greenfield is a British scientist, writer, broadcaster and a member of the House of Lords. She is known as a popularizer of science, with her research focusing on brain physiology, particularly in the areas of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s diseases. She was the first female director of the Royal Institution and has received numerous awards, including the Michael Faraday medal from the Royal Society for her contributions to the public understanding of science.
http://thesciencenetwork.org/progra...ss/the-neuroscientific-basis-of-consciousness

Last edited:
This topic interests me immensely. I have been trying to understand thinking, language, and consciousness. The topics get sticky and complex quickly. I could not listen as it was choppy and broken on this old portable. But I think I side with Dennett mentioned in URL below. Consciousness brain mind is a process tool that takes inputs and gives outputs.

The problem with a purely physiological explanation is so what. Analogy, if I look closely at a computer hard disk it tells me nothing of the information stored there. I have to see it work. And even if I break it down to all its pieces it still doesn't help. So what if that is stored there.

Watching our grandchildren learn language and develop thinking is much more insightful - see an answer to 'how children learn language' I wrote sometime ago below. I am also reading Hofstadter, Dennett, Wittgenstein, and Pinker. Can a person think without any language. I have to go back and check Helen Keller's experiences.

Quantum Consciousness

>I think for a while at a biological, inherited, nature level, but because we are social creatures they quickly adapt and interact with the humans who take care of them, primarily mother. Thinking comes both from within, the core personality components and from your care and interaction with them. I am watching my 19 month old granddaughter develop both language and behavior and it is the most fascinating thing because today I have more time. Her language for a while was just expressive, meaningless imitative sounds, she is extremely verbal. That shifted to naming things, cars and momma and dada, and soon to conceptual naming, all women were momma, all men dada. She has categories of things now, things she fears, the dark, things she likes, going by by. Next step was putting things together, dada's coat, grandpop's house, momma's car. At this stage she is putting all those things together and I would call that thinking, and as some have argued I think her language use is the essential piece of that beginning thinking, that and her human nature. Today she can actually know where she is and where she is going and react to both according to what she wants.<

• Banned
The problem with a purely physiological explanation is so what. Analogy, if I look closely at a computer hard disk it tells me nothing of the information stored there. I have to see it work. And even if I break it down to all its pieces it still doesn't help. So what if that is stored there.

Knowing how it works helps you care for it and repair damage to it, though. Imagine if we could restore memory lost to Alzheimer's or trauma, or prevent dementia? Understanding how the brain really works could give us the insight to develop such medicine- as well as satisfying curiosity.

Watching our grandchildren learn language and develop thinking is much more insightful - see an answer to 'how children learn language'

I accept the 'Language Inst int' model. as I have hear strong arguments and read texts regarding very strong evidence for it.

Can a person think without any language.

Define 'language' I can think of a beer and want it without 'speaking' the word 'beer' consciously in my mind. Also, one must not assume that not knowing an 'outside' language used to communicate between individuals means one doe snot possess any 'interior' anguge of the mind unto itself.

Does consciousness even required a language or does using an invented one preclude us from even recognizing other communication forms especially self -recogintion.

Knowing how it works helps you care for it and repair damage to it, though. Imagine if we could restore memory lost to Alzheimer's or trauma, or prevent dementia? Understanding how the brain really works could give us the insight to develop such medicine- as well as satisfying curiosity.

Define 'language' I can think of a beer and want it without 'speaking' the word 'beer' consciously in my mind. Also, one must not assume that not knowing an 'outside' language used to communicate between individuals means one doe snot possess any 'interior' anguge of the mind unto itself.

True but cells are cells and we have to know what they do, how they grow die, and how they interact. We certainly need to figure out Alzheimer's etc but I view these as degenerative diseases. A friend's mother has A and that new medicine helps but tearing open a brain and doing a valve job on the engine is still hard. It is change and prevention, but I wonder if like cancer, age and biology will have the upper hand.

Not sure what the LI model is? You have a good link that simplifies the model.

The only reason you can think of beer is you sure as heck know what it is and why you drink them. That is embedded in your head brain mind. Now do this, imagine a doodad drink, now tell me what it is? Actually saying 'drink' gives hints that just the word does not. Or do something Hofstadter suggests explain to a primitive, 'soap digest rack' (soap opera) and do that explaining the technology behind TV soaps. Remember your audience and the thing you are describing. (Actually he give the example differently.)

