The possibilities are endless.

Nothing is absolutely safe. The manufacture and distribution of the gasoline for your car has killed many more then either the American or French commercial nuclear power. Irresponsible nuclear power is a threat.

In the US there has been no deaths as a direct result of nuclear power operations. The worse being the following:

5. Three Mile Island Accident, Pennsylvania USA 1979 – Level 5
28th March saw two nuclear reactors meltdown. It was subsequently the worst disaster in commercial nuclear power plant history. Small amounts of radioactive gases and radioactive iodine were released into the environment. Luckily, epidemiology studies have not linked a single cancer with the accident.

Just so you know, there were not two nuclear reactor meltdowns at TM. Unit 2 melted down and for the most part the containment structures held. Unit 1 is still in operation today. The meltdown occurred because of incredible human error and plant design. Both of which have been corrected.

That said there was at least one incident that I think more troublesome. The David Bessie plant and the ALMOST breach of the reactor head. It was clearly the result of managements, and the NRC, drive to make money. IF the head would have breached at power it is anyone's guess what would have happened, my thoughts, it would have been the end of nuclear power in America

- See more at: Top 10 Nuclear Disasters in the World
I have worked at Three Mile Island, it is a very nice, operating plant. A Babcock and Wilcox plant, I think maybe 11 of our 100 plants were built by B&W.

The Davis Bessie incident. I was trained and did a few of the inspections that resulted from that problem. It was corrosion of the Reactor Head, the tubes that penetrate the head were welded in with dissimilar metals that began to corrode. At Davis Bessie the head was literally paper thin, literally, but the pressure is low enough in the reactor that it never breached or broke through and was discovered during a refueling outage.

I imagine if the reactor head was breached the Radioactivity alarms would of triggered and they would of shut the plant down automatically, with all the safety retrofits since Three Mile Island it is doubtful anything less than a safe shutdown would of been the result.

The steam from a failed reactor head would be contained in the containment vessel, which inside the containment building, 3 levels of safety.

Thus far no nuclear reactor vessel in the USA has ever failed.

All reactor heads have been replaced and are inspected.

Maybe the containment at DB would have held, we don't know that for a fact. Considering a 30 foot crack was found in the containment who knows? Loss of coolant accidents are designed for and trained for so maybe the opening of a football sized hole would have been able to be contained, probably but still maybe. As I recall DB is a pressurized reactor with a primary at about 2250 PSI, not really low pressure. Also, the leak was caused by cracks around the nozzles causing boron to leak out eating away at the the none stainless steel head. Fortunately the Stainless steel liner held at about 3/8 of an inch think.

The real problem I see with DB was the NRC inability to get them to inspect their head in the first place. First Energy sued the NRC to allow them to keep running. Boron contamination was everywhere in the reactor building and there was a literally water fall of boron from from the head. Air monitoring filters were being clogged by boron. Yet management made the assumption it was a flange leak on a control rod mechanisms without verifying it. What if that nozzle had not moved, by accident more or less, when they were doing inspections?

And what happened to management after gross mis-management was found? They scattered to the wind. The plant manager went to England and the rest were buried within First Energy. ONE lone engineer was held accountable, as I remember.

It appears to me that the lessons were learned from DB. First Energy paid dearly for their ignoring, what appears now, to be a very obvious safety issue. Let's hope the nuclear industry remembers what happen.

Here is the NRC's report of what happened:

NRC: Overview of Reactor Vessel Head Degradation

Here is wijpedia's version, which lacks some details.

Davis–Besse Nuclear Power Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Davis Besse Nuclear Power Plant

Nothing is absolutely safe. The manufacture and distribution of the gasoline for your car has killed many more then either the American or French commercial nuclear power. Irresponsible nuclear power is a threat.

In the US there has been no deaths as a direct result of nuclear power operations. The worse being the following:

28th March saw two nuclear reactors meltdown. It was subsequently the worst disaster in commercial nuclear power plant history. Small amounts of radioactive gases and radioactive iodine were released into the environment. Luckily, epidemiology studies have not linked a single cancer with the accident.

Just so you know, there were not two nuclear reactor meltdowns at TM. Unit 2 melted down and for the most part the containment structures held. Unit 1 is still in operation today. The meltdown occurred because of incredible human error and plant design. Both of which have been corrected.

