What era did you grow up in? What was good about it?

Born to Mom in 1938, my childhood was in the 1940s to around 1952. 1952 I started high school and really started to think more like adults. I too lived in a city called Oakland, CA where the home i lived in was a small tract home. And the rest of my time was in the country called San Joaquin County or Sacramento County. Country kids have more fun.

I agree, but as we age we like the city too.

The 70s and early 80s had some good music and concerts. Both rock and country, mostly rock for us.
Thanks for that Mary Hopkins song that I loved so much back then. I learned today she was Welsh and from the UK.

Now, the places I used to run around in are absolute hell holes. Fit for neither man, nor beast.
Like Einstein said, it's all relative. The kids today will never miss being free range and on a long leash because they never experienced it. They will also never any real chance of developing any people skills, just street skills, and their children will be even less individuals and more hive like.

Like Einstein said, it's all relative. The kids today will never miss being free range and on a long leash because they never experienced it. They will also never any real chance of developing any people skills, just street skills, and their children will be even less individuals and more hive like.

Times they are a changing,

Last edited:
I grew up in the 1950s early 1060s, I enjoyed living in the city part time and country most of the time.
It was hard work but also lots of play time. Running thru woods, riding my donkey, swimming in lakes and creeks, building tree huts.
Being the only female with brothers and cousins I was a tomboy. Other 2 girls were just toddlers.
We were dirt poor compared to pretty much all my friends and neighbors growing up but it was not handicapping and we didn't go hungry. I was blessed to have grown up in a time when the village DID raise the children and adults took responsibility to be positive role models for the kids.

Shared values, customs, traditions meant that everybody knew what was right and wrong, parents parented whatever kids happened to be within earshot but we kids had free run of the neighborhood and made our own fun. We were just required to be within the sound of our mothers' voices when the street lights came on.

Pretty much every pickup in the school parking lot had a gun rack in the back and nobody ever got shot in all my growing up years. Well one guy did shoot himself in the toe but that was just a funny story and no danger to anybody. I don't remember any suicides. Certainly school was an entirely safe place to be and we were blessed to not have any political correctness or SJW stuff that kept us from enjoying all the seasons and all the special days and holidays as they were intended.

The 50s and 60s had the very best music too. :)

Last edited:
My father rode a horse or walked to school when he went, and grew up dirt poor with 13 siblings. Same with my wife's dad, both of them joined the Marines to get out of poverty and were raised in the depression, and had to grow up tough. Her dad fought in ww2, Korea, and Viet Nam, mine in ww2. My grandfather fought in the civil war, from NC, and I doubt if he was a plantation owner. I never heard either of them complain or glorify their growing up, what it was is what it was. I rode the school bus or walked to school even in my senior year, and it wasn't uncommon then. We talked on the bus and talked at school. Then you joined the military (draft in 1965), and you talked with each other some more. I had a good childhood, not much money, but a lot of friends, a lot of whom I still keep in contact with. I think looking back is that we resolved problems through mutual respect and weren't influenced by all this social media today and people trying to force ideas down your throat that you really didn't want. How you perceive and remember if the times were good or bad depends more on your own values, and without good and firm values you are very susceptible to being unhappy.

We were dirt poor compared to pretty much all my friends and neighbors growing up but it was not handicapping and we didn't go hungry. I was blessed to have grown up in a time when the village DID raise the children and adults took responsibility to be positive role models for the kids.

Shared values, customs, traditions meant that everybody knew what was right and wrong, parents parented whatever kids happened to be within earshot but we kids had free run of the neighborhood and made our own fun. We were just required to be within the sound of our mothers' voices when the street lights came on.

Pretty much very pickup in the school parking lot had a gun rack in the back and nobody ever got shot in all my growing up years. Well one guy did shoot himself in the toe but that was just a funny story and no danger to anybody. I don't remember any suicides. Certainly school was an entirely safe place to be and we were blessed to not have any political correctness or SJW stuff that kept us from enjoying all the seasons and all the special days and holidays as they were intended.