Does consciousness even required a language or does using an invented one preclude us from even recognizing other communication forms especially self -recogintion.

That's hard, is a fly conscious you are about to swat it or does it just know something is coming its way by some other means? Is a dog more conscious than the fly as it knows (?) you are eating something it would like too as it sits and looks up at you and bays softly? Is the baby conscious of happiness as it smiles happily even though it hasn't a clue what happy is, nor what a smile is nor even why it is smiling? What would I be conscious of if I had no words (concepts). On a low level are all higher level animals conscious?

Wittgenstein wrote there can be no private language, most think he meant language can only occur in a social setting.

True but cells are cells and we have to know what they do, how they grow die, and how they interact. We certainly need to figure out Alzheimer's etc but I view these as degenerative diseases. A friend's mother has A and that new medicine helps but tearing open a brain and doing a valve job on the engine is still hard. It is change and prevention, but I wonder if like cancer, age and biology will have the upper hand.

The only reason you can think of beer is you sure as heck know what it is and why you drink them. That is embedded in your head brain mind. Now do this, imagine a doodad drink, now tell me what it is? Actually saying 'drink' gives hints that just the word does not. Or do something Hofstadter suggests explain to a primitive, 'soap digest rack' (soap opera) and do that explaining the technology behind TV soaps. Remember your audience and the thing you are describing. (Actually he give the example differently.)

That's hard, is a fly conscious you are about to swat it or does it just know something is coming its way by some other means? Is a dog more conscious than the fly as it knows (?) you are eating something it would like too as it sits and looks up at you and bays softly? Is the baby conscious of happiness as it smiles happily even though it hasn't a clue what happy is, nor what a smile is nor even why it is smiling? What would I be conscious of if I had no words (concepts). On a low level are all higher level animals conscious?

Wittgenstein wrote there can be no private language, most think he meant language can only occur in a social setting.

I knew it was a hard question--that's why I asked it ! :lol:

I cannot listen to this lecture right now but I am of the opinion that EGO DEVELOPMENT requires an ability to communicate.

Our best human tool for grasping reality is really langugage. (math being just another form of language BTW)

Mostly we understand the world based on an increasingly complex set of metaphors.

As our language skills advance we build on those metaphorical understandings making them more and more complex, perhaps more and more accurate, too.

I believe that our egos are really artifical constructs based on our ability to metaphorically grasp reality through shared understanding that we mostly get through understanding that one thing can be LIKE another. (for you math guys think SET THEORY)

Basically everything we understand (including our own being) is based on our ability to find some linguistic ability to capture the concept of reality in language.

I'm not explaining this well because why?

Because I lack the words necessary to make the metaphors work for most of you, I suspect.

Let me try using computer language to explain what I'm saying (more metaphors, eh?)

I suspect that the ID and unconscious are hardwired parts of our brains, but the EGO is a software program that is created as we learn to communicate.

To some extent that's exactly why the dream state is so difficult for the conscious EGO to fully understand.

They speak entirely different languages. Babies have IDs but not egos.

The ID is easier for us to understand because it is our animal motives.

TLI
(too lazy to look up a better source ;) )
Pinker argues that humans are born with an innate capacity for language. In addition, he deals sympathetically with Noam Chomsky's claim that all human language shows evidence of a universal grammar. In the final chapter Pinker dissents from the skepticism shown by Chomsky that evolution by natural selection is up to par with the challenge of explaining a human language instinct.

