The supporters of the ACA are wrong

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
If I was an arrogant twit that suffered under the delusion that history controls people I would even say they are on the wrong side of history. Since I actually understand, and accept, free will, and know that history is made by people, I will just point out what they have wrong.

People will be able to pursue their dreams.

People have always been able to chose to not to work, Obamacare did zip to benefit anyone who wants to do something like that. In fact, I can easily argue that the increased premiums and deductibles, coupled with a legal requirement, aka mandate, to have insurance even if you have enough money to pay for any medical care you need, actually discourages people in that situation from pursuing their dreams. That is speculative though, so we will skip going into detail about that, and simply explore the reasons why this will help people pursue their dreams.
The CBO has projected that low income individuals will be forced to chose between earning more money and complying with the new taxes. The defenders of Obamacare will blather all day long about how this is a good thing, but they are limiting choices, not expanding them. People used to be able to work hard, save some money, and then take some time off to write a novel, build a house, or whatever else they wanted to do. They could also chose to work part time for the flexibility, and opt to pick up more hours if the need, or desire, arose. They worked more hours in order to buy their child some new clothes or a computer. Then they went back to working fewer hours to have time for other things. If they do that now they will be faced with a sharp increase in both their premiums and their deductibles, which is described by the CBO as an after income tax.
Some businesses will reduce hours and/or wages
The CBO also projects that some businesses will reduce employee hours, and even staffing, to avoid the higher taxes on employees that exist under Obamacare. Yes, they say the numbers will be small, but in a workforce of around 200 million even small percentage turns into a pretty significant real world impact. I think they are underestimating the numbers because I see this as affecting almost everyone. For the first time in history, we will be charging companies a tax based on how many people they employ. I think they are correct that this will be offset, in the long run, by other jobs created elsewhere, but it still is a negative impact that hurts the individual, even if it is good for the group.
Some people will work harder just to stay even with people who work less
The CBO projects that the combination of subsidies available to part time workers and the lack of subsidies available to people who get insurance through their employer amounts to a tax on the entire labor supply. This will cause people to work longer hours to get the exact same benefits that a part time worker gets through government subsidies in order to allow that part time worker to work part time.

They go into detail about how they see it working in the report, but the gist of it is that they expect people to opt out of employee based insurance in order to avoid the implicit tax on that type of insurance.
Feel free to cherry pick the CBO report in an attempt to refute my arguments, you will fail. The reason for that is I am not cherry picking, I am actually using the entire report to show the obvious negative effects of Obamacare on the individual. The collectivists and statists see this as progress, which is why they are willing to lie about it. The individualists, like me, see this as slavery, which is why we oppose it with truth.

I wouldn't mind having the life of my friend who hasn't worked in 15 years.
He doesn't go hunger, has a roof over his head, all medical paid for, free rent, monthly stipend...

altho he is pretty fucked up in the head.

If the employee mandate is the issue, then my plan is perfect!

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2013 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-off’s/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2013 price structure.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

-Raise minimum wage to $23.50/hr. Based on where minimum wage should be using 1970-2013 rise in food, shelter, and transportation.

-Eliminate all business subsidies (deductions/write-off’s/write-downs) except for employee expenses which are deducted dollar-for-dollar on all city, state, and Federal taxes and fees.

-Adjust Social Security and private/public retirement and pension payments using 1970-2013 price structure.

-Back down ALL costs, prices, fees, to January 1, 2009 levels and hold them for 10 years.

-Recall ALL off-shore investments tax free, and disallow any further off-shore investments.

Not only is this the dumbest set of talking points in the history of the universe, it doesn't even address the issues I raised in the OP.

Not only is this the dumbest set of talking points in the history of the universe, it doesn't even address the issues I raised in the OP.

Bringing back the economy isn't an issue?

Bringing back the economy isn't an issue?

First, it won't bring back the economy.
Second, the issues here is why you are wrong in saying that Obamacare is a good thing because of how it will force people not to work.

Forum List

Back