Why circumcision lowers risk of HIV

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
(TIME.com) -- Promising trials hinted that circumcision could lower rates of HIV infection, but until now, researchers didn't fully understand why.

Now, in a study published in the journal mBio, scientists say that changes in the population of bacteria living on and around the penis may be partly responsible.

Relying on the latest technology that make sequencing the genes of organisms faster and more accessible, Lance Price of the Translational Genomics Research institute (TGen) and his colleagues conducted a detailed genetic analysis of the microbial inhabitants of the penis among a group of Ugandan men who provided samples before circumcision and again a year later.

While the men showed similar communities of microbes before the operation, 12 months later, the circumcised men harbored dramatically fewer bacteria that survive in low oxygen conditions. They also had 81% less bacteria overall compared to the uncircumcised men, and that could have a dramatic effect on the men's ability to fight off infections like HIV, says Price.

Why circumcision lowers risk of HIV - CNN.com

And a total dickectomy would practically make getting HIV though intercourse entirely impossible.

Better safe than sorry, eh?

hey Im sorry but I cant help but add that the circumsized penis is way more attractive.

sorry undone gents

we know the kind of places you will put your wackadoddle noodle.

cleanliness is next to godliness

hey Im sorry but I cant help but add that the circumsized penis is way more attractive.

sorry undone gents

we know the kind of places you will put your wackadoddle noodle.

cleanliness is next to godliness

:eek:

If you say so.

And a total dickectomy would practically make getting HIV though intercourse entirely impossible.

Better safe than sorry, eh?

Well sure...if you want to be drastic. But, 81% more bacteria that hinders fighting off infections and also hinders your immune system? Seems like pretty big number. If you are pretty sexually active, sounds like something an uncircumcised man should consider.

It is my understanding that no double leg amputee ever gets athletes foot.

Likewise I am informed that no person ever having undergone a decapitation ever has to worry about another bad hair day.

Safety first!

Men may have these procedures done for many different reasons. I would think the potential health benefits would be a deciding factor though...but who knows. No different then woman having breast enlargements, reductions, tummy tucks...or any number of other surgeries done on their bodies.

But...yes...I know... when it comes to their male organs...men get a little squeamish. But to cut it off completely to prove a point? Whatever floats your boat I guess. I guess it would be beneficial if you are planning a career in drag shows however. :tongue:

Forum List

Back