Weird news about the cicada explosion we are seeing.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta

"Kasson told NPR last month that the fungus is unique because it does “active-host transmission,” meaning that it keeps the cicada alive — and flying around — even after about a third of its body has been replaced by fungal tissue. “This is the puppeteer — the fungus — pulling the strings on its unsuspecting host,” he said. “It's keeping the host active to attempt to mate to spread the spores.”"

"“Eventually, their fungal plug gets ripped open, and they fly around raining down spores, further spreading the fungus,” they wrote. “Some scientists call the cicadas at this stage 'flying salt shakers of death.' ""

"Kasson says not to worry about the welfare of the infected cicadas, in part because of another curious side effect of the fungus.
“It turns out the fungus produces a stimulant called cathinone that likely means the cicadas don’t mind because they are possibly high out of their minds,” he wrote on X (formerly Twitter)."

Ain't nature wonderful?

"Kasson told NPR last month that the fungus is unique because it does “active-host transmission,” meaning that it keeps the cicada alive — and flying around — even after about a third of its body has been replaced by fungal tissue. “This is the puppeteer — the fungus — pulling the strings on its unsuspecting host,” he said. “It's keeping the host active to attempt to mate to spread the spores.”"

"“Eventually, their fungal plug gets ripped open, and they fly around raining down spores, further spreading the fungus,” they wrote. “Some scientists call the cicadas at this stage 'flying salt shakers of death.' ""

"Kasson says not to worry about the welfare of the infected cicadas, in part because of another curious side effect of the fungus.
“It turns out the fungus produces a stimulant called cathinone that likely means the cicadas don’t mind because they are possibly high out of their minds,” he wrote on X (formerly Twitter)."

Ain't nature wonderful?
Sounds like a typical day in San Fransicko.

Ain't nature wonderful?
Sounds like how government works

Ain't nature wonderful?
Speaking of fungus... looks like the guy has got a fingernail fungus.

1717842198547.png

Speaking of fungus... looks like the guy has got a fingernail fungus.

View attachment 959192
Granted. Here's great news, particularly for us old farts who were never exposed to these things in grade school:
Athlete's foot fungus will be the death of me for sure, but why cephalexin (Keflex), an anti-bacterial anti-biotic, has been the the only treatment that's ever worked for me, who knows?
In other news, it helps to strip unnecessary crap from links, for example:
Compare to link provided in the OP. That from just deleting the first question mark and everything beyond. Do experiment. Science!

Last edited:
To answer my own question, taking Keflex (an anti-bacterial antibiotic) does actually make sense.. since cellulitis (a bacterial infection) is the worst symptom I've experienced periodically due to my chronic athlete's foot fungus.. which is apparently mostly due to inheriting bad veins. Been soaking my toes with Chest Rub. Compression socks and various skin lotions help maintain the legs.

To answer my own question, taking Keflex (an anti-bacterial antibiotic) does actually make sense.. since cellulitis (a bacterial infection) is the worst symptom I've experienced periodically due to my chronic athlete's foot fungus.. which is apparently mostly due to inheriting bad veins. Been soaking my toes with Chest Rub. Compression socks and various skin lotions help maintain the legs.

I hope you get some relief and no further problems.

Getting old is not for pussies, is it?

The insects are democrats, and they can see the future. When they saw that Trump would be reelected.....

Forum List

Back