UK under ransomware attack

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
Holy guacamole!

---

Government under pressure after NHS crippled in global cyber attack as weekend of chaos looms

TELEMMGLPICT000128460613-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqe5jTtuvhyhg4PHi86V8a0uHC4uooAYptTLzL00kNATY.jpeg

NHS bosses and the government are facing questions over why hospitals had been left vulnerable to the global cyber attack that crippled services on Friday.

The health service faces a weekend of chaos after hackers demanding a ransom infiltrated the health service’s antiquated computer system.

Operations and appointments were cancelled and ambulances diverted as up to 40 hospital trusts became infected by a “ransomware” attack demanding payment to regain access to vital medical records.

Government under pressure after NHS crippled in global cyber attack as weekend of chaos looms

The government there ought to have invested in proper protection for the hospital computers

It's called blowback. The exploit was developed by NSA to attack Iranian (and other countries') computer systems and somehow hackers got a hold of it and are using it to make money.

There are some very smart Hackers out there in this world. It is a War between those hacking and those trying to stop it.

Heavy Metal NERD BATTLES.

and it goes on.
nerd_fight_tex-100000258-large.jpg

The government there ought to have invested in proper protection for the hospital computers
I understand that the tories cut funding on this.

Defense and BBC, particularly BBC, is where they should be cutting funding.
The BBC is funded by license holders. Overall its a great deal.

Tax is now managed online. That would be horrific if they have skimped on that.

I personally think healthcare is not the area where UK should be cutting corners. It looks like UK's defense budget is excessively large. It will be wise to cut corners there.

I personally think healthcare is not the area where UK should be cutting corners. It looks like UK's defense budget is excessively large. It will be wise to cut corners there.
Apparently our trident system is also run on XP. God help us.

I am pretty sure you guys will find some ways to save money other than penny pinching your healthcare system. Just scrap the Navy altogether. 99% of the Euro countries do not have anything like UK Navy and they are getting by just fine. Some of them even have better healthcare than UK.

I am pretty sure you guys will find some ways to save money other than penny pinching your healthcare system. Just scrap the Navy altogether. 99% of the Euro countries do not have anything like UK Navy and they are getting by just fine. Some of them even have better healthcare than UK.
Scrap trident. Its a total waste of taxpayers cash.

Every uk election candidate pledges to increase taxes for higher funding for the NHS. The retiree generation rules, and they will keep ruling for the next 30 years.

The money will not go for computers though. By the way, it was microsoft's fault to begin with, to force people to throw away their computers for some new Windows 7.

If I was a government, I would not use Windows but Apple machines, because Apple sandboxes apps, therefore vulnerability is less.

It's called blowback. The exploit was developed by NSA to attack Iranian (and other countries') computer systems and somehow hackers got a hold of it and are using it to make money.

When will the hackers balance against the personal tracking software that governments run on border security retinal scanners and such?

I believe Trident is the only credible nuclear deterrence UK has. So I do not think it will be a good idea for you to scrap Trident. It is tough choice. I can imagine why those old computers never got upgraded.

If I was a government, I would not use Windows but Apple machines, because Apple sandboxes apps, therefore vulnerability is less.

Apple is far worse than Windows when it comes to backward support. I remember once my iPhone decided on its own to upgrade its OS. After the upgrade, the damn phone stopped working because new OS was not compatible with the hardware. I went on Apple's website to see what I could do to fix it. It turned out that to fix the damn thing I needed to install iTune on my PC and then download the old OS and then transfer (install) the OS to my phone. I said no. I gave the phone away.

Apple is far worse than Windows when it comes to backward support. I remember once my iPhone decided on its own to upgrade its OS. After the upgrade, the damn phone stopped working because new OS was not compatible with the hardware. I went on Apple's website to see what I could do to fix it. It turned out that to fix the damn thing I needed to install iTune on my PC and then download the old OS and then transfer (install) the OS to my phone. I said no. I gave the phone away.

I can imagine that from the management point of view, this is simpler than running continuous catching up with threats and patches after each data breach incident.

I believe Trident is the only credible nuclear deterrence UK has. So I do not think it will be a good idea for you to scrap Trident. It is tough choice. I can imagine why those old computers never got upgraded.
Britain does not need Trident which it cannot afford. There is no threat to the UK which needs nuclear weapons for protection.

Britain does not need Trident which it cannot afford. There is no threat to the UK which needs nuclear weapons for protection.
But then who will protect America's biggest aircraft carrier?

Forum List

Back