Yet another reason there is a shortage of truckers

Apples and oranges. There's a scientifically accepted methodology for determining the rate of metabolism for alcohol from the time of consumption, such that if a person tests 0.08 or above BAL, it can be determined whether the person was considered legally intoxicated at the time an accident or traffic stop occurred.

The same cannot be said for THC. Someone can test positive for THC metabolites, but because it is fat soluble, and metabolites can remain present for more than a week, there is no way to reliably determine whether the person injested a THC containing substance hours ago or days ago, and hence no way to determine whether the person was under the influence of THC at the time of an accident or traffic stop. That's why THC positive tests are generally inadmissible in civil cases involving motor vehicle collisions.
You are correct. Thank you

I used to have an SO that was a pothead who also occasionally indulged in alcohol consumption. Since I used neither, I was able to be an unimpaired observer. He drove MUCH better when he was toked up than when he'd been drinking.
There have been studies done on this, and they generally reflect what you observed. Of course, everyone reacts to these compounds differently, so it can't be applied across the board in all insances, but generally speaking they attributed the results to people tending to be more aware of their degree of impairment while under the influence of THC, and therefore engaging in less risky behaviors while driving, comparatively to those under the influence of alcohol (consistent with the reduced inhibition effects of alcohol). In both cases (alcohol and THC), however, drivers were notably slowed in terms of reaction time and situational awareness of potential hazards.

Apples and oranges. There's a scientifically accepted methodology for determining the rate of metabolism for alcohol from the time of consumption, such that if a person tests 0.08 or above BAL, it can be determined whether the person was considered legally intoxicated at the time an accident or traffic stop occurred.

The same cannot be said for THC. Someone can test positive for THC metabolites, but because it is fat soluble, and metabolites can remain present for more than a week, there is no way to reliably determine whether the person injested a THC containing substance hours ago or days ago, and hence no way to determine whether the person was under the influence of THC at the time of an accident or traffic stop. That's why THC positive tests are generally inadmissible in civil cases involving motor vehicle collisions. There's one particular metabolite, 11-nor-9-carboxy-THC, that is present for a much shorter time, and we've actually tried to proffer expert testimony establishing a methodology for determining time of intoxication (similar to the chart used for alcohol), but it's an unsettled area of law, with most courts not willing to accept it at this point.

Also, the only reliable test for THC is GC/MS, which is more expensive and takes longer than the common cheap tests, which use the immunoassay (IA) method that is far less reliable, and frequently renders false positives.
It seems to me that the simplest solution is to go with the most reliable test that we can until a better one is established and if that means the time frame is huge, like a week, then you are well aware of the time frames that you are dealing with.

IOW, though shit if you were not actually impaired. You take on the responsibilities associated with your actions and you have the opportunity to know and understand what testing you will be subject to when operating an 80,000lb metal box traveling 60mph down a crowded road.

My nieces are bus drivers and have never been recreational users, but they both have restless leg syndrome, possibly caused or exacerbated by long hours sitting and driving. I wish they could use cannabis because it's very good medicine for RLS. Although I hate the idea of anyone driving under the influence, I think truckers should be able to use if they're at least eight hours from getting behind the wheel.
Every beneficial treatment involving cannabinoids can be purchased legally.

THC is only one of many Cannabinoids.

It only requires a little reasearch.

I take CBL, and CBD.

They work, and i don't have to be high or risk employment because of them.

Every beneficial treatment involving cannabinoids can be purchased legally.

THC is only one of many Cannabinoids.

It only requires a little reasearch.

I take CBL, and CBD.

They work, and i don't have to be high or risk employment because of them.

Unfortunately, my nieces' employers are not distinguishing between cannabinoids.

Unfortunately, my nieces' employers are not distinguishing between cannabinoids.
They only test for THC, the psychoactive component of the plant.

Marijuana tests, are THC tests.

However, there are other beneficial cannabinoids in the plant...CBC/CBD/CBG.

So all of this hand wringing about..."oh my nerve pain!" "Oh my spastic colon!"

"If deh gubmint would only permit me to do bong rips like I was 17 again..."

Is bullshit.

It's a character statement if anything.

If a trucker does not have the self control to not smoke pot then I would not want him to work for my company.

Be an adult...and don't do bong rips on the weekend...I know it's so terrible and hard but you're an adult now.

Nation of children.

Besides you stink like skunk piss when you do.
You may own the truck but you do not own the human.

Yeah well...humans have to pass DOT.

So 'ownership' is slightly moot here.

Thanks for your input though Cheech.
You can watch a shortage of truckers since they have decided their own fate. Thanks for your input Adolf.

You can watch a shortage of truckers since they have decided their own fate. Thanks for your input Adolf.
No worries, degenerate.

You should bring coffee to your ex-trucker buddies down at the unemployment office.

Perhaps you can provide some tips as they attempt to find work in another field.

Vagrancy? Panhandling? Petty Theft?

They won't be in anything DOT related for a very long time, if ever, if they pop on a panel.

No worries, degenerate.

You should bring coffee to your ex-trucker buddies down at the unemployment office.

Perhaps you can provide some tips as they attempt to find work in another field.

Vagrancy? Panhandling? Petty Theft?

They won't be in anything DOT related for a very long time, if ever, if they pop on a panel.
My eldest son is a driver yet has no problem getting and keeping his job.

But without the blood or urine test, how does anyone know when you smoked it?

How does the govt monitor alcohol intake?

As I understand it, there's an important difference, which makes marijuana more troublesome.

Testing for alcohol directly, or nearly-directly, tests the amount of actual alcohol in one's blood, at the time the sample is taken.

Pull someone over for suspected drink driving, take a sample, and if it tests above a certain level of alcohol, you can reliably establish that yes, he was drunk.

As I understand it, testing for most other drugs doesn't directly test the amount of drug active in the subject's system at the time; it tests for metabolites that are produced as the body processes the drug, and which can be present long after the effects of the drug itself have worn off. I understand that it's even possible to be directly under the influence of many drugs, probably including marijuana, and to test negative for the drug because the body hasn't yet processed enough of it into the metabolites that the test detects.

For many drugs, we just don't have a test that determines to what degree, if any, a subject is under the influence of an impairing drug at the time the sample is taken.

It seems to me that for now, the only viable solution is for it to be clearly understood by all involved that there are just certain professions, that you cannot be in, if you are going to use certain drugs. Truck drivers, forklift operators, heavy equipment operators, pilots, construction worker, etc. Period. If you want to be a druggie, then you need to choose a profession that doesn't involve putting other people in danger.

Don't be a truck driver if you smoke it. It IS that easy. Fixes the problem. If you want more truck drivers do something to attract them. Again problem solved. There isn't a labor shortage.

So Truckers should be able to smoke pot and drive?

Is that what you are saying?
Problem being that tests for pot only indicate whether you've smoked it in the last month or so...There is no test for here-and-now intoxication.

Don't be a truck driver if you smoke it. It IS that easy. Fixes the problem. If you want more truck drivers do something to attract them. Again problem solved. There isn't a labor shortage.
Right....But they can drink booze until their liver explodes.

Forum List

Back