The Real Reason Tyson Bit Holyfield's Ear Off

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
I remember watching the first fight, and I noticed a tactic that Holyfield used to win the first fight, and started using even more in the second.

Holyfield was cheating by headbutting Tyson repeatedly, and throwing low-blows repeatedly, which the ref didn't really warn him about, maybe only once or twice.

But Holyfield kept doing it over and over again till he had cut Tyson over his right eye.

Eventually Tyson got fed up and bit the guy.

He figured if Holyfield was going to keep cheating, he was gonna turn the match into a streetfight.

Here's the fight with all of the fouls pointed out:

So Tyson got disqualified, but I think Holyfield really gave him no choice. Either that or continue to keep taking an unfair beating from a dirty fighter.

Any thoughts?

I remember watching the first fight, and I noticed a tactic that Holyfield used to win the first fight, and started using even more in the second.

Holyfield was cheating by headbutting Tyson repeatedly, and throwing low-blows repeatedly, which the ref didn't really warn him about, maybe only once or twice.

But Holyfield kept doing it over and over again till he had cut Tyson over his right eye.

He figured if Holyfield was going to keep cheating, he was gonna turn the match into a streetfight.

So Tyson got disqualified, but I think Holyfield really gave him no choice. Either that or continue to keep taking an unfair beating from a dirty fighter.

Any thoughts?

Boxing is so rigged I don;t bother watching it at the pro level, just the Olympic level, and even that is dicey. Anything that attracts gambling is going to be dirty at various levels. Heavyweight boxing at amateur and low levels rarely go more than three rounds, as those guys can hit and hit hard, yet we see 15 rounders at the pro levels all the time ... It must be magic ...

My Dad was playing against 25 year olds in high school football when he was a kid, ringers paid by rich boosters was common back in those days even in high school sports, and sports is still corrupt today. I never held up athletes as role models for my kids.

There was something about Tyson that I admired. He was a heavyweight champion who actually beat the crap out of his opponents. After many years of Larry Holmes jabbing his way to victory - not really what you expect in a heavyweight - Tyson was a bastion of normality in the division.

I agree with the analysis of the OP. Tyson's reaction was extreme, but understandable.

you dont see 15 rounds anymore....its now 12 rounds....
I think 5 rounds should be the max.
If you spend the entire fight jabbing and not doing anything effective, then you should lose.

I know that sounds crazy, but boxing has been ruined by guys grabbing and jabbing and going 10 to 12 rounds doing nothing but avoiding being hit.
That's why MMA has become more popular than boxing.

The headbutts by Holyfield were definitely blatant. Tyson has implied that for years.

What is puzzling is that Holyfield had Tysons number in their first bout, and didn't need to resort to that tactic, because by then Tyson was way past his peak, and pretty much shot as a fighter who could win anymore titles.

Any thoughts?

He and his team should have complained to the ref.

Weird after all these years they are finally saying this is what got him so upset. This makes sense. It wasn't that Holyfield was beating him it was how he was beating him. Notice Tyson never bit anyone else's ear even if they were beating him?

Regardless. Holyfield got away with it and made Tyson lose his cool. The old Tyson would have knocked his ass out. Not bit his ear off.

He and his team should have complained to the ref.

Weird after all these years they are finally saying this is what got him so upset. This makes sense. It wasn't that Holyfield was beating him it was how he was beating him. Notice Tyson never bit anyone else's ear even if they were beating him?

Regardless. Holyfield got away with it and made Tyson lose his cool. The old Tyson would have knocked his ass out. Not bit his ear off.
Journalists are biased whether they're in sports coverage or politics.

I don't think anyone really cared to find out what was going on.

I saw the fight live, and I was mad as hell, and so was Mike.

He was really mad, because Evander was cheap-shotting him, and the ref refused to deduct points from him for doing it.

If it had been me I would have kicked the bastard in the nuts or throat punched him.

He got away with it and only lost part of his ear. It could have been worse. If he had done that on the street Mike would have killed him.

It's only 'weird' to those who don't know who ran boxing in those years as to why 'nobody complained'.

Journalists are biased whether they're in sports coverage or politics.

I don't think anyone really cared to find out what was going on.

I saw the fight live, and I was mad as hell, and so was Mike.

He was really mad, because Evander was cheap-shotting him, and the ref refused to deduct points from him for doing it.

If it had been me I would have kicked the bastard in the nuts or throat punched him.

He got away with it and only lost part of his ear. It could have been worse. If he had done that on the street Mike would have killed him.
Holyfield won

With the help of the ref.
No one remembers it that way. To us it looked like Evander had a great game plan. Lean on his. Bully him back or don't let him bully you. When Tyson hits you with an elbow, head butt him. Or hit him in the balls.

Remember Mike used to love hitting guys in the face with his elbow? Oopsy.

No one remembers it that way. To us it looked like Evander had a great game plan. Lean on his. Bully him back or don't let him bully you. When Tyson hits you with an elbow, head butt him. Or hit him in the balls.

Remember Mike used to love hitting guys in the face with his elbow? Oopsy.
Sometimes that happens during a fight. The reason the ref is in there is to prevent dirty fighters from using dirty tactics to win.

Sometimes you get headbutted.
Sometimes you get hit with a low-blow.

But when it becomes clear that those dirty tactics are part of your game plan, the ref is responsible for issuing warnings and point deductions.
It seems to me that Holyfield knew he was gonna get away with cheap-shots on Tyson, because he hit Tyson several times below the belt.

I remember seeing Andrew Golota hitting Riddick Bowe repeatedly in the nuts and was disqualified.
Holyfield should have been disqualified for ramming Tyson with his head and hitting him in the nuts.
But Holyfield camouflaged his low-blows and heat butts.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back