What I learned about Slavery today...

Shelzin

Equal Opportunity Asshole
Jul 15, 2012
The very first legal slave owner in this country was Black man......who sued in court to keep an indentured servant as a permanent slave.
That is by the US government.

His name was Anthony Johnson, who was indeed a black man.

This was the first instance of a judicial determination in the Thirteen Colonies holding that a person who had committed no crime could be held in servitude for life.
Look around today. Because there is a different kind of servitude going on.

• Banned
The very first legal slave owner in this country was Black man......who sued in court to keep an indentured servant as a permanent slave.

This was the first instance of a judicial determination in the Thirteen Colonies holding that a person who had committed no crime could be held in servitude for life.
Look around today. Because there is a different kind of servitude going on.
No disagreement from me.

Here's what I learn today.

"Research indicates that when Johnson died in 1670, his plantation was given to a white colonist, not to Johnson's children. A judge had ruled that he was "not a citizen of the colony" because he was black."

Ever wonder how black man just happened to appear on the shores of North America?

• White Lion. In 1619, a Dutch ship, the White Lion, captured 20 enslaved Africans in a battle with a Spanish ship. They landed at Jamestown, Virginia for repairs from the battle. For food and supplies, the Dutch traded the enslaved Africans to the Colonials as indentured servants.

• Banned

"Research indicates that when Johnson died in 1670, his plantation was given to a white colonist, not to Johnson's children. A judge had ruled that he was "not a citizen of the colony" because he was black."
At the time it happened, he was known as a "Free Negro"... So while it may have changed later, he was indeed the first slave owner. He was a free man.

Last edited:
  • Banned

Ever wonder hos black man just happened to appear on the shores of North America?
  • White Lion. In 1619, a Dutch ship, the White Lion, captured 20 enslaved Africans in a battle with a Spanish ship. They landed at Jamestown, Virginia for repairs from the battle. For food and supplies, the Dutch traded the enslaved Africans to the Colonials as indentured servants.

What was the point of that?

Ever wonder hos black man just happened to appear on the shores of North America?

What was the point of showing you that there were slaves before a slave owner was black in the colonies? Wow, what a deep question..

• Banned

What was the point of showing you that there were slaves before a slave owner was black in the colonies? Wow, what a deep question..
Ummm... You didn't address the qualification I gave in the OP... That is by the US government. So...

Always remember... Nobody can make you look stupid. You have to do it. I will help you as much as I can however. I really don't like hypocrites.

At the time it happened, he was known as a "Free Negro"... So while it may have changed later, he was indeed the first slave owner. He was a free man.

First victims of the Separate but Equal (wink, wink) clause? It was merely a few years later when he died.

Indentured servitude is much different than slavery in perpetuity. Which came first, the demonizing of Africans, or our chattel slavery system where even the children of African slaves were nothing but valued livestock?

First victims of the Separate but Equal (wink, wink) clause? It was merely a few years later when he died.
No disagreement.

Indentured servitude is much different than slavery in perpetuity.
I agree. Which is why there was a qualifier there. It was the first time the government said that contract means nothing. You slave in perpetuity.

Which came first the demonizing of Africans or our chattel slavery system where even the children of slaves were nothing but valued livestock?
You already know the answer to that. You also know that it doesn't mean anything to what I said.

Forum List

Back