US Pacific Fleet

Sure it has.

When did you leave Japan?

93, a society does not change its root beliefs in a couple years. Kids might think blacks are trendy but I know for damn sure the main stream politicians and leaders do not.

I agree. Especially with the Japanese. The older ones that is. VERY traditional.
They had a deep-seeded hate for blacks when I was there. Hard to believe they made such a turnaround since '96
So, I agree - I call bullshit on this one along with you.

When did you leave Japan?

93, a society does not change its root beliefs in a couple years. Kids might think blacks are trendy but I know for damn sure the main stream politicians and leaders do not.

I agree. Especially with the Japanese. The older ones that is. VERY traditional.
They had a deep-seeded hate for blacks when I was there. Hard to believe they made such a turnaround since '96

Older people everywhere tend to be more traditional. Retired was wrong on every one of his claims.

Well except the Japanese do not like half Japanese. The whole society is xenophobic. According to Japanese law a mother can not pass on citizenship either. They haven't joined the 21st century yet.

Seems to be.
Not that strange. I was born to a Greek mother and American father, and despite growing up in Greece I could not get Greek citizenship. The law was finally changed in 1984 and made retroactive in 2004. The upside was that since I had past the age for military service by that time it was waived.

Well except the Japanese do not like half Japanese. The whole society is xenophobic. According to Japanese law a mother can not pass on citizenship either. They haven't joined the 21st century yet.

Seems to be.
Not that strange. I was born to a Greek mother and American father, and despite growing up in Greece I could not get Greek citizenship. The law was finally changed in 1984 and made retroactive in 2004. The upside was that since I had past the age for military service by that time it was waived.

A child born to a Japanese and a non-Japanese couple and registered appropriately in a local town or city hall is assumed to be a Japanese citizen (can hold a Japanese passport, etc.) until the age of 18. At that point, technically he or she has to choose a citizenship because Japan does not allow dual citizenship (neither - technically - does the US, by the way, but we never enforce that provision). There are ways around that now too.

Retired was wrong on all counts.

The ethnicity of the commander doesn't matter. Does it? The point to consider is the whether the fat asses in the Pentagon tend to promote an Admiral on the basis of ability or political affiliation.

The ethnicity of the commander doesn't matter. Does it? The point to consider is the whether the fat asses in the Pentagon tend to promote an Admiral on the basis of ability or political affiliation.

It shouldn't matter
This admiral seems like he's a a shit hot superstar
Four stars for a p3 guy is amazing in itself

Seems to be.

A child born to a Japanese and a non-Japanese couple and registered appropriately in a local town or city hall is assumed to be a Japanese citizen (can hold a Japanese passport, etc.) until the age of 18. At that point, technically he or she has to choose a citizenship because Japan does not allow dual citizenship (neither - technically - does the US, by the way, but we never enforce that provision). There are ways around that now too.

The US ban on dual citizenship was thrown out by the SC in 1968.

The US ban on dual citizenship was thrown out by the SC in 1968.

Still on the books, but not enforced.

It shouldn't matter
This admiral seems like he's a a shit hot superstar
Four stars for a p3 guy is amazing in itself

The question that low information lefties seem to ignore is the political effect of appointed fat asses in the "joint chiefs". What does does it take to be a "shit hot (military) superstar"? Apparently not much else but sticking your nose in the next best asshole in line.

Hafu are extremely popular in Japan now. Actors, models, singers, TV personalities, and entertainers of all sorts who hare hafu are all the rage.

A very large number of Japanese travel abroad for work or pleasure. Foreign foods, entertainment, style, goods, etc. are all very popular and consumed by the general public much more so than is the case in the US, for example.

As has been noted, a mother CAN and does pass on citizenship to her children.

Japan has not only joined the 21st century, they are leading it in certain areas.

In other words, Retired was wrong on all counts.

Hafu are extremely popular in Japan now. Actors, models, singers, TV personalities, and entertainers of all sorts who hare hafu are all the rage.

A very large number of Japanese travel abroad for work or pleasure. Foreign foods, entertainment, style, goods, etc. are all very popular and consumed by the general public much more so than is the case in the US, for example.

Japan has not only joined the 21st century, they are leading it in certain areas.

Japan society IS notoriously xenophobic though.

Older people everywhere tend to be more traditional. Retired was wrong on every one of his claims.
To a great extent, people see in others what they are taught to see. Recently my young granddaughter entered the room while an old 1940s moving was playing and someone referred to orientals as being slanted eyed. She asked why are they called slant eyed? To me it seemed obvious but not to her.

To a great extent, people see in others what they are taught to see. Recently my young granddaughter entered the room while an old 1940s moving was playing and someone referred to orientals as being slanted eyed. She asked why are they called slant eyed? To me it seemed obvious but not to her.

Tell her "Chinks" is more widely acceptable.
Thanks asswipe.

Tell her "Chinks" is more widely acceptable.
Thanks asswipe.
Only to racists.

Japan society IS notoriously xenophobic though.

No, not xenophobic. A high degree of homogeneity as a matter of history, geography, and circumstance does not equate to xenophobia today. I would venture to say there is more interest in - even fascination with in some instances - foreign things and people there than there is here.

Yeah, the landlord character in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' isn't so hilarious to most viewers today. Cringe-worthy, in fact. Like you said, very young people might not even understand what they were going for with that character.

Forum List

Back