A bitch in heat....

JustAnotherNut

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2015
We now have a couple of pups added to the chaos. They are brother/sister and now about 5 months old. We do plan to have them both fixed, but not until about a year old. From what I understand, delaying spay/neuter a few months is a better health option for larger breeds. These pups are pitbulls.

Anyway, I've only had males in the past so I really have no idea about females going thru heat cycles. From what I have read, it usually happens somewhere between 6 to 24 months. Larger breeds are a bit later, but also it depends on the specific dog. Yes, I know they lick themselves alot, become swollen, discharge with possible blood and rub against everything...........that all being said, I don't think she's ready just yet, but I want to take a proactive course with this to prevent any unwanted surprise litters.....especially between siblings. Not a good thing.

I see they have doggie diapers and seems to be the best option for us cause I'm not locking her up for a month at a time for no fault of her own and it's just not possible anyway. Does anyone here have any experience with female pups, diapers, etc to share so I know what I'm up against???

PS.......sorry for the thread title, but needed an attention getter or it would be lost in the election threads

One of my friends used them on her female. She didnt like them and took them off whenever mom wasnt looking lol

My daughter has a male and a female pittie. Luckily she had the male for a few years before she got the female.

The diapers work, if the dog will leave them alone. Look into getting some PJs for the her. That will add a layer.

One of my friends used them on her female. She didnt like them and took them off whenever mom wasnt looking lol

I used to sneak my make-up to school when Mom wasn't looking. I'd just get up in the morning and think I'd look better with about a pound and a half of blue powder on my eyelids.

My daughter has a male and a female pittie. Luckily she had the male for a few years before she got the female.

The diapers work, if the dog will leave them alone. Look into getting some PJs for the her. That will add a layer.
'

Thank you, good idea on the pjs.

We were only going to get one dog, but somehow ended up with 2. They are supposed to be both my sons dogs, but they work and are gone often and I'm the doggy sitter

I used to sneak my make-up to school when Mom wasn't looking. I'd just get up in the morning and think I'd look better with about a pound and a half of blue powder on my eyelids.
Pulling them boys like crazy, I bet

I think we all did, didn't we???

I would do that too with tons of make up, then I'd yawn making my eyes water and I'd forget the makeup and wipe my face with my sleeve or whatever was handy. Good grief the looks I'd get from everyone. Then I'd look in the mirror. Talk about scary. I finally gave up on makeup.

I think we all did, didn't we???

I would do that too with tons of make up, then I'd yawn making my eyes water and I'd forget the makeup and wipe my face with my sleeve or whatever was handy. Good grief the looks I'd get from everyone. Then I'd look in the mirror. Talk about scary. I finally gave up on makeup.

One time I snuck a cute halter top to school in my backpack. I changed into it and was ever so daring and lovely until some bitch stole my backpack and I had to go home in my halter top. My mom 'bout slapped my head lumpy.

"Can we get a dog? I promise I will take care of it!" Every parent has heard those words.

Yes, been there done that........this time it was kinda my idea since our old Jack Russell was 15 years old and having 'issues'. I finally had to make THAT decision to be put down. I was hoping getting a pup would help perk him up.

Anyway, the plan was for 1 dog........then my other son wanted a pup as well. Hey, they are paying for the dogs needs and they do take care of them when they're home.

Just think, I was tempted to get another pup for myself but didn't. Thank GAWD. It's hard enough dealing with 2 pups. Training has been kiinda sketchy cause they 'feed' off each other & don't want to listen. We'll get there, it's just slow going at the moment

Yes, been there done that........this time it was kinda my idea since our old Jack Russell was 15 years old and having 'issues'. I finally had to make THAT decision to be put down. I was hoping getting a pup would help perk him up.

Anyway, the plan was for 1 dog........then my other son wanted a pup as well. Hey, they are paying for the dogs needs and they do take care of them when they're home.

Just think, I was tempted to get another pup for myself but didn't. Thank GAWD. It's hard enough dealing with 2 pups. Training has been kiinda sketchy cause they 'feed' off each other & don't want to listen. We'll get there, it's just slow going at the moment

I'd rather live in a house with 2 dogs than live without a dog.

We have a pit/german shorthaired pointer mix. Picture a pit with long legs and inexhaustible stamina. lol

Pits can be difficult to train until they are 2 or 3 years old. And stubborn until they are......well, 18 years old. lol

We've had dogs of all kinds, shapes and sizes. All rescue.

Right now, we have two small dogs (My Sam's supposed to be small, but he's a fatty fat) that own us. They tell us what to do, what to buy and boss us around all day.

Picture a pit with long legs and inexhaustible stamina. lol

Yep, we got that X2. Good grief I wish I had that much energy, cause I'm exhausted. I got tired of trying to chase them to get whatever they stole so I've been teaching them how to play fetch......and bring it back to me. Some days are easier than others and I can only do one at a time or else they get to playing & fighting over the item.

These two are Pit mixes. Mom is a full Pit, but unsure of the father. It's thought it was their neighbor dog that is German Shepherd/Chow mix. BUT out of a litter of 10 pups, none of them have the longer pointed ears, fluffy fur or a black tongue (Chow trait). They all looked Pit.

We also have another dog that is a German Shepherd/Lab/Pit mix that is around 10 years old. He has been training them in his own fashion........like when they get too wild, he lets out a gutteral bark/growl that shakes the foundation, but the pups settle right down.

I've had the experience with stubborn already with the Jack. He would do whatever he wanted. Sometimes we were on the same page, most times not. I always called him my pint sized Pit, cause he was.

Some days, when the dogs are pushing their luck I think we should have gotten cats instead.

We've had dogs of all kinds, shapes and sizes. All rescue.

Right now, we have two small dogs (My Sam's supposed to be small, but he's a fatty fat) that own us. They tell us what to do, what to buy and boss us around all day.

That's the way of it with animals. Isn't it??? Having the 3 dogs and a cat, I am feeling so abused

Forum List

Back