By calling language an instinct, Pinker means that it is not a human invention in the sense that metalworking and even writing are. While only some human cultures possess these technologies, all cultures possess language itself. As further evidence for the universality of language, Pinker notes that children spontaneously invent a consistent grammatical speech (a creole) even if they grow up among a mixed-culture population speaking an informal trade pidgin with no consistent rules. Deaf babies "babble" with their hands as others normally do with voice, and spontaneously invent sign languages with true grammar rather than a crude "me Tarzan, you Jane" pointing system. Language (speech) also develops in the absence of formal instruction or active attempts by parents to correct children's grammar. These signs suggest that rather than being a human invention, language is an innate human ability. Pinker also distinguishes language from humans' general reasoning ability, emphasizing that it is not simply a mark of advanced intelligence but rather a specialized "mental module". He distinguishes the linguist's notion of grammar, such as the placement of adjectives, from formal rules such as those in the American English writing style guide. He argues that because rules like "a preposition is not a proper word to end a sentence with" must be explicitly taught, they are irrelevant to actual communication and should be ignored. Instead, he recommends guides such as The Elements of Style, which focus on clarity of expression rather than prescriptive rules of grammar.
Pinker attempts to trace the outlines of the language instinct by citing his own studies of language acquisition in children, and the works of many other linguists and psychologists in multiple fields, as well as numerous examples from popular culture. He notes, for instance, that specific types of brain damage cause specific impairments of language such as Broca's aphasia or Wernicke's aphasia, that specific types of grammatical construction are especially hard to understand, and that there seems to be a critical period in childhood for language development just as there is a critical period for vision development in cats. Much of the book refers to Chomsky's concept of a universal grammar, a meta-grammar into which all human languages fit.

Universal Grammar

Universal grammar (UG) is a theory of linguistics postulating principles of grammar shared by all languages, thought to be innate to humans (linguistic nativism). It attempts to explain language acquisition in general, not describe specific languages. Universal grammar proposes a set of rules intended to explain language acquisition in child development.
Some students of universal grammar study a variety of grammars to abstract generalizations called linguistic universals, often in the form of "If X holds true, then Y occurs." These have been extended to a range of traits, from the phonemes found in languages, to what word orders languages choose, to why children exhibit certain linguistic behaviors....

vidence and support

[edit] Neurological evidence

Recent (2003) evidence suggests part of the human brain (crucially involving Broca's area, a portion of the left inferior frontal gyrus), is selectively activated by those languages that meet Universal Grammar requirements.[3]

[edit] Presence of creole languages

The presence of creole languages is cited as further support for this theory, especially by Bickerton's controversial Language bioprogram theory. These languages were developed and formed when different societies came together and were forced to devise their own system of communication. The system used by the original speakers was an inconsistent mix of vocabulary items known as a pidgin. When these speakers' children were acquiring their first language, they used the pidgin input to effectively create their own original language, known as a creole. Unlike pidgins, creoles have native speakers and make use of a full grammar.
The idea of universal grammar is supported by the creole languages by virtue of the fact that certain features are shared by virtually all of these languages. For example, their default point of reference in time (expressed by bare verb stems) is not the present moment, but the past. Using pre-verbal auxiliaries, they uniformly express tense, aspect, and mood. Negative concord occurs, but it affects the verbal subject (as opposed to the object, as it does in languages like Spanish). Another similarity among creoles is that questions are created simply by changing a declarative sentence's intonation, not its word order or content.

Universal Grammar

Midcan said:
The only reason you can think of beer is you sure as heck know what it is and why you drink them

Once one has been consumed, or the smell has stimulated the senses,, the body can trigger a desire and craving for something, without need for words.

Now do this, imagine a doodad drink, now tell me what it is?

Allow me to taste one once time, and I could- without name for or image of it- desire the taste again.

Language, as the term is generally used, allows for interpersonal communications only. Consider Helen Keller, or any other deaf mute. Did they not think, were they not self-aware before they had the ability to communicate with the outside world? If they were not, then they would not have been able to process the incoming information in order to learn to communicate with others in the first place.

That's hard, is a fly conscious you are about to swat it or does it just know something is coming its way by some other means? Is a dog more conscious than the fly as it knows (?) you are eating something it would like too as it sits and looks up at you and bays softly

IN the video, she discusses the potentiality of measuring consciousness and some physical occurrences that may be associated with it. I cannot adequately paraphrase, due to my own limited graasp of the phyiological and neurological matters she discusses.

? Is the baby conscious of happiness as it smiles happily even though it hasn't a clue what happy is,
The child is fully aware of the subjective experience of its own happiness; it merely lacks the ability to speak (just like walking, it is an instictive behavior that still must be develioped over time and truly mastered with guidence) and does not know the word 'happines' any more than most on this board 'have no idea what &#24184;&#31119; is, though you may encounter or experience is within your subjective reality

nor what a smile is nor even why it is smiling
?

smiling is an instinctive act ;)

What would I be conscious of if I had no words (concepts).

word = concepts

Wittgenstein wrote there can be no private language,

all evidence to the contraryl; we simply don't seem fully aware of it, as we substitute our own language for it during much of concious thought

I think we are hardwired to either learn or invent language.

