What would the Bible be rated if on tv?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
In the wake of the Duggar sex scandal, it's worth pointing out that the Bible has a lot to say about sex and violence among other things like rape, violence, and obediance to God and parents. So I'm wondering if Christianity isn't largely responsible for sexual abuse in churches and by clergy since the Bible mentions that rather a lot. Also in the Bible is incest as seems to have happened in the Duggar home though in limited fashion.

Yet the Bible is always thought of as something that's G-rated for how we encourage young children to read it and incorporate its teachings into their daily lives. But what happens if they absorb something about Lot's daughters both getting pregnant by him (Gen 19:36) then their father suggests they have to submit to him sexually?

Religion has been misused to commit heinous crimes for millenia. And Christianity is often the basis for sexual abuse here in the US. From 60s "Jesus freak" cults like Children of God (now called Family International,) to the Catholic clergy sex abuse scandal still coming to light, to the most recent evangelical homeschooling sex abuse accounts.

So shouldn't the Bible be 'R' rated or even 'X' (for pro-incest, pro-murder-in-the-name-of-God, pro-slavery, pro-infanticide, etc.?) And if it condones many things that would get a non-religious movie an R or even X-rating, why do we continue to indoctrinate children with it?

My opinion is the Bible is what you'd use of your intent was to abuse children and people. It contains things that if they appeared in a government pamphlet would cause a media frenzy covering it, death threat, and firebombings at whereever it was published. Yet because the Bible's been unbiquitos and institutionalized, like the ancient Greek pederasty practice we tolerate, condone, and encourage it's proliferation.

Last edited:
Showing Lot with his daughters might be ify. Israelites slaughtering entire towns right down to the animals could put viewers off. Certain parts would definitely get close ot X for sex and violence.

In the wake of the Duggar sex scandal, it's worth pointing out that the Bible has a lot to say about sex and violence among other things like rape, violence, and obediance to God and parents. So I'm wondering if Christianity isn't largely responsible for sexual abuse in churches and by clergy since the Bible mentions that rather a lot. Also in the Bible is incest as seems to have happened in the Duggar home though in limited fashion.

Yet the Bible is always thought of as something that's G-rated for how we encourage young children to read it and incorporate its teachings into their daily lives. But what happens if they absorb something about Lot's daughters both getting pregnant by him (Gen 19:36) then their father suggests they have to submit to him sexually?

Religion has been misused to commit heinous crimes for millenia. And Christianity is often the basis for sexual abuse here in the US. From 60s "Jesus freak" cults like Children of God (now called Family International,) to the Catholic clergy sex abuse scandal still coming to light, to the most recent evangelical homeschooling sex abuse accounts.

So shouldn't the Bible be 'R' rated or even 'X' (for pro-incest, pro-murder-in-the-name-of-God, pro-slavery, pro-infanticide, etc.?) And if it condones many things that would get a non-religious movie an R or even X-rating, why do we continue to indoctrinate children with it?

My opinion is the Bible is what you'd use of your intent was to abuse children and people. It contains things that if they appeared in a government pamphlet would cause a media frenzy covering it, death threat, and firebombings at whereever it was published. Yet because the Bible's been unbiquitos and institutionalized, like the ancient Greek pederasty practice we tolerate, condone, and encourage it's proliferation.

Come on Delta

Everyone knows you have to cut the Bible into digestible pieces for little kids. You don't introduce the heavier stuff until they become know it all teens..

The Bible is very interesting, but I don't think anyone can do it justice in a TV show or movie. There is too much material that people can't agree on, so part of the audience is sure to be unhappy.

Would think God sending an angel to slaughter first-borns alone would earn any literal depiction an 'R' rating. To say nothing of things a lot less dainty than that in there.

More history has been proven with a Bible in hand than any other archeological tool. It has never been proven to be inaccurate. What factual historical documents do you use Joe?

All of them. And science too. I read, I listen, I look - and then I form an opinion.

Let's just say that 4.5 billion years is a lot easier to believe than 6 literal days. ;)

Forget the Garden of Eden

I want to see the cherubims guarding the entrance with a flaming sword!!

Gen 3:24
"So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life."

I have strange taste in quotes, and this is one of my favorites from the Bible. Symbolically sums up what the relationship between man and god is. Literally--nonsensical since we can't find these magnificent guardians!!

Fiction.

More history has been proven with a Bible in hand than any other archeological tool. It has never been proven to be inaccurate. What factual historical documents do you use Joe?

Descriptiuon of where the Garden of Eden is springs readily to mind as an example of "proven to be wrong."

And where do you think it is?

Fiction.

Descriptiuon of where the Garden of Eden is springs readily to mind as an example of "proven to be wrong."

No where in real life. Reason's simple enough, if it really existed, according to Genesis there should be one or more cherubin with weapons guarding it. That no one's bumped into a cherub who waved a sword menacingly at them suggests it doesn't really exist. :)

All of them. And science too. I read, I listen, I look - and then I form an opinion.

Let's just say that 4.5 billion years is a lot easier to believe than 6 literal days. ;)

Then you'll be happy to know that the Bible describes the 6th dimension about 2 thousand years before Hawking. A day can be hours or years depending on the context. And if you'd like we can compare all of your history books of ancient Kings to the Biblical account of Kings to expose that fictional book. You first. Tell me what your history books tell you about King David. Let's start there......
An absence of knowledge does not create fiction, it is merely a lack of knowledge.

Last edited:

Then you'll be happy to know that the Bible describes the 6th dimension about 2 thousand years before Hawking. A day can be hours or years depending on the context. And if you'd like we can compare all of your history books of ancient Kings to the Biblical account of Kings to expose that fictional book. You first. Tell me what your history books tell you about King David. Let's start there......
An absence of knowledge does not create fiction, it is merely a lack of knowledge.

Worth mentioning that in the Genesis account of the Creation, the Sun didn't get made right away, consequently "day" is meaningless. The Sun didn't arrive until the 4th day (Gen 1:14-19) So the first 3 "days" could be any duration. :)

The Bible is very interesting, but I don't think anyone can do it justice in a TV show or movie. There is too much material that people can't agree on, so part of the audience is sure to be unhappy.
The program debuted with 11 million views. By April 26, the audience had fallen to 5 million. I think the problem is most of the viewers have either already read the book or very familiar with the plot.

Fiction.

No where in real life. Reason's simple enough, if it really existed, according to Genesis there should be one or more cherubin with weapons guarding it. That no one's bumped into a cherub who waved a sword menacingly at them suggests it doesn't really exist. :)

Here is the problem with you deducing on a tenth of the brain God gave you. The cherubim were placed there to prevent Adam and Eve's return. Why do you think they are still necessary? Have you bumped into cherubim anywhere else? Are they still in the Holy of Holies, or are they no longer needed there either? How many of Caesar's Roman Guards have you run into in Jerusalem lately? Does that mean Rome really didn't exist?

Forum List

Back