That said there was at least one incident that I think more troublesome. The David Bessie plant and the ALMOST breach of the reactor head. It was clearly the result of managements, and the NRC, drive to make money. IF the head would have breached at power it is anyone's guess what would have happened, my thoughts, it would have been the end of nuclear power in America

I have worked at Three Mile Island, it is a very nice, operating plant. A Babcock and Wilcox plant, I think maybe 11 of our 100 plants were built by B&W.

The Davis Bessie incident. I was trained and did a few of the inspections that resulted from that problem. It was corrosion of the Reactor Head, the tubes that penetrate the head were welded in with dissimilar metals that began to corrode. At Davis Bessie the head was literally paper thin, literally, but the pressure is low enough in the reactor that it never breached or broke through and was discovered during a refueling outage.

I imagine if the reactor head was breached the Radioactivity alarms would of triggered and they would of shut the plant down automatically, with all the safety retrofits since Three Mile Island it is doubtful anything less than a safe shutdown would of been the result.

The steam from a failed reactor head would be contained in the containment vessel, which inside the containment building, 3 levels of safety.

Maybe the containment at DB would have held, we don't know that for a fact. Considering a 30 foot crack was found in the containment who knows? Loss of coolant accidents are designed for and trained for so maybe the opening of a football sized hole would have been able to be contained, probably but still maybe. As I recall DB is a pressurized reactor with a primary at about 2250 PSI, not really low pressure. Also, the leak was caused by cracks around the nozzles causing boron to leak out eating away at the the none stainless steel head. Fortunately the Stainless steel liner held at about 3/8 of an inch think.

The real problem I see with DB was the NRC inability to get them to inspect their head in the first place. First Energy sued the NRC to allow them to keep running. Boron contamination was everywhere in the reactor building and there was a literally water fall of boron from from the head. Air monitoring filters were being clogged by boron. Yet management made the assumption it was a flange leak on a control rod mechanisms without verifying it. What if that nozzle had not moved, by accident more or less, when they were doing inspections?

And what happened to management after gross mis-management was found? They scattered to the wind. The plant manager went to England and the rest were buried within First Energy. ONE lone engineer was held accountable, as I remember.

It appears to me that the lessons were learned from DB. First Energy paid dearly for their ignoring, what appears now, to be a very obvious safety issue. Let's hope the nuclear industry remembers what happen.

For some reason it seem I remember someone stating it was Low Pressure within the head, but that does not seem to be the case.

I do know that because of this I got to be on the head inspection team. I only inspected 3 heads that were being machined in Canada, I did not do any of the work in the plants. All heads of this particular design have been replaced. We had a 2 week class done by Wesdyne, we did an Ultrasound and an Eddy Current inspection of the heads. I did the analysis of the ECT data.

Yes, they should of noticed the corrosion, reactor heads seem to have been leaking in many plants. But not all, it was only from a certain manufacture that had problems, I forget the specifics but it had to do with the dissimilar metals in the welds of the nozzles. Not all of our reactor heads were manufactured exactly like so this problem effected only certain plants.

We are working on other types of inspections for the Reactors now, areas not inspected before, so that we can extend the life of our reactors.

It is a shame that Davis Besse was allowed to operate in such condition. I worked there, they made us do our Analysis in an unheated building in the middle of winter when it was below zero, crazy work conditions.

I wonder why the NRC never made them inspect the Rx head? They have a resident NRC inspector.

For some reason it seem I remember someone stating it was Low Pressure within the head, but that does not seem to be the case.

I do know that because of this I got to be on the head inspection team. I only inspected 3 heads that were being machined in Canada, I did not do any of the work in the plants. All heads of this particular design have been replaced. We had a 2 week class done by Wesdyne, we did an Ultrasound and an Eddy Current inspection of the heads. I did the analysis of the ECT data.

Yes, they should of noticed the corrosion, reactor heads seem to have been leaking in many plants. But not all, it was only from a certain manufacture that had problems, I forget the specifics but it had to do with the dissimilar metals in the welds of the nozzles. Not all of our reactor heads were manufactured exactly like so this problem effected only certain plants.

We are working on other types of inspections for the Reactors now, areas not inspected before, so that we can extend the life of our reactors.

