US Navy unveils longest-range missile: Will AIM-174B be a game-changer in Indo-Pacific tensions?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I post this half as information for you and also welcoming and feedback on this from the in-house military experts or hobbyists.

My brain, even in its current pained stake too many days of late, requires vast input, especially as I can't exercise anymore. As such, I am not a military expert but I do listen to countless podcasts on the state of the world today (among many interests), trying to sift through the wheat from the chaff as the world is facing a critical period in our history.

Per the aforementioned pursuits, I tripped upon a podcast (which sounded more like an infomercial truth be told) and they promoted this AIM-174B rocket as a game changer. From what I understand, it essentially allows the U.S Navy to maintain a posture much further away from China so that in the event of war their aircraft carriers and other assets will not be within range of Chinese rockets which apparently have a 250 mile range compared to this missile which is 400 miles.

Not to ever rest on ones laurels, China is currently working on a rocket to surpass this range (Im sure they are looking to purchase U.S spies for this). This pursuit alone should speak volumes about Chinas intentions over the next few years, after all, why would they need a longer range weapon if they are developing for peaceful purposes, but I digress.

Anyone have an opinion on this rocket? Apparently it flies mach 2 which is much slower than the Chinese made missiles but that is all I could find that was not positive in review.

The US Navy has introduced the AIM-174B, an extremely long-range air-to-air missile, in the Indo-Pacific, aiming to counter China’s aerial dominance. This deployment is part of a broader strategy to enhance US power projection as tensions in the region escalate.

Operational since July, the AIM-174B, derived from Raytheon’s SM-6 air defence missile, is now the longest-range missile ever fielded by the US. Capable of striking targets up to 400 km (250 miles) away, it surpasses the range of China’s PL-15 missile, providing US jets a critical edge in aerial engagements, Reuters reported.

I post this half as information for you and also welcoming and feedback on this from the in-house military experts or hobbyists.

My brain, even in its current pained stake too many days of late, requires vast input, especially as I can't exercise anymore. As such, I am not a military expert but I do listen to countless podcasts on the state of the world today (among many interests), trying to sift through the wheat from the chaff as the world is facing a critical period in our history.

Per the aforementioned pursuits, I tripped upon a podcast (which sounded more like an infomercial truth be told) and they promoted this AIM-174B rocket as a game changer. From what I understand, it essentially allows the U.S Navy to maintain a posture much further away from China so that in the event of war their aircraft carriers and other assets will not be within range of Chinese rockets which apparently have a 250 mile range compared to this missile which is 400 miles.
The range of the AIM-174B is 400 km, not miles. Which means it is the same range as the Chinese "rockets".

You said Chinese "rockets". A rocket is not the same thing as a missile.

See the rest of your post below:

Capable of striking targets up to 400 km (250 miles) away

The AIM-174B missile stands out with an impressive range of 250 miles (about 400 kilometers), more than double the range of the AIM-120 AMRAAM, the standard air-to-air missile for American F-22 and F-35 fighters. This extended range puts the AIM-174B well ahead of its competitors, particularly the Chinese PL-15, whose range is shorter than that of the AIM-174B, although the Chinese PL-17 missile can reach targets at a similar distance.

I'm trying to make sense of that last sentence. The PL-15 range is shorter but can reach targets at a similar distance???

The AIM-174B missile stands out with an impressive range of 250 miles (about 400 kilometers), more than double the range of the AIM-120 AMRAAM, the standard air-to-air missile for American F-22 and F-35 fighters. This extended range puts the AIM-174B well ahead of its competitors, particularly the Chinese PL-15, whose range is shorter than that of the AIM-174B, although the Chinese PL-17 missile can reach targets at a similar distance.

I'm trying to make sense of that last sentence. The PL-15 range is shorter but can reach targets at a similar distance???
Yeah that is confusing to the unfamiliar,.seemingly contradictory statements. Someone had commented that there was a vast difference in speed between these.competitors, apparently the American missile is much slower.but who knows? It was a random comment online

There are approximately 10,000 commercial airlines in the air in the world at the same time. The problem with ultra long range air to air missiles is .....identifying the target. Apparently that problem is unresolved.

Forum List

Back