The 50s and 60s had the very best music too. :)
I relate to almost all of that. Growing up poor in CA turned out to be a blessing. Dad was a mechanic and did not serve in WW2 due to Mom having 5 of us living with him. I was the oldest. I went to country schools after leaving Oakland CA when WW2 was raging. Hiking to school was normal for me at the time. Having Dad lie to mom was ordinary. I was raised to be a Democrat. After voting for Carter and his mess, I smartened up and have since him stuck to being a Republican. My time in Georgia was spent at Ft. Benning. Biden and his crew did not like Benning and changed the name. God must know why.
As a poor boy, could anybody wanting to get rich? Remember the book Think and grow rich? It impressed me. I ran into rich families after high school. I learned they were actually excellent people. Not like we Democrats said they are.

We got hungry a few times but not for long.
Back then you'd rather die than ask for charity and my childhood friend and I almost did. The two toons we married left us and went to New Orleans. She was 7 months pg and I was 4months.
We went to the laundry mat to ask for a quarter because our babies were out of cream. A man in a suit came in to wash a load and she said 'ask him 'I whispered you ask. So went walked back to our apt and beat the heck out of each other for not asking. She put her hands around my pg waist and said we are going to die I can almost see the baby. She started crying for the sob that left us while I was wondering how I could hurt mine real bad and get away with it. LOL. We finally got to eat but both need blood transfusing from malnutrition. I knew we could wait it out. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. She never did get that strong.

Wow! So sorry when anyone goes through that kind of trauma, but I'm glad you survived it.

I remember the hungriest I ever was. My boyfriend and I were so poor that one meal a day was all we had, and it was usually rice and packaged gravy. When we really wanted to splurge, it was Rice-A-Roni! This was in the last month before Thanksgiving, so the holiday feast at his mom's was even more wonderful than usual!

My father rode a horse or walked to school when he went, and grew up dirt poor with 13 siblings. Same with my wife's dad, both of them joined the Marines to get out of poverty and were raised in the depression, and had to grow up tough. Her dad fought in ww2, Korea, and Viet Nam, mine in ww2. My grandfather fought in the civil war, from NC, and I doubt if he was a plantation owner. I never heard either of them complain or glorify their growing up, what it was is what it was. I rode the school bus or walked to school even in my senior year, and it wasn't uncommon then. We talked on the bus and talked at school. Then you joined the military (draft in 1965), and you talked with each other some more. I had a good childhood, not much money, but a lot of friends, a lot of whom I still keep in contact with. I think looking back is that we resolved problems through mutual respect and weren't influenced by all this social media today and peope Great Depression.le trying to force ideas down your throat that you really didn't want. How you perceive and remember if the times were good or bad depends more on your own values, and without good and firm values you are very susceptible to being unhappy.

My maternal grandfather got very rich off the Great Depression.
Although it seems many had the same experience you did. It was terrible times for most.

Wow! So sorry when anyone goes through that kind of trauma, but I'm glad you survived it.

I remember the hungriest I ever was. My boyfriend and I were so poor that one meal a day was all we had, and it was usually rice and packaged gravy. When we really wanted to splurge, it was Rice-A-Roni! This was in the last month before Thanksgiving, so the holiday feast at his mom's was even more wonderful than usual!

Bad things can happen so fast to us all, but especially the young because they don't think it can happen to them.
Hard times groom us for life. Thanks for caring. I used to call the kids father SOS aka son of Satan. May he rest in peace.

I relate to almost all of that. Growing up poor in CA turned out to be a blessing. Dad was a mechanic and did not serve in WW2 due to Mom having 5 of us living with him. I was the oldest. I went to country schools after leaving Oakland CA when WW2 was raging. Hiking to school was normal for me at the time. Having Dad lie to mom was ordinary. I was raised to be a Democrat. After voting for Carter and his mess, I smartened up and have since him stuck to being a Republican. My time in Georgia was spent at Ft. Benning. Biden and his crew did not like Benning and changed the name. God must know why.
As a poor boy, could anybody wanting to get rich? Remember the book Think and grow rich? It impressed me. I ran into rich families after high school. I learned they were actually excellent people. Not like we Democrats said they are.
And Democrats show no concern at all when Republicans go hungry.

Forum List

Back