It is a shame that Davis Besse was allowed to operate in such condition. I worked there, they made us do our Analysis in an unheated building in the middle of winter when it was below zero, crazy work conditions.

I wonder why the NRC never made them inspect the Rx head? They have a resident NRC inspector.

It seems to me that extending the life of plants means that the same reason they had a life expectancy was found not to be true? Or found not to be a problem? Or too expensive to replace? Seems to me neutron belittlement is pretty well known and I hear of no one replacing reactor vessels.

Boric acid and carbon steel are a bad combination. The inconel control rod nozzle did crack leaking boric acid to the carbon steel reactor head. The carbon steel was "ate" away but the boric acid. The stainless steel liner started to bulge, it was close real close.

Yeah, walking into the plant in the winter was a real cold bitch.

It seems to me that extending the life of plants means that the same reason they had a life expectancy was found not to be true? Or found not to be a problem? Or too expensive to replace? Seems to me neutron belittlement is pretty well known and I hear of no one replacing reactor vessels.

Boric acid and carbon steel are a bad combination. The inconel control rod nozzle did crack leaking boric acid to the carbon steel reactor head. The carbon steel was "ate" away but the boric acid. The stainless steel liner started to bulge, it was close real close.

Yeah, walking into the plant in the winter was a real cold bitch.
They were designed to last 20 years, now we have found with inspections we can operate them 40 years. Yes, there was a bulge, and had they lost pressure, I doubt anything would of happened, the plant would be tripped and shut down. These things are not bombs.

I've often thought that this is the holy grail of energy. Every man made surface that faces the sky should be a solar collector. Roads and roofs would be enough.

What happens at ni
I've often thought that this is the holy grail of energy. Every man made surface that faces the sky should be a solar collector. Roads and roofs would be enough.
what happens at night?
Oh that's the "holy grail" part of things. Just dreaming. Battery technology is improving but has a long way to go. I guess I just view it as taking the free stuff when you can. If you can save nat gas during the day you have that much more to use at night. Again just dreaming.

What happens at ni
what happens at night?
Oh that's the "holy grail" part of things. Just dreaming. Battery technology is improving but has a long way to go. I guess I just view it as taking the free stuff when you can. If you can save nat gas during the day you have that much more to use at night. Again just dreaming.

But solar isn't free it will cost plenty to manufacture install and maintain the panels that will only work half of the time if that

I just don't see anyway way wind and solar can produce the power we demand and still provide enough for future needs

We have to embrace nuclear power

What happens at ni
what happens at night?

But solar isn't free it will cost plenty to manufacture install and maintain the panels that will only work half of the time if that

I just don't see anyway way wind and solar can produce the power we demand and still provide enough for future needs

We have to embrace nuclear power
True but we've seen continual improvements all the way through the solar process and will likely continue to. I know some of the direct collectors super heat solutions which create steam all night. Again just dreaming but there most certainly is potential there.

Nuclear has it's own issues catastrophic in some instances. I'm not entirely opposed but would prefer something less dangerous.

Over all when it comes to energy you can put me down for "all of the above". Solar, wind, geothermal, bio etc. Whatever it takes and whatever is economical. I met a farmer 5 or 6 years ago that made his own bio diesel for a third of what is was selling for at that time. Innovation, you got to love it.

True but we've seen continual improvements all the way through the solar process and will likely continue to. I know some of the direct collectors super heat solutions which create steam all night. Again just dreaming but there most certainly is potential there.

Nuclear has it's own issues catastrophic in some instances. I'm not entirely opposed but would prefer something less dangerous.

Over all when it comes to energy you can put me down for "all of the above". Solar, wind, geothermal, bio etc. Whatever it takes and whatever is economical. I met a farmer 5 or 6 years ago that made his own bio diesel for a third of what is was selling for at that time. Innovation, you got to love it.
Which solar plant operates as you state, creating steam all night long?

Nuclear, how do you describe catastrophic? No deaths ever in the USA.

Solar, the possibilities are endless, you run out of land and can never make up for the lack of sun. Not to mention you must build thousands of square miles of Solar panels, forever, forever using hydrocarbons to manufacture them.

Wind, the possibilities are endless, we can keep building more, endlessly, and we can make them even bigger, but they will never make up for the power lost when the wind does not blow, not to mention they use hydrocarbons forever, for the endless manufacturing and the endless maintenance.