In other words we are hardwired to write (or learn) the software program we think of as language.

We are, after all, social animals.

And I suppose many of you have noticed that mammals seem to share some universal language, too, right?

The sympathy sound (Ahhhh, pooor baby!) works for people as well as most mammals.

And warning sound (grrrrrr!) is also understood across the mammalian (and perhaps beyond in some cases), too.

Mankind is hardly the only species with language ability, I think.

Ours is merely very complex in comparison to other species.

But then too, so I am informed are the languages of of the Genus Phocoenoides extremely complex.

Last edited:
Editec, change metaphor to analogy and I would agree. Metaphor comes much later, give a child a metaphor and they will look at you, tell them something is like something and they get a better idea. The Freudian divisions sound interesting but don't get us anywhere.

JBeukema, I agree with Pinker that language is innate in humans (but probably other species too) but that is as far as I go. Would a child brought up in total isolation know language? Another goggle research item.

I watched my granddaughter learn language and as a baby she would make sounds constantly, we all marveled as she'd coo and aah even in her crib alone, at 2 plus she attached words and experiences and would lie in bed and talk about all the experiences of the day week or month, I think she is a gifted child but she gives a clear picture of both the naturalness of sounds and the more mature thinking words give to sounds.

How do you know a baby has subjective experiences, or maybe in a sense that is all a baby has. Again if a child didn't interact with people who oh and aah and smile would it smile all on its own? Hm, we are raising more questions than answers. A baby does cry at birth with just a little coaxing so maybe smiles are innate too, but even the whack in the backside if needed is a social act.

I still need to know more about that natural language isolated from society, don't think it exists. Even twins who presumably had a private language turned out to be just a take off on the parent's language. Does a baby hear in the womb? Or what does it hear.

Philosopher v scientist? So the person who looks at the cell knows more about the person than the person who looks at the person.

Last edited:
Editec, change metaphor to analogy and I would agree. Metaphor comes much later, give a child a metaphor and they will look at you, tell them something is like something and they get a better idea.

Good point. An anology is a more direct explaination.

But often metaphor works better precisly because one can get it without knowing that you've gotten anything.

Jesus didn't teach using parables because he was a literary kind of guy, but because people can grasp complex truths better if they're attached to a story.

I'm not in the illustrated fairy-tale end of the educational business for nuttin', ya know?

The Freudian divisions sound interesting but don't get us anywhere.

They give us the language to describe things that otherwise take thousands of words to explain.

JBeukema, I agree with Pinker that language is innate in humans (but probably other species too) but that is as far as I go. Would a child brought up in total isolation know language?

No, but two kids raised in isolation probably would.

Another goggle research item.
Good luck. I just tried and failed to find examples to support my contention. Pehraps you'll have better luck than I.

But I swear I read some sociologist's paper about cases of this happening back in the 70s.

I watched my granddaughter learn language and as a baby she would make sounds constantly, we all marveled as she'd coo and aah even in her crib alone, at 2 plus she attached words and experiences and would lie in bed and talk about all the experiences of the day week or month, I think she is a gifted child but she gives a clear picture of both the naturalness of sounds and the more mature thinking words give to sounds.

I think the best part of being the parent of a baby was watching my kid learn and them begin to manipulate language.

My son started saying "Hi" to me when I came into the room at about six months. Did he have any idea what he was saying? I don't know, but he only said that when I first came into his view.

How do you know a baby has subjective experiences, or maybe in a sense that is all a baby has. Again if a child didn't interact with people who oh and aah and smile would it smile all on its own? Hm, we are raising more questions than answers. A baby does cry at birth with just a little coaxing so maybe smiles are innate too, but even the whack in the backside if needed is a social act.

I suspect that some facial expressions are part of the inate programming most humans are born with.

I still need to know more about that natural language isolated from society, don't think it exists. Even twins who presumably had a private language turned out to be just a take off on the parent's language. Does a baby hear in the womb? Or what does it hear.

Babies hear in the womb.

