Usmb

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
How's everyone doing? I suppose I'll figure that out myself, soon enough!

Life has been a downhill spiral since I last posted here. For starters, the MRSA medication destroyed my gut bacteria, leaving me vulnerable to a subsequent Camplyobacter infection. After having severe rectal bleeding and the most intense pain of my entire life, the doctors were afraid to give me more antibiotics, else I contract C. diff and die.

As I was recovering from this food poisoning, I participated in my first autopsy.

Putting your hands into a dead man, pulling off his face, dicing up his organs, playing with his brain, scooping out the liters of blood...when that man had been alive just hours prior, changes you. It cannot be unseen. It cannot be undone. And yet, certain unique individuals do this for a living, and even enjoy it. Indeed, there is a grotesque, visceral, perhaps even sadistic pleasure in burying yourself elbow-deep in death, as though you are taunting the universe itself.

In addition to my studies in the Pathology Lab, the hospital now has me working seven-day workweeks. To any of you that are unemployed, you will be guaranteed work if you obtain healthcare-related educations, as this nation desperately needs trained professionals. Of course, it is very stressful, and there is simply nothing like it.

So, with work tomorrow, and work Sunday, and exams all next week...I drink. Drink until I can no longer remember my name.

Cheers, USMB.

How's everyone doing? I suppose I'll figure that out myself, soon enough!

Life has been a downhill spiral since I last posted here. For starters, the MRSA medication destroyed my gut bacteria, leaving me vulnerable to a subsequent Camplyobacter infection. After having severe rectal bleeding and the most intense pain of my entire life, the doctors were afraid to give me more antibiotics, else I contract C. diff and die.

As I was recovering from this food poisoning, I participated in my first autopsy...

After reading your first paragraph and then jumping to discussion of participating in your first autopsy, I was pretty sure that you were writing to us from beyond the grave.

But, I'm glad you are not, and I'm glad you are doing well.

I have missed you and fretted over you, eagleseven. I thought about posting a "Where Is He?" thread today but was gonna PM folks first. I am so sorry you have been so ill and stressed.

You are a fine man, and I'm glad you're okay.

heart.gif

Hope you are on the mend.

Maybe this makes me morbid, but I participated in seven autopsies during a pathology elective, and it never really bothered me that much.

Though I could see why pathologists get sick of it and outsource the work.

I've been wondering about you, E7. You've been missed. Drink hard, sleep it off and come see us when you can.

are you serious? Hugs
Indeed.

Hope you are on the mend.

Maybe this makes me morbid, but I participated in seven autopsies during a pathology elective, and it never really bothered me that much.

Though I could see why pathologists get sick of it and outsource the work.

Yes, you are morbid, and there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone in the pathology lab must be morbid, or we would not be good at our jobs.

In fact, I am considering becoming a Pathology Assistant, precisely because I believe I can do that sort of work regularly...and someone has to do it. Not to mention I would be making six figures in the hospital without attending full medschool.

Death has been on my mind, recently. Perhaps it is simply because I am still relatively new to the healthcare field.

Indeed, there is a grotesque, visceral, perhaps even sadistic pleasure in burying yourself elbow-deep in death, as though you are taunting the universe itself.

:eusa_eh:

Or simply a fascinating and deeply satisfying feeling as you see with your own eyes the intricate systems which give rise to and sustain another human being, another sentient mind very much like your own self. The brain is especially remarkable, as it is as close as you can come to examining the very system that gives rise to your own self as mankind begins to tease out from these systems the secrets of their workings and our own origins and nature, coming to know our own selves as a part of the universe and the universe as intricately a part of our own selves in a process of revelation and learning that can sometimes only be compared to what one imagines it might be like to meet a god. To hold a man's brain and to feel your own skull, picturing within your mind the homologous structures and pondering their roles in performing the very functions and hosting the very electro-chemical processes which give rise to your own existence and enable your awareness of the very process of trying to understand the processes that enable you to contemplate the processes that enable you to contemplate this indescribable scenario as though you were caught in some logical and philosophical fractal. It borders on the religious.

But maybe you're just fucking sick in the head.

After having severe rectal bleeding and the most intense pain of my entire life, the doctors were afraid to give me more antibiotics, else I contract C. diff and die..

Well, I'm not suffering from rectal bleeding, so I suppose I'm doing OK, you sexy dog.

Hang in there.

Glad to hear you're alive. Worked around death, pain and disease quite a bit of my early life gave me a better appreciation for life in general. Saw some horrid things, some wonderful things and occasionally was able to share little moments of joy with those who were survivors and those who weren't. Had those moments when you wanted to rip out the cold heart of some barely ill idiot bitterly complaining about their minor condition, bitching about the poor quality of treatment they're receiving just hours after balling your eyes out while trying to save a bleed out who knows he is dead and telling you it's okay.
Yeah, it can take it's toll.

I love to jerk my mother around... mainly because she would never understand anything i would say....One of her favorite things to ask was " but you must be learning a lot" .... i loved my answer. I told her I've learned how to kill most efficiently. :eek: She finally stopped asking.

Good to hear you are in the pink.

Not everyone can deal with the death thing, I did it for sometime. Good times.

But maybe you're just fucking sick in the head.
My first instinct was to run away, until my morbid curiosity took over.

It sure beat any religious service I've ever attended.

Macabre, not morbid.

Stop making it sound like something sick. You're the one that's sick, ya sicko.
Morbid is the appropriate word...as it is abnormal. Your average soccer mom does not dream of digging through dead bodies all day.

Abnormal does not mean wrong.

Well, I'm not suffering from rectal bleeding, so I suppose I'm doing OK, you sexy dog.
Are you trying to hit on me again?

:lol::lol::lol:

Glad to hear you're alive. Worked around death, pain and disease quite a bit of my early life gave me a better appreciation for life in general. Saw some horrid things, some wonderful things and occasionally was able to share little moments of joy with those who were survivors and those who weren't. Had those moments when you wanted to rip out the cold heart of some barely ill idiot bitterly complaining about their minor condition, bitching about the poor quality of treatment they're receiving just hours after balling your eyes out while trying to save a bleed out who knows he is dead and telling you it's okay.
Yeah, it can take it's toll.
Indeed.

It seems every time I become upset over some trivial matter, I encounter a person from the cancer center that looks like Gollum in LOTR, and I lose my will to complain.

Here, roll this up and stick it up your ass. It'll control the bleeding and help with the bacteria.
You've got the strangest ways of showing you care, JB.

syrenn said:
I love to jerk my mother around... mainly because she would never understand anything i would say....One of her favorite things to ask was " but you must be learning a lot" .... i loved my answer. I told her I've learned how to kill most efficiently. She finally stopped asking.
And completely honest! If you understand anatomy, you can deliver a fatal blow with nearly any object.

syrenn said:
I love to jerk my mother around... mainly because she would never understand anything i would say....One of her favorite things to ask was " but you must be learning a lot" .... i loved my answer. I told her I've learned how to kill most efficiently. She finally stopped asking.
And completely honest! If you understand anatomy, you can deliver a fatal blow with nearly any object.

Life is wonderful. And you understand just how fragile. Tell the people you love that you love them. Enjoy your life. :)

What you work on in pathology is not life. It is only what remains.

Eagle- been wondering where you've been, and happy to hear you're okay. I'm thinking you should stay away from bugs.:D

Forum List

Back