Young Libertarians Aim to Be Players in 2014 Elections

The panic of 1907? You mean the one that was the result of a stimulus and "using the treasury as a central bank" under then sec. of the treasury Leslie Shaw two years prior? That led to a contraction that was exacerbated by the federal government allowing banks to stop payment in specie?
That one?

Surely you jest.

The biggest issue I have with e-Libertarians is just how divorced from reality they are on economic issues when they intersect with historical events. They can quote long dead philosophers, but can't really explain how they would fix various problems without falling back on the "free market" without realizing that the "free market" created many of the those problems in the first place. They bitch about government intervention in the form of stuff like the EPA and USDA, but never quite realize that it was companies dumping stuff in rivers and selling rotten food and never policing themselves that led to normal folks demanding government do something if the free market can't/won't.

Nonsense. It is government meddling and planning that has caused the problems. Can you give an example of where the free market failed?

This should be good.

How about the industrial revolution in the U.S. from about 1850 to about 1920.

It's like they have never seen a history book ....

But I've been through this debate enough and I know what it sounds like. Revisionist history and wistfully daydreaming about "the golden days of yore"

Really? OK, I'll throw you off the proverbial cliff as well. But I'll have to do it ina hour or two. I have to meet with the Bobs now.

These people aren't running as third party candidates. Do any of you read?

Libertarianism is popular on internet chat boards. In the real world no one cares about them and they suck at attracting votes. Their prime use seems to be to get Democrats elected.

Says the guy that votes for the party that has added half of the 17 trillion in deficit spending...

Hard to hear wut yer saying from so far below me.

Libertarianism is popular on internet chat boards. In the real world no one cares about them and they suck at attracting votes. Their prime use seems to be to get Democrats elected.

Says the guy that votes for the party that has added half of the 17 trillion in deficit spending...

Hard to hear wut yer saying from so far below me.

Remind me what Libertarians have added.
Oh yeah, they have yet to win much in the way of elections or hold national office. Easy to criticize when you're out of power.

The biggest issue I have with e-Libertarians is just how divorced from reality they are on economic issues when they intersect with historical events. They can quote long dead philosophers, but can't really explain how they would fix various problems without falling back on the "free market" without realizing that the "free market" created many of the those problems in the first place. They bitch about government intervention in the form of stuff like the EPA and USDA, but never quite realize that it was companies dumping stuff in rivers and selling rotten food and never policing themselves that led to normal folks demanding government do something if the free market can't/won't.

Nonsense. It is government meddling and planning that has caused the problems. Can you give an example of where the free market failed?

This should be good.

It's right there in the post to which you seem to be blind: "[C]ompanies dumping stuff in rivers and selling rotten food and never policing themselves that led to normal folks demanding government do something if the free market can't/won't."

This should be good.

It's right there in the post to which you seem to be blind: "[C]ompanies dumping stuff in rivers and selling rotten food and never policing themselves that led to normal folks demanding government do something if the free market can't/won't."
Maybe you didnt udnerstand the word "redacted" in his post?

Kids want to go back to the 18th century...Not me. ;)
Why NOT? YOU certainly would have more liberty...but it means YOU would have to work...is that what it is Matt? Would YOU miss your Gubmint check that much?

This should be good.

That's not a market failure, it's a social failure. And the fact is, most of these selling rotten food claims and dumping waste claims are entirely exaggerated.

This should be good.

How about the industrial revolution in the U.S. from about 1850 to about 1920.

It's like they have never seen a history book ....

But I've been through this debate enough and I know what it sounds like. Revisionist history and wistfully daydreaming about "the golden days of yore"

From 1850 to about 1920?

Well, your timing is strange here, for showing the failures of free markets. Considering we lost any semblance overall of capitalism following the installation of the federal reserve in 1914, we'd have to cut you off there and move back to see if we can find any market failures. Furthermore, Genius, in your haste to throw insults abotu reading history books, the industrial revolution is understood to have taken place most assertively from 1760 to around 1840 in spurts.

So, do you want to try again and use actual history as your guide, or is just insulting your betters good enough for you and you're ok with the lashes you've been given?

Dipshit.

Now, if we are addressing the second coming, then you'd have the introduction of steam power and railroads. Yes, railroads. The time when government stepped in to "foster" the railway expansion by giving land grants and actually PAYING contract developers to build. Topping this off, the Sherman Act and the McKinley Tariff fueld the panic of 1893, which led to the subsequent calls by guys like Shaw, to use the treasury as a central bank to protect the railroad bust fueled by overproduction and misallocation.

In other words, the second industrial revolution was marred heavily by both govenrment corporatism in both the steel and rail industries, as well as government disrupting and distorting the nations finances through shit like the McKinley Act.

Very little semblance again of the free market.

Forum List

Back