The US government is deporting undocumented immigrants to their deaths

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
The US government is deporting undocumented immigrants back to Central America to face the imminent threat of violence, with several individuals being murdered just days or months after their return, a Guardian investigation has found.

The Guardian has confirmed three separate cases of Honduran men who have been gunned down shortly after being deported by the US government. Each was murdered in their hometowns, soon after their return – one just a few days after he was expelled from the US.

Immigration experts believe that the Guardian’s findings represent just the tip of the iceberg. A forthcoming academic study based on local newspaper reports has identified as many as 83 US deportees who have been murdered on their return to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras since January 2014.

Related: The migrants who fled violence for the US only to be sent back to their deaths

Human rights groups warn that deterrent measures taken by the Obama administration after last year’s “surge” in arrivals at the border of unaccompanied children from Central America have triggered a series of powerful unintended consequences across the region.

The number of migrants crossing the US border with Mexico unlawfully has declined sharply this year. But the increasingly militarized surveillance and patrol of the southern frontier has forced migrants to take ever greater risks in the routes they choose. And although fewer people are attempting to enter from Mexico, the death rate among those trying has gone up, activists say.

AAfmkql.img
© Provided by Guardian News Mothers from Honduras traveling with their children prepare to get into a US Customs and Border Protection Services agent’s truck after crossing the Rio Grande near McAllen, Texas.
Side effects of the crackdown can also be seen in Mexico, where authorities have also stepped up security across the across the south of the country.

Mod edit: Short to medium cut and paste, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Frankly, I don't give a damn."

I really don't. I'm sick of all this nonsense.

Forum List

Back