Think The Pirates will avoid a collapse the second half this season?

Think the pirates will avoid a collapse the second half of the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LA RAM FAN

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2008
The last two years the Pittsburge Pirates got off to a hot start and looked like they were going to be a playoff contender in in the middle of july but both times,after the all star break,they fizzled out and went on a losing streak the second half and could not finish with a winning season both times.

Think this will be the year they will break out and avoid it?

I think they will because at this point last season,they were only like 10 games over 500 at the most and started their downfall immediately after the all star break both times.this time however,they are 20 games over 500 and are still winning games and have not folded.

Thats why I think this year is different.anybody disagree?

for the one that posted you think they will,I'd sure like to know why you think this isnt their breakout year.you got to remember,the last two years,they were not 20 games over 500 at this point,just 7 or so and they were not winning games liek they are not as well.so why wouldnt you think this is their breakout year?

sure is strange that all 3 that came on and said they think it will be no different has no reasons why they think so.i think they are going to find they were gravely mistaken at the end of the year.

yeah I was as well.you can tell this is their breakout year.THIS time they are over 20 games above 500.no way could they finish with a losing season THIS time.they were never that many games over 500 the last couple of years.

I cant believe those 3 posters that said it would be no different actually thought that.:D

Its no longer a question of will the pirates have their first winning season,but the question has NOW gone from will the pirates have their first winning season to being will they win the division which is a very strong possibility and they could very well easily do now the way they are playing.

There are two things working against the Pirates at this point:

Their pitchers have been extraordinarily good, and this can't last - they will not be as effective in September as they were from April through August. The deterioration has already manifested itself. AJ got the win yesterday despite giving up 5 runs in 6 innings. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I don't think I'm wrong.

Second, their hitters simply cannot produce WHEN IT COUNTS. This sounds harsh, but having watched the season progress, their pathetic B.A. with RISP is only half the story. The other half is that when they DO produce, it is either early in the game, or after the game is out of reach, one way or another. When the game is on the line, they simply do not hit. They are the worst team at "small ball" that I have ever seen. Time after time, they start an inning with a runner on second and he dies there. Pathetic.

The combination of the pitchers coming back down to earth and the shortcomings of the hitters will result in a sub-.500 September, and gloomy prospects in the playoffs.

Mind you, they WILL make the playoffs - they are too far ahead to blow that - but as for doing well IN the playoffs, that is for some future year, if ever. And the "One and Done," possibility in the mini-playoff is a fucking nightmare that nobody wants to experience. The second wildcard team was the worst idea since the DH.

There are two things working against the Pirates at this point:

Their pitchers have been extraordinarily good, and this can't last - they will not be as effective in September as they were from April through August. The deterioration has already manifested itself. AJ got the win yesterday despite giving up 5 runs in 6 innings. I hope I'm wrong about this, but I don't think I'm wrong.

Second, their hitters simply cannot produce WHEN IT COUNTS. This sounds harsh, but having watched the season progress, their pathetic B.A. with RISP is only half the story. The other half is that when they DO produce, it is either early in the game, or after the game is out of reach, one way or another. When the game is on the line, they simply do not hit. They are the worst team at "small ball" that I have ever seen. Time after time, they start an inning with a runner on second and he dies there. Pathetic.

The combination of the pitchers coming back down to earth and the shortcomings of the hitters will result in a sub-.500 September, and gloomy prospects in the playoffs.

Mind you, they WILL make the playoffs - they are too far ahead to blow that - but as for doing well IN the playoffs, that is for some future year, if ever. And the "One and Done," possibility in the mini-playoff is a fucking nightmare that nobody wants to experience. The second wildcard team was the worst idea since the DH.

well as much as I am glad you are acknowleding the truth they will have a winning season., pirates fans should be just happy about that,who cares if they win the division,just be happy they FINALLY had a winning season.:cuckoo:

and the discussion here is its funny that the three posters who said they did not think they would collpase this year are too embarrased to come on here and say WHY they were crazy enough to think that.:lol:

this thread is just to celebrate them having a winning season finally.anything after that is just gravy.

I'm not sure a winning season will be sufficient to keep the fans engaged if they finish on a downer and lose the "one and done" against the Dodgers.

Watching Melancon give that one away last night was sad.

Why is nobody calling for Jay Bell's head? Because he's a nice guy?

Forum List

Back