A study carried out at the University of Leicester, to be shown on BBC's Child Of Our Time today (Wednesday July 11, BBC1, 9pm) reveals for the first time that babies remember sounds they heard in the womb and recognise them well into later life.
The study, by Dr Alexandra Lamont from the Music Research Group at the University's School of Psychology, demonstrates how one-year-old babies recognise music they were exposed to up to three months before birth.
The discovery explodes the theory that babies can only remember things for a month or two and suggests that memory could last a great deal longer than that.
This provides important new evidence for the influence of nurture in early child development, said Dr Lamont, who is a lecturer in psychology.
She said: We know that the foetus in the womb is able to hear fully only 20 weeks after conception. Now we have discovered that babies can remember and prefer music that they heard before they were born over 12 months later

source

Would a child brought up in total isolation know language?

Depends. How old was the child when put into isolation, and at what age was the child removed? After the proverbial 'windows of opportunity' in youth, language acquisition becomes much more difficult. This is why children reared in multi-lingual environments can master several tongues at a young age, while adults tend to find learning new languages far more of a challenge.

Philosopher v scientist? So the person who looks at the cell knows more about the person than the person who looks at the person?

The neurologist or neurocomputationalist has far more knowledge regarding the sciences relavent to The Neuroscientific Basis of Consciousness ;)

I found a link that leads me to believe that that language can only form in a social situation. If you watch monkeys and higher primates they make noises that are a basic language but they operate on a lower level. Sorta like the tennis players who make those weird effort noises. lol

Would humans isolated form language? Maybe over time but I doubt they would sound like Shakespeare. But back on topic, consciousness is a weird thing to try and isolate as we live in it. Trying to step back from it is like Hofstadter's strange loop. I did look up Helen Keller and she too learned language in an unusual way.

FeralChildren.com | Language acquisition in feral children

Keller:

"Miss Sullivan began her task with a doll that the children at Perkins had made for her to take to Helen. By spelling "d-o-l-l" into the child's hand, she hoped to teach her to connect objects with letters. Helen quickly learned to form the letters correctly and in the correct order, but did not know she was spelling a word, or even that words existed. In the days that followed she learned to spell a great many more words in this uncomprehending way.

One day she and "Teacher"—as Helen always called her—went to the outdoor pump. Miss Sullivan started to draw water and put Helen's hand under the spout. As the cool water gushed over one hand, she spelled into the other hand the word "w-a-t-e-r" first slowly, then rapidly. Suddenly, the signals had meaning in Helen's mind. She knew that "water" meant the wonderful cool substance flowing over her hand. Quickly, she stopped and touched the earth and demanded its letter name and by nightfall she had learned 30 words."

Helen Keller Biography - American Foundation for the Blind
Helen Keller - American Foundation for the Blind

I found a link that leads me to believe that that language can only form in a social situation. If you watch monkeys and higher primates they make noises that are a basic language but they operate on a lower level. Sorta like the tennis players who make those weird effort noises. lol

Would humans isolated form language? Maybe over time but I doubt they would sound like Shakespeare. But back on topic, consciousness is a weird thing to try and isolate as we live in it. Trying to step back from it is like Hofstadter's strange loop. I did look up Helen Keller and she too learned language in an unusual way.

FeralChildren.com | Language acquisition in feral children

Keller:

"Miss Sullivan began her task with a doll that the children at Perkins had made for her to take to Helen. By spelling "d-o-l-l" into the child's hand, she hoped to teach her to connect objects with letters. Helen quickly learned to form the letters correctly and in the correct order, but did not know she was spelling a word, or even that words existed. In the days that followed she learned to spell a great many more words in this uncomprehending way.

One day she and "Teacher"&#8212;as Helen always called her&#8212;went to the outdoor pump. Miss Sullivan started to draw water and put Helen's hand under the spout. As the cool water gushed over one hand, she spelled into the other hand the word "w-a-t-e-r" first slowly, then rapidly. Suddenly, the signals had meaning in Helen's mind. She knew that "water" meant the wonderful cool substance flowing over her hand. Quickly, she stopped and touched the earth and demanded its letter name and by nightfall she had learned 30 words."

Helen Keller Biography - American Foundation for the Blind
Helen Keller - American Foundation for the Blind

she wanted to know what OTHER people called the stuff
key point!
Did she need a label for it for herself or to communicate to others ?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back