What paranormal mystery fascinates you?

And that you wish you could solve?

Where paranormal 'reality' is concerned I'm a lot happier keeping it a mystery. If ghosts for example really existed wouldn't that then be a massive security issue? How would government and business respond to such a risk?

If the UFO debate qualifies as paranormal, I'm equally happy with it being unknown. If aliens really are buzzing around Earth and/or governments are working with them, that'd be more than a little disconcerting. What are the aliens doing that they're working with some humans, but only in secret? That doesn't sound good. Conversely, if aliens aren't here, then what's the whole thing all about? Most are insane, some is government disinformation? That actually makes sense but is kinda depressing.

Sometimes knowing isn't preferable to believing.

I'm so serial.

500px-MANBEARPIG.png

I don't know. That is a good one. I think there are some mysteries that cannot be solved since they are metaphysical phenomena that one seeks physical proof of, which is impossible. However, as to physical mysteries, maybe Loch Ness or Bigfoot, or maybe whether there are fairies that exist in some hyper physical state that are seen from time to time.

Dragons: Spiritual Eeriness

Crypto-biological investigations into the evolutionary existence of dragon-like creatures are intriguing. Dragon stories seem to combine elements of paranormalism with elements of spiritualism in an odd but interesting way. Christians reference dragons to talk about moral corruption in everyday life.

So to begin, I have three stories about lifestyle pseudo-spiritual paranormalism that are haunting:

1. Two hippies in 1960s San Francisco were competing for the affections of a beautiful European gypsy woman, and one man sabotaged the other and people cheered him on, since they were fascinated psychologically by the competition for a beautiful and exotic gypsy.

2. A wild movie star whose decadent lifestyle was 'overlooked' by adoring fans hypnotized by the power of cinema.

3. A narcotics-smuggling stewardess flying through the eerie Bermuda Triangle (the cryptic region in the North Atlantic where rumors of disappearing vessels abound) on her work flight thought she saw an angel outside the plane window and believed the angel was warning her of impending doom.

Such pseudo-spiritualism paranoia story characters perhaps comprise a modern age legion of over-indulgence euphoria, a metaphysical battle notion presented in the conflagration-spirit Hollywood (USA) movie "Army of Darkness" (1992).

So I guess what haunts me are stories about spiritual ditches or ghostly 'lakes of fire.' They seem religious but feel haunting. There must be some coincidence between folk tales of ghosts and Christian references of the Holy Ghost. Such connections make stories about dragons feel very relevant to our times and also timelessly haunting.

Dragons move like serpents but can fly and breathe fire and have been used by Christians to characterize imagination corruption. Of course, Batman (DC Comics) can tackle dragons!

:cranky:

Dragon - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

dragon.jpg

Werewolves, and Vampires... Seems like back in the day, all kinds of people claimed contact with them, or were victims of them. Now? None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Nothing...
Did they all die off? Now it's all UFO abductions, and aliens... Hmmm...
Could all the above be total B.S.? I suspect the answer is yes. The only real question is,"why did people believe this nonsense to begin with"?

The Bridgewater Triangle.

Inside the Bridgewater Triangle

A lot of what has happened within the Fall River/Freetown State Forest is NOT in any way paranormal. It's a dumping ground for stuff like safes stolen from businesses and ripped open. For druggies to shoot up and maim/kill each other. In my younger days I frequented "The Ledge" - rarely after dark. These days many of the fire roads have been allowed to deteriorate to the point where going in there in anything other than a big-tired 4WD vehicle is pretty much impossible. Even the paved roads (Copicut Rd., Bell Rock Rd.) have become near impassible. I was through there last October in a mid-sized car and spent nearly 2 hours navigating less than 3 miles of the paved roads mostly dodging craters cleverly disguised as potholes.

What paranormal mystery fascinates you?

And that you wish you could solve?

The willful ignorance of the left.

Specifically as it pertains to the left's ability to deny / dehumanize rights and personhood to children in the womb 0 even as they demand rights and protections for fish, whales, spotted owls and even trees.

Did you get lost here in USMB? Take the political crap to the political forums please.

Did you get lost here in USMB? Take the political crap to the political forums please.

Not lost at all and I wasn't even being (intentionally) political.

I gave my most honest answer to the op. The first one that came to mind.

"What paranormal mystery fascinates you?

And that you wish you could solve?"

Paranormal is a name given to things that can not be explained by science.

In my opinion, everything can (eventually) be explained by science. Even if science doesn't have the ability to do so, yet. So, I would use "paranormal" as only a temporary descriptor.

That said, from what I can tell, scientists have not yet been able to fully understand how magnets and magnetism actually works, why it works, etc.

This is remarkable given we all use magnets in hundreds of ways every day of our lives.

I would really like to understand how magnets work.

I don't have any specific instance to your query. I thought you were asking in a more general sense about the myriad of paranormal phenomena, in which case, as much as all of it is interesting to one degree or another, the one that I find most fascinating and mind-screwing is "remote viewing".

Yes to the bold. ANY mystery that could be construed as paranormal.

Bermuda Triangle is a good one.

And what about that treasure shaft that nobody can get to? I don't think it is paranormal, but it IS a mystery.

Is that the one they did as an episode of IN SEARCH OF?

With Leonard Nimoy narrating, yeah. :thup:

Especially today

Forum List

Back