what no threads on that guy caught smoking pot on the job?

Preparing for my job in the Air Force was great.

I had never drank, smoked or taken any drugs until I started smoking cigarettes at DLIFLC in 1979.

After that and a night playing a variation of quarters at the NCO club where my classmates had to carry me unconscious to the car and back to the dorm, they took me off-base from DLIFLC to Seaside and we did bong hits. One good hit and wow, the music sounded like it was suddenly right next to my ears. The sweetest sound I ever heard.

We smoked occasionally while learning Chinese, and also we went to a remote wooded area to smoke in San Angelo, TX near Goodfellow AFB. I learned how to flip a beer cap by snapping your fingers. Those were the best times by far.

Last edited:
I had never drank, smoked or taken any drugs until I started smoking cigarettes at DLIFLC in 1979.

After that and a night playing a variation of quarters at the NCO club where my classmates had to carry me unconscious to the car and back to the dorm, they took me off-base from DLIFLC to Seaside and we did bong hits. One good hit and wow, the music sounded like it was suddenly right next to my ears. The sweetest sound I ever heard.

We smoked occasionally while learning Chinese, and also we went to a remote area to smoke in San Angelo, TX near Goodfellow AFB. I learned how to flip a beer cap by snapping your fingers. Those were the best times by far.
I thought the military drug tested?

I'm surprised you didn't throw up if you were drunk the first time you got high

We smoked occasionally while learning Chinese, and also we went to a remote area to smoke in San Angelo, TX near Goodfellow AFB. I learned how to flip a beer cap by snapping your fingers. Those were the best times by far.
I could never get into playing quarters, the thought of a dirty coin in a beer gave me the willies...

Then they only tested when you got in trouble for certain things...and that was not until the early 1980's

I could never get into playing quarters, the thought of a dirty coin in a beer gave me the willies...

Yea, that is why I said a variation of it. We had just started with our Speak Chinese course and knew maybe a few hundred words in Chinese. What I remember best is that they kept filling up my glass with beer. I never started but a guy with the last name of Little seemed to always get it going. We went around a long table, each of us counting to ten in Chinese. If you got it wrong, you had to drink.

Then they only tested when you got in trouble for certain things...and that was not until the early 1980's
My buddy served 1988-93 Navy. I remember he said they did random testing then so he didn't want to chance it

Yea, that is why I said a variation of it. We had just started with our Speak Chinese course and knew maybe a few hundred words in Chinese. What I remember best is that they kept filling up my glass with beer. I never started but a guy with the last name of Little seemed to always get it going. We went around a long table, each of us counting to ten in Chinese. If you got it wrong, you had to drink.
I just drank a beer, i always drank mine fast and by the pitcher..One bar in OKC had all you could drink beer for five dollars..Man that place was full of wasted people..The carpet would squish and the toilet was a long trough always over flowing..

We always had random testing.

I was never tested, but I thought it best to not take the chance.

One mistake or infraction could get you tested.

No, I loved the hell out of getting high with them.

And I was never drinking while getting high. I never noticed any of my classmates drinking except at the NCO club. There was a vending machine downstairs from the dorm that we would infrequently get a can of beer from. And I would go down there a few times in glee. Because I was still underage and buying beer was a big thing.

I did throw up that night after the NCO club in my bunk bed and in the person's car who took me back. My roommate told me about it the next morning kind of staring at me and recounting how the vomit was dripping down during the night.

Last edited:

My buddy served 1988-93 Navy. I remember he said they did random testing then so he didn't want to chance it
I started in 1982 and finished in 1988. The only time they would test you then was if you got a DWI..

I didn't hear anything about that, and they never tested us. We were at the Presidio of Monterey, and it was well known that it had a very lax drug policy then. Later on, I found out, I forget when maybe around ten years ago, during the time I took a tour of DLIFLC, the base became virtually drug free.

Also, I kept in touch with my best friend from my classmates for 10 years.

