what is a good download speed?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Im currently downloading a military shooter on steam and my numbers are as follows...

2.1 MB/S DOWNLOAD RATE
2.5 MB/S PEAK DOWNLOAD RATE
1.1 GB TOTAL DOWNLOADED

I dunno if that is a good speed or not. I have the middle internet speed through timewarner

Im currently downloading a military shooter on steam and my numbers are as follows...

2.1 MB/S DOWNLOAD RATE
2.5 MB/S PEAK DOWNLOAD RATE
1.1 GB TOTAL DOWNLOADED

I dunno if that is a good speed or not. I have the middle internet speed through timewarner

That is lower than what would be considered good speeds now. The real trick though is knowing what speed you are paying for. Different companies vary their speed packages according to your geographic location,even within the company (I actually do work for an ISP) so "middle internet speed" does not really help me answer your question (sorry I wish it did). Those speeds seem pretty typical for a 3mb asymmetrical (meaning download and upload speeds do not match) plan though. Hope this helps.

to me that looks slow. i get somewhere around 8MB/s on average, peaking around 11 MB/s.

pay $30/month for it.

Chassit is right...it depends on what package you have with the provider.
Most offer three tiers of speed or more.
At the same time, speed is also dependent on the bandwidth of who you are downloading from and how many hops are between you and them.
On some sites I barely get above 1.1 mbs...others 4-5 mbs, and some private servers beyond that.

Thanks. If memory serves me right I don't believe I'm getting what im paying for.

i ran into an issue with centurylink dsl - i was paying for a 10MB/s service but only able to get 700kb/s. this of course was not acceptable, however when i called and complained to them they told me that the lines in my area could not support higher speeds and that i was getting the best i could. they also pointed out that they use the phrase 'up to' when describing their download speeds.

i told them to shove it.

Attachments

• $2560365879.png
    $2560365879.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Well I just remembered this computer is connected wirelessly cause the other computer is with the modem in the other room. Dunno if that slows it down much.

Ive got 11 gb downloaded so far and it did peak at 9.1 for a bit. I suppose watching youtube videos (on phone) and surfing on my phone isnt helping either.

Until recently we had Verizon dsl. DL was .90 (yes, you read that right!) and ul was I think .35 or something. And that was if no one else was on another computer, especially on youtubes. Gaaaaaaaa!

:rolleyes:

Switched over to Xfinity on a Triple Play. While we are paying the same cost per month (uh, for now) as we were for tv/internet/phone, our dl's are now between 13 and 18mpbps, even with 3 or 4 people on the web at the same time, more channels, better phone service that includes caller ID, voicemail and other stuff.

No complaints.

Forum List

Back