Geothermal is simply a ridiculous toxic poisonous corrosive process that requires a steady stream of replacement pipes and components which uses fracking to inject the poisonous waste into the ground.

Bio/ethanol, heavily subsidized that takes food out of the mouths of the hungry starving masses and puts it into the take of your car.

bio diesel? as long as he does not mind replacing or rebuilding his engine every 30,000 miles, than that should be his business, not a government subsidy.

Modern Nuclear Power is perfect.

Modern nuclear power is perfect at only twice the price and still the possibility of catastrophic failure. Fukashima was not supposed to happen, Three Mile Island was not supposed to happen, and there have been others like DB that should have been caught long before they were a danger. How many nukes with 2 to 5 times as many spent rods in them as designed for along the New Madrid fault? How many would go underwater if the dams on the Missouri and Mississippi failed, as almost happened in 2011?

Solar, the possibilities are endless, you run out of land and can never make up for the lack of sun. Not to mention you must build thousands of square miles of Solar panels, forever, forever using hydrocarbons to manufacture them.

Wind, the possibilities are endless, we can keep building more, endlessly, and we can make them even bigger, but they will never make up for the power lost when the wind does not blow, not to mention they use hydrocarbons forever, for the endless manufacturing and the endless maintenance.

Geothermal is simply a ridiculous toxic poisonous corrosive process that requires a steady stream of replacement pipes and components which uses fracking to inject the poisonous waste into the ground.

Bio/ethanol, heavily subsidized that takes food out of the mouths of the hungry starving masses and puts it into the take of your car.

bio diesel? as long as he does not mind replacing or rebuilding his engine every 30,000 miles, than that should be his business, not a government subsidy.

Some of the solar furnace plants use molten salts that can be used as a heat source they can usually supplement the heat output for a while but not more than a few hours

Modern nuclear power is perfect at only twice the price and still the possibility of catastrophic failure. Fukashima was not supposed to happen, Three Mile Island was not supposed to happen, and there have been others like DB that should have been caught long before they were a danger. How many nukes with 2 to 5 times as many spent rods in them as designed for along the New Madrid fault? How many would go underwater if the dams on the Missouri and Mississippi failed, as almost happened in 2011?

Why is it that you ignore every other design on the books?

You say "modern nuclear power" but you still use ancient light water tech as the standard

And why not use France as an example 80% of their electricity is nuclear and ALL the waste produced fits in a room the size of a basketball court because unlike us they recycle the waste, reuse some, and use some for medical isotopes which brings in additional revenue

Buying non-renewable energy and related systems is an expenditure. It is money gone forever. Renewable means investment, repayment over time, better than free.

Doubtlessly, we will have to wait until the next proof of nuclear horror before serious transition to reason.

Some of the solar furnace plants use molten salts that can be used as a heat source they can usually supplement the heat output for a while but not more than a few hours
I wonder what the name is, or if the person who posts such things knows the names of the plants or if they just remember a headline. Most stuff out here is simple headlines that people are told over and over and over. They eventually believe the headline. CSP with molten Salts. I know of CSP such as Ivanpah which uses water, which has failed. So I ask so I can look into it specifically and see how much the other person knows.

Yet, no body died in those accidents, Fukashima is an old plant, very old. We operate the same plants in the USA with zero problems. Three Mile Island did not hurt one person, not one. At TMI it was an operator error, they did not believe what the instruments told them. Well now we have self-overriding systems that prevent that from happening again. We still have a plant exactly like Three Mile Island operating, so no problem there.

How many would go underwater? Old Crock, Water is a natural Neutron Absorber, we would prefer them to be underwater if there is an accident. Fukashima failed because they lost the power to keep water pumping in. All they had to do was have the back-up diesel generator on high ground and there would not of been a failure.

We shut our plants down on the rivers in the spring, if the water crests above a certain level, so to answer your question, our plants are safe from flooding.

Buying non-renewable energy and related systems is an expenditure. It is money gone forever. Renewable means investment, repayment over time, better than free.

Doubtlessly, we will have to wait until the next proof of nuclear horror before serious transition to reason.

There never really has been a nuclear "horror"

The safety record of nuclear energy is a stellar one by any comparison

Forum List

Back