We always had random testing.

I was never tested, but I thought it best to not take the chance.

One mistake or infraction could get you tested.

They probably didn't want to risk losing one of the Chinese class on an unreliable drug test. They had mega-bucks invested in us.

Just to review, DLIFLC was a cakewalk for anyone who wanted to get high, but our next base for the other side of training at Goodfellow AFB may have been the strictest one about drugs.

I know a little bit more about that because after losing the Chinese job in Texas, I was sent to FE Warren AFB where I was in the motor pool and had a truly great friend named Kevin. From his behavior and all the things he said, I believe he was in the OSI. Well, he told me he was. One thing he said was that one of his jobs was to search airplanes landing there for drugs and that he just loved to bust SP's. :laugh:

Last edited:
I have some very fond memories of my time in the Military, Some of them (not that many) were Military related. I spent close to 30 months in Germany and learned more than I could ever imagine. The Military in 1976 was a dumping ground for the judicial system and instead of criminal charges lots of people choose to go into the US Army. Alcohol and drugs were rampant. Lifers were mostly Viet Nam Vets and loved to drink. Any time you can buy a half gallon of Jim Beam for $6.00, shit was going to happen. It's just the way it was...
The Military changed during the eighties for the good...

Surprised no threads on this, I thought someone would have posted it by now.

Basically this maintenance guy gets caught smoking pot on the job , he gets fired and a judge gives him his job back....

Earth to judges:

Pot is illegal federal offense.

He is a maintenance guy operating deadly tools.

1000,s upon 1,000s of people lost their jobs because of failed drug tests.

Hey judges you are a moron.

Man fired for smoking pot in state-owned vehicle gets job back, court decides
People who smoke pot regularly don't get stupid on it. I could get high and do anything.

I wish I got high as I used to
So you are one of those "I work better when I'm high" morons.

No, you just think you work better because you're fucking stoned. Everyone else on the crew knows you don't work better when you're stoned on wacky tobacky. You just work slower and dumber.

I just drank a beer, i always drank mine fast and by the pitcher..One bar in OKC had all you could drink beer for five dollars..Man that place was full of wasted people..The carpet would squish and the toilet was a long trough always over flowing..

A friend of mine when I was hospitalized for a month at Lackland AFB taught me how to drink hard liquor. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that all you have to do to keep from throwing up is push it back down your throat when you feel the gag or something like that. So yea, I was at least nine out of ten times drinking beer then, and I may have gotten to drinking whiskey more regularly if it were not for one very dry freezing night at FE Warren, when I drank a large bottle of peppermint Schnapps. I had a wonderful time, but the hangover was too much. :lol:

Whiskey may have seemed too much of a task to undertake, idk.

Kevin and I went to a bar in Denver while we were at FE Warren. A great trip, but that's another story. lol

Last edited:
The employee was in a state owned vehicle. He should have killed a family of five and given surviving parents and siblings a huge payoff against the state.

Surprised no threads on this, I thought someone would have posted it by now.

Basically this maintenance guy gets caught smoking pot on the job , he gets fired and a judge gives him his job back....

Earth to judges:

Pot is illegal federal offense.

He is a maintenance guy operating deadly tools.

1000,s upon 1,000s of people lost their jobs because of failed drug tests.

Hey judges you are a moron.

Man fired for smoking pot in state-owned vehicle gets job back, court decides
People who smoke pot regularly don't get stupid on it. I could get high and do anything.

I wish I got high as I used to
So you are one of those "I work better when I'm high" morons.

No, you just think you work better because you're fucking stoned. Everyone else on the crew knows you don't work better when you're stoned on wacky tobacky. You just work slower and dumber.

That's right. I only went to class high one time while at DLIFLC. I learned my lesson from that at how stupid it is. One of my friends, Ed, who often wore sunglasses in my Chinese Class often went to lectures stoned. :laugh:

Forum List

Back